• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Show us your 'top!

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i find it interesting as to what people place on thier desktop at work. show off your desktop image...come on, you know you want to...

here's mine...just use the "print screen" key on your key board and paste into a paint/photo program and resize to fit (4.17 x 3.13 is what I resized to).

Attachments

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My background picture changes often, sometimes a few times a week. I get sick of looking at the same thing every day.

Attachments

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Here's my desktop wall paper image:
http://hometown.aol.com/citypan/images/blk3771487bsmall..jpg

It's a shot of the infamous Block 37 in Chicago's Loop (shot from the northwest corner of Randolph/Clark). This is a shot of it before the block was almost completely demo'ed by the Daly (2) administratiion for a development that never materialized. It was very controversial at the time, and is still a sore spot for many.

And here's it now:
http://images.forbes.com/images/2001/08/10/block37_400x300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm a minimalist when it comes to my desktop; no unnecessary icons, no overly complicated wallpaper. 1600 x 1200, baby!

See my mad page layout skillz!!!!1!!!

Attachments

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Mine's sentimental.....I miss her badly.....haven't seen her in over a month since my ex-wife shipped her off to Maine to live my ex-mother-in-law.... :(

Attachments

nerudite

Cyburbian
I just changed it yesterday, when I found out that I get to go on vacation back home to Cali in May! I'm so excited...

I changed it to the Jeffrey pine on top of Sentinel Dome in Yosemite. I'm going to be sitting there in less than two months!

Attachments

SGB

Cyburbian
Here's mine

This is a painting titled Chenango River, New York done in 1858 by American artist Jasper Francis Cropsey (1823 - 1900).

Note the failure of the dairy herdsmen to adhere to best management practices. ;)

The gallery website apparently has darkened all their online images since I downloaded this one for my desktop. :(

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well, I've had mine for a while, and haven't found any replacement yet, but I like it...and since I won't be seeing my computer again for at least a few months (I'm home for the weekend) I don't see why I should change it..

Here it is:
1192scampercom_-_Cinque_Terre-med.jpg

Not shown, icons... I only have 1 icon on (My Computer), so I just uploaded the raw image instead...:p

1577collage5cyburbia.jpg
I created this one some images I took off the internet, leaving space for icons down one side.

mod: Fixed by Giff

I give up. I can't figure out how to get it show up here. I uploaded it to the gallery, but just can't get it to show up in my post. (And, yes, I went to forum issues and help,etc)

martini

Cyburbian
Here's mine. I've been staring at this one for a while now....but its soo good and so inviting that I think I'll keep it for a while. Otherwise I do cycle throuhg my desk tops pretty regularly. They usually center around nature, maps, bikes, or cars, in that order. Or any combination thereof.

On another subject, what about screen savers? What do you space out on for that one, eh? I'm all about the Geiss products. Nifty stuff there, and you can tie in to your audio if you're lucky to have that and get even spacier.

Attachments

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
? Budgie - Who are those guys; which rock n' roll band are they ? :-$

? Martini - Where is that ?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I created this one some images I took off the internet, leaving space for icons down one side.
[/QUOTE]
Very nice! Another beautiful California wallpaper pattern... I love it!

nerudite said:
Very nice! Another beautiful California wallpaper pattern... I love it!
Thanks. And thanks to Giff for making it see-able. :)

I wanted something inspiring. I am not religious but trees have a "spiritual" feeling for me and it seems to also fit with my environmental studies degree. The two trees up top are very famous ones that have names. One is named Sherman. I would have to look up the other one. One of them is decorated as our "national christmas tree" every year.

I had some other images up but one was illegal in that I stole it off a site that sells pics and that bothered me and .... it just was kind of cluttered. So I liked the mirrored but distorted effect of a function called "mirage" in my photo-chopping :-D program. So I decided to "double" the images I was happiest with to fill the space I wanted filled without having so many pictures that it was distracting. I like how the bottom pic sort of looks like the base of the two upper pics. (I actually reversed the image to line up the similar colored tree bases and tops.)

Um, anyway, choosing redwoods or sequoias is sort of symbolic of "shooting for the stars". Kind of a "feed your mind" thing while I figure out how to launch a business from Nothin'. :-D

el Guapo

Capitalist
Singlemindedpursuitofroadmilestotheexclusionofallotherthings.

A man can dream...away foul carbohydrates!

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Desktop of [tt]schadenfreude[/tt], the Windows box at home. This is the computer I use for the majority of my surfing activity at home. That's a window manager in the top right corner.

Attachments

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Desktop of [tt]zeitgeist[/tt], the new dual-boot Linux/Windows XP backup/experimental box I built. This is GNOME on SuSE Linux.

Attachments

Doitnow

Cyburbian
1870Screen-med.jpg

Thats my screen from sometime. It took me around ten tries to upload the pic. Dunno whats wrong??its not happening.

(Dan) Edited image tags.

martini

Cyburbian
JNA said:
? Martini - Where is that ?
Some where in Central Colorado me thinks. Oh god, please let me find a job there! I'm so freakin' SICK of school right now....

JNL

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Your computer's not working?
Attachment no attach :(
Cyburbia is very slow for me today, pages are not fully loading and it's causing some problems with replying to messages. I'll try again.

Edit: I just get error messages when I try to upload attachments.

JNL said:
Attachment no attach :(
Cyburbia is very slow for me today, pages are not fully loading and it's causing some problems with replying to messages. I'll try again.

Edit: I just get error messages when I try to upload attachments.
From what I read in the forum issues, etc, area, you can't actually do "attachments" -- you have to upload to the gallery and then do a link. I tried an attachment, got nothing. And I uploaded to the gallery and couldn't figure out how to write the correct URL to get it to link. Giff had to fix my botched URL (and I tried several different approaches).

OT: do we get professional certifications for learning how to work this board? :p

JNL

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
From what I read in the forum issues, etc, area, you can't actually do "attachments" -- you have to upload to the gallery and then do a link.
Thankyou, MZ, I'm well aware of how to both attach images and link to images uploaded to the gallery. If you look back at the 1st page in this thread you will see examples of both (attached images are listed as such). My problem today was not a user error it was an Internet Explorer error message. If you want to learn more about inserting images there are plenty of threads to explain the process in the Help forum.

JNL said:
Thankyou, MZ, I'm well aware of how to both attach images and link to images uploaded to the gallery. If you look back at the 1st page in this thread you will see examples of both (attached images are listed as such). My problem today was not a user error it was an Internet Explorer error message. If you want to learn more about inserting images there are plenty of threads to explain the process in the Help forum.
Yeah, I looked some of that over. The big thing is that I will have to figure out the naming protocols for this forum. I understood what I needed to write at the begining of the url and at the end but I was missing a couple of strings of info in the middle. :-D

donk

Cyburbian
at my new job we are not allowed to personalize our computers without first clearing it with the IT department, not even short cuts or mods to the tool bars.

EG has the image that was my old wallpaper.

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Well, I've had mine for a while, and haven't found any replacement yet, but I like it...and since I won't be seeing my computer again for at least a few months (I'm home for the weekend) I don't see why I should change it..

Here it is:
1192scampercom_-_Cinque_Terre-med.jpg

Not shown, icons... I only have 1 icon on (My Computer), so I just uploaded the raw image instead...:p
Wow, I used to have the exact same desktop. Here's mine now:

Mountains outside of Salida/Poncha Springs, Colorado. Highway 50 I believe which crosses the divide at the Monarch Ski Resort (which is where I was over spring break) and head towards Gunnison.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Here is my desktop. Lake of the Clouds in the UP of Michigan. Reminding me of the best 10 days of last year, beign stuck in the wilderness with nothing but what is on my back. Can't wait to do it again.

Attachments

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Mine's sentimental.....I miss her badly.....haven't seen her in over a month since my ex-wife shipped her off to Maine to live my ex-mother-in-law.... :(

Good things are right around the corner ;)

tsc

Cyburbian
Ok.... today must be dog day for me.... this is old man Jordan on summer vacation..makes me laugh at least everytime I look at my desktop.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
tsc said:
Ok.... today must be dog day for me.... this is old man Jordan on summer vacation..makes me laugh at least everytime I look at my desktop.
[ot]

Guinness says "humpie humpie humpie humpie humpie humpie humpie humpie"[/ot]

NHPlanner

Staff member
updated mine for the first time in a while.....since it stopped raining, and I'm in a baseball mood....

Attachments

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
updated mine for the first time in a while.....since it stopped raining, and I'm in a baseball mood....
OT: Manchester is a growing minor leauge town it seems. Good luck to your AF2 Wolves (0-2)...they're facing my Conquest (0-1) tonite!

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
I don't know how to put mine on here, but mine is of my favorite hockey hottie #7 of the Manchester Monarchs Joe Rullier!!

NHPlanner

Staff member
GeogPlanner said:
OT: Manchester is a growing minor leauge town it seems. Good luck to your AF2 Wolves (0-2)...they're facing my Conquest (0-1) tonite!
[ot]It certainly is....First the Monarchs of the AHL, and now the Wolves of arenafootball2 and the Fisher Cats (the AA affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays in the Eastern League).

The new baseball stadium is scheduled for next year, should be a great addition to Manchester.

http://www.nhfishercats.com/new-ball-park/information-on-field.asp
[/ot]

Yeah, I gotta get a life. But, really, I updated the background on my desktop as a consequence of doing other stuff that is, theoretically, productive. No, I don't want to explain. :D