• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Show us gateways to communities

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
If all else fails, just zone it Ag, then they can do whatever they want:smirk:
I always said when there's a state highway running through it and an odd mix of strip commercial/industrial, ag, and residential, just zone it "Gateway," otherwise known as the "As-Is Zone."

I would support a thread split where people share pictures of what their zone called "Gateway" looks like. I think it may be the most aspirational zoning name ever as most are "the first thing you see coming into town" and are also hideous.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

I think it may be the most aspirational zoning name ever as most are "the first thing you see coming into town" and are also hideous.
It's certainly the most aspirational name ever, but how many communities would actually want the world to think "welcome to XXXX, this is what we're all about" based on what greets you off the interstate exit ramp? Good call Faust!

Image result for ugly interstate exits

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The picture in my hometown's wiki is a terrible gateway shot. I think they're trying to get the downtown Buffalo skyline in there but what it ends up saying is "Land of High Tension Power Lines. And a Mall"

jsk1983

Cyburbian
The picture in my hometown's wiki is a terrible gateway shot. I think they're trying to get the downtown Buffalo skyline in there but what it ends up saying is "Land of High Tension Power Lines. And a Mall"

So what do you suggest?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We used the gateway concept to enact design standards to improve the built environment. It's improved the the main corridors in my jurisdiction.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So what do you suggest?
Clearly that pig could use a little lipstick. Maybe a mini-park with a fountain and a sign that says 'welcome to....". And the high tension lines and mall parking lot can serve as the backdrop to that beautiful scene.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

It's certainly the most aspirational name ever, but how many communities would actually want the world to think "welcome to XXXX, this is what we're all about" based on what greets you off the interstate exit ramp? Good call Faust!

Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

500 South in SLC.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Personally, I think this might be one of the most impressive.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the "gateway" to Downtown Newark driving southbound from the North Ward. The overpass is I-280 and NJ Transit Montclair-Boonton/Morris & Essex rail line.

Once you pass under the overpass, the area to the left which has a defunct baseball stadium shown (now demolished) will become the new Riverfront Square mixed use development https://riverfrontsq.com/.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What do y'all think about 'gateway arches' at boundaries? Now before everyone starts piling on about how it's nothing but 'lipstick on a pig' or 'feelgood planning' or even just overdone to death, they DO actually create some sense of 'arrival' in many cases wouldn't you say? That is if they're done correctly.

Take Frankenmuth, MI for example