• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

SimCity 4 - a week away!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Great ... there goes my sleep cycle.

1950s highway engineering!

Look ... it's Dodge City!

This one's got a KC image in it!

An HOK designed stadium!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
FInancial advisor is a hottie.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Is this game really all its cracked up to be??

I'll definitly have to get it to see what all the hype is about.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The scary thing about SimCity 4 is that my wife seems more excited to play it than I do....and anything planning related usually puts her to sleep. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
I cannot wait to get the new computer, and then I'll be able to play SimCity4 on a 17 inch flat screen. Oh, the possibilities.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I loved 2000, hated 3000. What are the chances this one will rock me?

nerudite

Cyburbian
The City of Olypmpia, WA, dumped their GIS information into SimCity in order to create 3-D graphics of the implications of Zoning Ordinance and Comprehensive Plan decisions, etc... think I can use this as an excuse to try to get my employer to purchase this? ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
nerudite said:
The City of Olypmpia, WA, dumped their GIS information into SimCity in order to create 3-D graphics of the implications of Zoning Ordinance and Comprehensive Plan decisions, etc... think I can use this as an excuse to try to get my employer to purchase this? ;)
you can do that?

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I've had my copy preordered for months now. I can't wait to try it out. I really liked 3000 Unlimited and based on the previews I've seen this game is going to be awesome.

I especially like the newest feature, adding individual sims into the game. Apparantly if you put a person near heavy industry they will be less healthy, have less income etc. If you put them in a more desirable area they will get a better job, get a college degree etc.

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:

you can do that?
I guess so... I've never played SimCity... but the City of Olympia really did this, and they have been using it successfully from what I hear.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hopefully some NU principles can be applied to SC4, unlike in SC3k... they just used the god damned car to go to everything! and at last there is going to be more realism, now you'll have to put schools in the diferent neighborhoods not just putting a bunch of schools in one corner. and now you can do diferential funding for each building! (one school can have less funding than another, rather than just cutting down the budget for all)

I liked sc3k... even a little more than 2k, but sc4 looks awesome.
and at last we can have decent highways!

The Irish One

is there a online component to this stuff, like hey check out the city I made -I'll show you mine if you show me yours.