• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Sign watchers

green22

Cyburbian
In Manhattan they have people who sit next to 6 foot high movable signs. They say "Mcdonalds (or Burger King) on x street 1 block to your right." I assume that it must be legal to place signs on the street if a person is sitting next to it, although I often see the chair empty. The person will sit hour after hour looking depressed next to these signs. It must look great on your resume, "sign watcher".

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You gotta' post or reference an image, if you find one.

In suburban areas with very strict sign ordinances, you'll sometimes see people holding signs on weekends, trying to direct people into a business; more municipalities are banning portable signs, so they think this will draw people in. Feh ... I stay away from businesses that do this, only because I don't want them to think that their goofy form of advertising worked on me.

green22

Cyburbian
My girlfriend always complains about the mess of leaflets in our lobbey and on the ground outside, but she still reads some of them and takes in the discounts to the store. "But Rog, I needed a carwash anyways".

green22

Cyburbian
Now microsoft has glued colorful butterflys with their logo on sidewalks in high traffic manhattan areas. I've found out they are illegal. One was actually stuck on a wall on Wall street where a stone figure is kneeling praying.