• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sign Removal Order - Constitutional?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have been following this local story for a while - there is a lot of political turmoil in this small village near where I grew up and this local business owner has been using his changable copy sign to rip village officials. Last night they ordered him to remove the sign.

Here is the story, what do you think?

Is seems to me that this order is based on content and wouldn't pass constitutional muster. However most sign ordinances regulate content, so the action is not surprising.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I've been following it too. Since changeable copy signs are legal in the community for 'promotion of information' there are first amendment ptotections on the content of that information.

I beleive the Village is going to lose.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Based on what I know about the landmark cases on the first amendment and signage....the Village is in trouble.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I used to work at a park near Lannon and spent a lot of time in its fine drinking establishments. There are some strange people there and the politics are crazy, given its size. I guarantee that if that sign supported the governmental figures, this wouldn't have happened. With it being so close to election time most cities wouldn't touch this issue with a 10-foot pole. I can believe they have the audacity to do something so obviously politically motivated and I hope they get nailed for it.