• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sign design guidelines

boiker

Cyburbian
looking for any information regarding freestanding signs and if any communities have established design guidelines for them

i.e. must be ground, brick materials, base, structure, top elements required, landscaping required, etc....

our community's intent is to create 'aesthetically pleasing' shopping center signage, but still allow reasonably sized signs.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We only allow freestanding signs to be monument signs (no poles).

The base should match the materials, colors, and styles present on the principal structure.

Signs must be in a landscaped area of at least 100 square feet (250 if there are three or more tenants)

We try to encourage signs with cut-out lettering, but it is not in our ordinance.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I think we stole Repo's ordinance, I ditto his comments.

Plus, multi tenant strip centers must have a uniform design package (ex: channel set white face, red illumination, max 5% of tenant space each)

boiker

Cyburbian
Chet said:

Plus, multi tenant strip centers must have a uniform design package (ex: channel set white face, red illumination, max 5% of tenant space each)
i hate uniform design packages!

but, that's good i need any and all information.

I d/l'd santa fe, NM's ordinance on the recommendation of the APA context in sign design report.

It seemed to contain much of the same information that you both mentioned.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
boiker said:
i hate uniform design packages!
*Sometimes* I do too. But when you force a developer to add $700k in architectural enhancements to a $2 million base project why skimp the details? There is nothing that will make a good center go downhill faster than a bad sign package. OK, that and loan stores. OK, Bad signs, loan stores, and pager sales. OK, Bad signs, loan stores, pager sales, and bars on the windows...

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
We're revising our sign ordinance right now. I don't know if you already have an ordinance on the books. If you don't or this new one is more restrictive, expect lots of screaming from the business community. You can use the link below to view our current sign ordinance:

Bulverde Sign Ordinance

scroll down and click on the "Sign Ordinance". Our business community is trying to water down the current ordinance, but hopefully that won't happen. Good luck with writing your ordinance.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Careful always requireing landscaping beds around ground mounted signs. There are occasions when you don't want to hide nice design elements such as bluestone base walls. Grass sod around a monument base can look just as nice as tired perennials or shrubs.

BKM

Cyburbian
gkmu62 has a point. Landscaping requirements should be flexible.

Otherwise, many of the same requirements pertaining to monument signs, solid bases, etc. We require :sign programs" for shopping centers but typically allow for some flexibility within the program (we don't require uniform signage, just some consistency).

Did anyone see a little sign industry propaganda newsletter about the wonders of pole signs? Their phoptos did not make a very good case.

I agree with them that it is just horrible, just horrible, that fast food chains aren't allowed to compete with the largest and most obnoxious signs possible!!! :)

boiker

Cyburbian
sign boosters

BKM said:

Did anyone see a little sign industry propaganda newsletter about the wonders of pole signs? Their phoptos did not make a very good case.

I agree with them that it is just horrible, just horrible, that fast food chains aren't allowed to compete with the largest and most obnoxious signs possible!!! :)
i just felt terrible for all the businesses after reading those... i believe they were called signline or something like that.

They make good points about signs and how they can be effective, signs get messages across, they're wayfinders, but.. their examples are lousy and they assume that we planners are against all signs and wish only for 2x2 mounument signs in a neutral stone and neutral lettering, that is reverse channel illuminated for only the hours of 6pm to 9pm on the second thursday of every month.

but then again, is that too much to ask?

im trying to find ways to justify larger signs (freestanding) with the trade of better quality in design and materials and landscaping. We're not completly attacking wall signs at this point.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
You guys would be shocked to know that I think getting rid of all pole mounted signs is a great idea. But the quid pro quo of course is allowing some flexibility in design and sign area for groundmounted, monument signs.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We allow one monument sign and one wall-mounted sign. A second wall-mounted sign may be substituted for the monument sign. The size of the monument sign can vary depending on how far back it is from the right-of-way. Our color and material requirements are not overly restrictive.

inzane

Cyburbian
In our city we use a combination of our sign ordinance and sign criteria’s that is written for each commercially zoned center. The developer creates criteria that meet all of the cities ordinances. Then we (the planners) review the document to insure that the architecture and materials used are within the character of the development.

OP,KS sign ordinance