• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Sibling torment

JNL

Cyburbian
The thread about birth order got me thinking about the mean things siblings do to each other. What was the worst thing you did to your siblings? And what did they do to you?

I made my little sister believe that she was an alien, rejected by her alien parents and adopted by "my" parents out of pity. This was a campaign that lasted several weeks, and by the end she wasn't sure if she was human or not!

How mean!

Oh god. I was an evil evil big sister. I used to sit on my brother and sister and force feed them dandelions and daisies. When Patrick (my little bro) was too little to know better, i fed him dead flies off the window sill. Patrick and I once stuffed Elizabeth into a sleeping bad, tied the top up and shoved her under the bed and told her we were burying her alive.

We were pretty ghastly. Its amazing that we all talk to each other now.

el Guapo

Capitalist
She would narc on me and I would be mean back. I never initiated, but I always evened the score.

The meanest ever was when I would wait until my sister was playing with the dogs in the kennel and then I would lock the door and direct a stream of water from the hose upon her person. Sometimes I'd arc the stream through the hot wire on top of the kennel fence - using her personage as a grounding rod.

I payed big for that one.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I wasn't that bad to my brother. Just the normal bickering stuff... but I never truly tormented him. The only truly mean thing I can think of is when we were kids we used to play that game where you sock each other and run as fast as you can... well, by the time I was about 11 or 12, my brother was running way faster than I was (he was about 9). So I learned how to kick my shoe off at him and beam him in the back of the head/back/whatever I could hit. I got really good at it.

Oh oh... I just thought of something. Both my brother and I were adopted from separate families. So sometimes we would make mean theories about our birth parents and why they "gave us up". I don't remember exactly what we used to say, since it was a long time ago... but I remember him going to mom and tattling... so it must have been pretty mean.

Mostly we were ambivalent about the other's existence. We had rooms on different sides of the house and never really got in the other's way. I received a picture in my e-mail today from my dad that is of my brother holding up a sign that says "I love you Deb and I miss you!" So we must have been okay overall.

JNL

Cyburbian
Kelly that's awful LOL!

I just remembered I played a game, also with the same tormented younger sister, of taste-testing where she had to close her eyes and I selected things at random out of the pantry and put them in her mouth!!!! She didn't want to play any more after I gave her a teaspoon of vanilla essence which made her cry!

JNL said:
Kelly that's awful LOL!

I just remembered I played a game, also with the same tormented younger sister, of taste-testing where she had to close her eyes and I selected things at random out of the pantry and put them in her mouth!!!! She didn't want to play any more after I gave her a teaspoon of vanilla essence which made her cry!
OOOH thats a sibling classic! We used to play "Doggie Obediance School" and I would smack them with a flyswatter, but reward with graham crackers, but a couple times i slipped in real dog food.

My brother used to wrap up boxes of cat food for my sister's christmas presents - or recycle toys he didn't want anymore.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Yah, it's amazing we get along as well as we do...here are a couple of things I did to my sister.

1) We have a cedar chest, and I told her to see if she fit into it, and when she get in and shut the top, I sat on it and wouldn't let her out. I was like 8, she was 5-6

2) Meijers, a grocery store, used to have a playroom in the center of the store, and it had huge animals to climb all over - frogs, turtles, etc. Really, it was a liability waiting to happen. Well, we were on the frog, and I pushed her off, then jumped on top of her, and broke her collar bone. I was about 8 again

3) Every 5th grader got to go to camp but had to sell Christmas ornaments to raise money. I went through the neighborhood one day and there was this particular famly who wasn't too nice, and she didn't know if she wanted to stop by their house. Me, knowing they were Jehovah Witness, told her to go there. I waited on the road. She came out of their house crying. I guess they were pretty nice. I must have been in 7th grade.

But for all those times, I beat up the neighbor kids that picked on her.

She wasn't too mean too me. The most recent thing I could have kicked her butt for was at my wedding. She was the maid of honor and gave a toast. In it she said how it was awesome to be a part of the day, blah blah blah, and how she made sure I put my dress on right, since I was known for coming home from dates with my clothes on backwards. Nice, I sounded like a hooker at my own wedding, and in all honesty, it happened ONCE! It was such a little sister thing to say.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I shot my brother between the eyes with a BB gun, I stuck a brass dart in my sister's skull.

Floridays

Cyburbian
My other brother and I convinced the youngest that dry dog food and Milk Bones were very tasty....

However I'm surprised that the other survived our childhood. Apparently when we were VERY young, I accidentally locked my brother in the car (with keys) during a sweltering hot day. Mom was frantic, trying to find the spare set of keys. Also I almost pushed him from the balcony of my aunt's high rise apartment building in D.C.

Sheesh!!!

mcmplans

Cyburbian
My sister would chase me around our yard with worms. For some reason, I was (and still am a bit) terrified by worms. So, I would retreat into the house and hide in the bathroom. She didn't give up easily though and would begin SHOVING the worms under the bathroom door. She was evil...

kms

Cyburbian
My youngest sister and I joke that Mom and Dad had our middle sister (MS) so we would have someone to torment:

1. MS has a darker complexion that we have. My dad always called her "Tiny Turk", but we don't know why. We convinced her that she was adopted from a Turkish family who couldn't care for her.

2. On long car trips, MS sat in the front seat with Mom and Dad. (This was in the 1960's when kids could ride all over the inside of the car). She figured that she was special (and safe) with that privelege. We would push tampon strings into the applicators and project them, shooting them at MS. It was fun until one hit Mom in the neck.

3. When MS began to date, we told her that her dates should do the decent thing and walk her to the front door. Before she came home, we would stick a self-sticking maxi pad around the doorknob to greet her and her date at the end of the night.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My older sister used to beat us up until my little brother whacked her in the face with our grandfather's walker.

The worst I ever heard was my about my ex- and his sister. They tied their little brother to a barrel, told him it was full of dynamite, and started shooting at it. The family is certain that that is the reason he has always been so strange.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Ugh- my sis told me the gold seeds in the middle of a crepe myrtl (sp?) flower were real gold and she and a friend of hers collected them and they got to go to Toy R Us when everyone else was asleep and play with all the toys they wanted. She said she'd take me along if I picked enough "gold" for that night. I sat in the sun for about 5 hours picking the tree to death!

I never did anything bad to my sis- she actually tormented me for a long time (still does on occasion). Once I finally had enough and beat the crap out of her, but that was it.. and it was over tweezers, of all things.

Oh wait, I convinced her to eat Happy Cat once- hee :)

JNL

Cyburbian
When I was about 4 or 5 we played a game of trust where one of you closed your eyes and the other held your hand and led you along the street. When it was my turn to be led, my oldest sister walked me straight into a lamp-post and I got a bleeding nose!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't too bad to my 2 brothers...and never really did much of anything to my little sister....just the usual fights and arguments.

I had a real hard time tormenting my brother Eric after a sledding accident when we were little...we hit a tree, and a broken branch lodged itself right over his eye, and my head hit the back of his, driving it in further. I guess I had a guilt complex or something after that, since I never could bring myself to do anything really bad to him....other than the one time I went to pick him up from a basketball practice, and he wanted a drink of my rootbeer that was in a can in the cup holder. I let him, but it wasn't root beer in the can....for more details, see my post in the Vices thread....

I know it was really mean....but he didn't get too sick from it. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
other than the one time I went to pick him up from a basketball practice, and he wanted a drink of my rootbeer that was in a can in the cup holder. I let him, but it wasn't root beer in the can....for more details, see my post in the Vices thread....
Oh man... I made the same mistake once with a co-worker's diet pepsi can. One of the grossest things that has ever happened to me. I'm getting the huz just thinking about it... *shiver*.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
My older sister bought a tanning lamp and used to tan topless in her room (much to the delight of my friends). One day she was tanning in her first floor room with the music blasting away, wearing those funny little glases... and I snuck in quietly and opened all the drapes on the big bay windows. Watching the people walk by on the street was priceless.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
My younger sister has fair skin, red hair and freckles, in a black family where no one else was as fair (my grandfather's red hair turned gray, but my sister was too young to remember it being red). I convinced her that not only was she adopted, but she was white.

I also teased her about her weight when she was a pre-teen, and even made up a song with my friends about how she needed to get a membership at a health club.