• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sim City 4

SGB

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
well I can't seem to balance the friggin budget in sc4! :( so when you need financial advise, call me ;)
I just bought SC4 last week, and find that balancing the budget is hard to do as well.

Best approach I've found is keep the Ag to I,C or R land area ratio at least 2:1.

Oh, and keep school funding low enough to keep them educated w/out prompting a teacher strike.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SGB said:
I just bought SC4 last week, and find that balancing the budget is hard to do as well.
Your problem is that you think rationally, like a planner. Put yourself in the position of an elected official. Give the people everything they want. Run up deficits, or hide the cost in accounting tricks. Gather your personal power (clout), serve out your terms, and when the bills come due, leave office for some lucrative job as an attorney, lobbyist, or utility executive in a neighboring city that has been well-managed.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
SGB said:
Oh, and keep school funding low enough to keep them educated w/out prompting a teacher strike.
At least the game is realistic...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
heh my problem is that I want everything to be good... so I have education health and everything at it's level (not low nor high) But I still spend twice as much as I earn! Should I tax people more? On most of my cities I have something like 8.5% low wealth 7.5% (or 7) Mid Wealth and 6% High Wealth... in residential
commercial taxes don't go higher than 7.5
and Low wealth industrial has 8.5% MW has like 7% and HW has 6%
I don't have much HW so I have low taxes to see if someday they'll come :D
On city maintenace I have it at like 60% ( the cost of maintenace of the Mayor's mansion is $6, and parks are around that...
On my 3 biggest cities (in between 20k and 30k pop) my education level is quite stuck at 80... and I can't raise the LE level higher than 60 years..
But it's fun to sprawl through the region :D

Oh and the financial advise was an irony :p
My only financial adivse for sc4 is [money_cheat] :D (if someone wants the code PM me ;))