• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

SimCity4 Anyone?

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian

I figure that if anyone was interested in this type of game it would be people here!

I just picked this up yesterday, but man...its fun. If you've never played: basically, you are God at first and shape the landscape of where your city (cities) will be, then you start the city and control the mayor, who get advice from advisors (financial, enironmental, planning, public safety, etc).

You can raise and lower taxes, zone areas, choose road systems, incorporate subways, elevated rail, street cars, monorail, air travel, ferries, sea ports, higways, etc.

You have to keep within your budget but also provide for the needs of your city to keep your Sims happy. Also, if you lower taxes for certain industry...ie High Tech....that type of industry will begin to move into your city, greatening your city's overall wealth and education.

so basically its a game version of what youre doing right now ;)

Adam

boiker

Cyburbian
threads

I believe there are many threads regarding this game. I'm sure everyone agrees that it's a fun diversion, but realistically, it's almost completly uncomparable to real life planning :)

That being said, I'm attempting to build Chicago right now. I located a region map of the chicago metro region and have created my version of hyde park, harvey, lincoln park and the loop.

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
Oh,sorry.

I didnt see any other threads about this or and of the Sim games actually. And yeah, its unrealistic...but it is comparable that you are *planning* your *city* :-D

Where did you get your Chicago map? I tried using the terrain generator to make a map of Central Texas...but it wouldnt work for me.

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
Ok, I did a search and now see alot of threads about it.......

Well....how about this being the "Rush Hour Expansion Pack" thread?! :-D

Driving school buses through your peoples' front yards is fun...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I have the plain SC4, and it's quite fun anyways! I have a 160,000 inhabitant region now, and I made the region myself.
What I don't like about SC4 is the commute calculation system, the lack of optimization for low end systems and the extreme difficulty to balance the budget!

JNL

Cyburbian
FBR, thanks for the overview. I have never played SimCity - I am scared I will become addicted if I start! But maybe I'll give it a go after I've moved and sorted out my PC.. and then I'll bug you for tips :-}

SGB

Cyburbian
Having never done urban planning professionaly, I like to take a Dr. Frankenstein approach to city building in SC4. (IT'S ALIVE!)

I've yet to try developing a public transit system, but that's on my list for the near future.