• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sign, Sign Everywhere a sign - do this - don't do that...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Can't you read the sign? Place your wacky vernacular signs here Cyburbanites.

My example sort of sums up my undergraduate years.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'll dig up some bad ones later...

but how about some good ones?

Believe it or not...this is the only freestanding sign for this gas station... :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
It's like it grew forth from mother earth.

Your's screams there is a Planner in this town Baby - Corporate America is no match!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bad sign of the year

Our local "budget cimena" was too cheap to construct a monument sign or marquee. As a result, no one really knew the building was a theatre. The solution - paint on their dumpster enclosure:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Oh man ... I wish I had some images right now.

The most classic ... a gas station chain in Las Cruces, New Mexico called "Bar-F". Strangely, only the outsiders got it.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
I don't have a pic, but Exit 69 on I-75 just north of Detroit is for Big Beaver Road.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Re: I'll dig up some bad ones later...

NHPlanner wrote:
but how about some good ones?

Believe it or not...this is the only freestanding sign for this gas station... :)
NHPlanner: How is that sign a "good" one? I hate those tiny signs - I can never find the store that I'm looking for. The bigger and gaudier, the better! No kidding! I hate regulations that call for small commercial signs.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
And Wisconsin's own (no lie)

Beaner wrote:
I don't have a pic, but Exit 69 on I-75 just north of Detroit is for Big Beaver Road.
...a highway sign on I-94 just north of Racine:

"Bong Recreation Area"

...someone important in the area was named Bong, of course...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Bong was a WW II flying ace...

I personally like those blue signs along highways telling me what restaurants and gas stations are at the next interchange.

Just outside LAX there is a nice big sign: XXX Live! Nude!
Signs like this always add nice touch of local charm.

NHPlanner

Staff member
College favorite...

Back in the early 90's there was a big billboard along SR 302 coming into Muncie, IN that read:

"Welcome to Muncie, Indiana!
America's Hometown.
Home of Ball State University
and
Taco Bell"

Of course, Taco Bell does not have a corporate HQ in Muncie, only the 1 store that had this sign up (picture taken by one of my BSU professors):

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: Re: I'll dig up some bad ones later...

Beaner wrote:

NHPlanner: How is that sign a "good" one? I hate those tiny signs - I can never find the store that I'm looking for. The bigger and gaudier, the better! No kidding! I hate regulations that call for small commercial signs.
The Mobil sign is in an area with a 30 MPH speed limit, and at a lighted intersection. If you can't see it...well...perhaps your vision is impaired beyond someone that should be driving.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Sorry...I was out shooting pics of "good" signs last week...

Another from the same road as the Mobil above...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Good snipe sign placement

From my collection. A snipe sign in my town is not long for this world ... I patrol the entire town once a day, and if I see some spam on my streets, it's immediately added to the pile.

The "broken glass" theory definitely applies. Our spam-free streets tend to attract far fewer snipe signs than those of nearby municipalities.

No piece of coroplast pitching mortgages from predatory lenders, Herbalife, salvation or work-at-home scams shall escape the eagle eyes of the omnipresent Planning Director slash acting code enforcement officer! Baw ha ha ha ha ha ha!

NHPlanner

Staff member
Michael Stumpf wrote:
NHPlanner - is the building blue?
I don't have a picture, but, yes, the building is a mix of blue and a dark grey. The images are from a neighboring community that has done a great job on signs, but has yet to really tackle architectural design.

My community is the opposite...we've got the design guidelines, but need to work on signage. The sign pics are for a presentation to my Planning Board this week.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Not really on topic...but it's a sign

Going through my computer looking for an image for a presentation, and rediscovered this gem....

Golf anyone?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
No, this wasn't photoshopped. It's a real subdivision outside of Fort Collins, Colorado, called "The Grasslands."

I should have taken a picture of that sign at the Canal Place townhouse complex when I was in Aurora ...

nerudite

Cyburbian
A dilemma...

I stole this from a website, but I've been by this sign many times and I *knew* someone would have taken a picture of it! It's a directional sign near Weed, California (near the College of the Siskiyous)...