• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Cool 🕶️ Show us yer favorite dives

Planit

Cyburbian
There used to be a $1 Bud night there at one time.

Moderator note:

Maister: split from RTDNTOTO

Last edited by a moderator:

TOFB

Cyburbian
How bout shots of our favorite haunts? Here is mine from college (still there) Cy's Roost

They would have quarter drafts on Monday Night. They were 32 ounces.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Used to be a favorite slopchute of mine in Havelock NC. It looked much nicer back then. Okay, come to think of it not really.

Heres another fine upstanding dispensary of potables I used to frequent. I don't even think it's a bar anymore. Used to be the Centershot Lounge

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Such an awesome thread idea:

I have several but I will start with this one....
The beer was dirt cheap, was served in disposable plastic cups, and the walls were covered with dollar bills stapled to the walls. The tables were left over wire coil spindles turned sideways and one time there was a sled dog on one of the tables. No one had the guts to tell the musher to get his dog down.

Go back to the 2008 photo... and that was nicer than when I was there.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Finally, where we went that last summer after high school (it was much more of a dump back then): Peacock's

and the drinking age was 18 so relax.

Planit

Cyburbian
Woodys Waterfront

One of my favorite places to get a pint back home. There's a small indoor area, but most of the seating is outside between the bldg and the seawall (just in front of the beige SUV)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The People's Republic, a couple miles from my house. It's been cleaned up from the days when it was Dos Amigos and Mike's before that, when stabbings happened on a typical weekend. The new owners cleaned the place up in several senses of the word.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mskis, they're out of business now but did you ever make it to Buds when you were in town?
That is an awesome old building, but no. I didn't.

I did however spend quite a bit of time at this haunt. This was the "last call" bar and we would get there around 1:15 AM and there would be maybe a dozen people... buy 1:45 it would be packed.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Bar de Courcelle as it appeared in 2007. St-Henri, Montreal, QC. This was my watering hole of choice when I was an undergrad and new to Montreal. It was a traditional, working class Quebecois bar that used to let me and my wacky friends host Punk Rock DJ nights circa. 2010-12. In the summer of 2013, the neighborhood began to rapidly gentrify and the landlord raised the rent and leased the space to new owners, who continue to operate the place as "Bar de Courcelle" but as a fancy wine bar, where you can get gourmet cheese platters and $90 bottles of Vin Nature. The OG Bar de Courcelle had $3 litre bottles of Labatt 50 and hosted line dancing competitions. RIP old Bar de Courcelle.

Coop Katacombes operated from roughly 2006 until December, 2019. It was one of the most well respected and well known Punk-Metal-Goth venue's in Eastern Canada and would draw touring acts from around the world. I saw Mob 47 (Swedish Hardcore 1982-87, reunited since 2005) and countless local acts here. The building still stands with its motorhead themed paintjob, vacant due the pandemic. Anyone could book a show there, the bar prices weren't absurd and the vibe was always welcoming, if rowdy.

Doomhammers was a literal speakeasy that operated in this one loft complex that has since become condos. I wont betray the actual address, but this is the vicinity. They had $2 PBRS and $2 shots, and it was the place to go after a gig. Lots of Punks, Metalheads and associated Hipsters used to live in the St-Henri district from give or take 2005 until about 2014, after the neighborhood saw massive waves of gentrification and reinvestment following several high profile condo development projects, the opening of the new Montreal General SuperHospital and the reconstruction of the Turcot Interchange. I was priced out of the neighborhood shortly after I finished my Undergad.

The Acheron was a Punk rock dive that operated from 2010 until Summer, 2016. It was one of the better venues in Brooklyn and one of the few "legit" venues in Brooklyn that would host all-ages shows during the early part of the last decade. The bar that was attached to it is still there, called the Anchored Inn that serves a similar clientele, and I hope it doesn't become a covid casualty.

The River Roadhouse in Hastings on Hudson, NY was a dive that drew the IRE and SCORN of many of the towns more well to do residents. It was also the unofficial meeting place of all the punks, metalheads, burnouts and weirdos of Lower Westchester County. The place was managed terribly and went bankrupt a few years ago, the sushi place next door took over the lease and made it their attached bar. When I first moved back in with my folks after University, this was one of my "safe spaces".

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Breezy Point Bar another quality Yooper dive, but the food is the staring attraction here. When we head up north, this is a usual stop for dinner. BTW, that is Little Bay De-Noc behind the building... which is part of Lake Michigan. The value of the land far exceeds the value of the business and the building. But since it has been there since 1944, they got in when the land was cheap.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Cass Cafe was my go-to spot when I was in grad school. All of my classes were in the evening in the Old Main building which is just a block up the street. At the time, I worked at a foundation downtown so I'd work until about 3:30 p.m. and get to the bar just before 4:00 to meet up with friends who were either headed to class or just getting out of class. I'd get my fill of $1 High Life or Black Label or $2 Ghetto Blasters until I had to stumble into class around 6:30 p.m.

The food was alright but the selling point of this place was the cheap beer.

The Bronx Bar, a few blocks to the west was our other place of choice. They had really great burgers but the beer specials weren't as great. While the Cass Cafe went for a more artsy vibe, the Bronx Bar was definitely more of a dive, complete with the bartender who looked like she'd been there 30 years with the same cigarette dangling from her lips.

Lastly, and the diviest of all three, was The Old Miami. This place was absolutely decrepit inside but there was almost always live music going on in the evenings inside or in the backyard area if the weather was nice. We got to see locals like Brendan Benson, Slumber Party, and Zombie Jesus or some "bigger" names when they came to town like the Brian Jonestown Massacre or Guided by Voices. This would be our spot to hit up after class got out or occasionally on the weekends.

I was in school down there from '06 to '09 and the neighborhood was just starting to really clean itself up. These days it's almost unrecognizable, especially along some of the side streets like Canfield, Willis, and Selden. I work with some folks who went to school there in the '80s and '90s and they say the entire "Cass Corridor" area is like a whole new world now.

Planit

Cyburbian
Crescent Moon is my current go-to place - they feature a different brewery every Wednesday with 6 of their 29 taps from that brewery. Its a great way to try different beers.

The other place is Olde Hickory Tap Room which was the first local craft brewery here (1994). Very wide range of beers, the brewmaster loves to experiment.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mine are all gone. :cursing:

The Sportsman Club (Valdosta, GA) - old school poolhall and bar downtown dating back to at least the 1950s. Replaced by a gastropub. I'm guessing there is still a very faint smell of cigarette smoke lingering in the woodwork.

The Deli Bar (Valdosta) - Hole in the wall in a strip center (anchored by a Napa Auto Parts store) in a commercial area on the northside of town. Good mix of blue collar workers and college kids...I started hanging out there at the age of 18...a friend of a friend vouched for me with the owner ("sure, he's 21"). Next door to a biker bar for an added layer of entertainment. Replaced by an empanada restaurant.

Zaxby's (Remerton, GA) - Yeah, Zaxby's, the corporate chain chicken place - bear with me here. This was the second one opened (early 1990s), and it was located in a former textile mill village incorporated as its own municipality (Remerton) which is completely surrounded by another municipality (Valdosta). Back in the day Remerton had laxer alcohol laws...this Zaxby's was in the house that had been the mill's superintendent's lodgings - had a bar ($5 pitchers of Killian's Irish Red), a pool table in a back room, and a huge deck. Great college hangout. Eventually the owners lost on an attempt to get approval from the city to tear it down and replace it with a new building (gee, it was a historic house - go figure)...had a very mysterious kitchen fire soon afterwards that led to it being condemned. Replaced by a cookie-cutter Zaxby's.

Two Pesos (Atlanta) - Yeah, yeah, another chain restaurant. But, at 1 AM on a typical day in the late 80s/early 90s, the clientele was a blend of college kids, restaurant workers getting a post-shift beer, hookers, drug dealers, and members of the Atlanta Police Department's notorious Red Dog unit. Replaced by TOD apartments.

Rocco's Pub (Marietta, GA) - Just a great place for wings and beer on a Friday night. Located in an aging strip center near The Big Chicken - the staff and the patrons seemed to have been poured in with the foundation (my favorite 'ol crusty waitress generally greeted me with "lemme guess - you want a 420?"). The owners eventually decided to retire to the mountains and closed it down. One of the waitresses bought it and reopened a few months later, but completely overextend herself with a foolish decision to expand into the adjacent space and quickly went under. Replaced by...oh, who cares, I'm still pissed it's gone.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The best hamburger I've had my entire life was served here at Louie's . I intentionally only come here maybe a couple times a year just to keep the experience special. $2.50 draft pints and awesome décor (including a stuffed bear) adorns the interior. This joint is the real Cheers.
1612367699439.png

Honorable mention: the Sportsman's Tavern in Paw Paw, MI

DVD

Cyburbian
My favorite $2 beer for lunch is gone. It changed names four times in a couple years, but it always had $2 something. The best burger is the Chuck Box (a frame building to the west). Mesquite grilled goodness and a cheap enough beer! If you go ask for the Big Juan

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I may have spent a few evenings at this dive with @Maister's coworkers... There were many pool games and it was tradition that when it getting about time to call it a night, one of the guys would load some change into the jukebox and we would depart when this played...
Also, while in grad school, this was a regular location. Waldos is an institution itself.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Also, while in grad school, this was a regular location. Waldos is an institution itself.
Yes, if you recall, the downstairs dungeon of that place used to be called The Pilsen Klub and served all imported beers. In fact, Dan and I quaffed a few there after Stanfest 2 about 14 or so years ago.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was the watering hole of my youth. It used to be called the Sunset Club, now it's a Mexican restaurant. No cover, lots of beer on top, reasonably priced drinks, and a good DJ. The interior layout of the place is still pretty much the same.

Grad school watering hole was Tumulty's. The original owners retired and sold a couple of years ago. It's now the George Street Tavern, they kept the interior the same :heart:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
back in the 70's this place was called the Acme Bar

The Acme Bar in Beach Haven.​

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
back in the 70's this place was called the Acme Bar

The Acme Bar in Beach Haven.​

Gosh, I would have expected everyone hanging out there to be wearing bat suits, rockets and carrying anvils

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Chug. 'nuff said. (I mean, come on...it's literally a basement bar)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.196...4!1sXru7LvezHrhaRsWjNz-lvw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Had just walked in with a friend and stood at the bar, when I collapsed - out light a like and hit the floor like a ton of bricks. It was late afternoon, and I had turned my thesis in about a week earlier, and I think the exhaustion mixed with relief just bowled me over. Needless to say, the bartender and the bouncer were not appreciative of my diving skills, but they quickly saw I was sober and wanted to get back home, so there was no scene. My friend walked me home (College Avenue) and I think I ordered Greek's Pizza for delivery ... :D

FTR, I have never fainted prior to this or since. My doctor said it probably was tension from the workload.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
About 20 years ago, this was a regular hang out for me, but back then it was called Tommy's Cabana Bar. It was here that I had my first buffalo wings and I was hooked.

While they had an outdoor area as well, I spend most my time indoors.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
<---this is me, on my birthday in 2011. I was on a group bicycle ride, a pub crawl, and someone decided that since it was my birthday I should wear that hat. One of the stops was at Ye Olde Bull and Bush and a photographer friend snapped this pic which was lit by the lights on the bar patio. Brian just said, "Hey what's that?" and I looked where he motioned and he took the pic. I've used this as my profile pic/avatar ever since.

(Cross-posted from the Explain Your Avatar thread, and I realized my avatar pic was snapped at a great dive.)