• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Signs / billboards Sign area size related to setback

Ron Pflugrath

I am interested in finding information on the regulation of sign area related to the distance the sign is set back from the street. I am mainly interested in wall signs or signs on buildings as opposed to freestanding pole signs. The city I am working with allows 3 square feet of sign area for each lineal foot of building frontage. This seems too large for signs on buildings with no setback. I am looking for some sort of sliding scale formula to adjust the allowed area of a sign based on its distance from the street or front property line.

Hello Mr. Ron. You might try checking with the good folks in Simi Valley, California. I think that they allow larger wall signs based on the set back of the front building wall from the public street. Bruce