• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Simplifying zoning codes and regulations

Ruth Klein

I have noticed a subtle trend where city are making their regulations more user friendly. Some of the terms and examples I have seen are dezoning (which is different from downzoning), using illustrations and diagrams, and multimedia and design. Has anybody else come across examples like these that they would be willing to share?

Does New Urbanism offer any examples

Hi. I am currently writing zoning codes that are trying to streamline the zoning process and use more user friendly terms to make the entire process more palitable.

Check into the following zoning codes:

Oakland, CA (due October 2000)
St. Mary's County Maryland (1998 code update)

Ken

New Urbanism is probably the catalyst for simplifying zoning codes, as it relies more on performance than restrictive zoning. Basically, most zoning codes have disallowed truly integrated mixes of different uses. The exceptions, in "planned unit development" zones, have also seemed to be overly restrictive.

TND relies heavily on graphic explanations of the land development requirements.

Stuart Brogan

Western Australia has a set of test codes called Liveable Neighbourhoods. Try their department of Planning and Urban Development.

It is based around New Urbanism, but is probably not as hooked on recreating historical towns all over the place.

Sandy Coyman

We have just completed a "Visioning" process and our consultant has provided us with the complete guide to "New Urbanism" (NU). We are interested in providing a NU friendly zoning ordinance. Are there other examples than those listed above which are clearly written (no legal gibberish) and provide visuals?Also interested in experiences with market acceptance of NU. I'll be back if anyone wishes to discuss this.

M. Powers

I know of a newly adopted downtown zoning ordinance for the City of Tacoma, Washington where the zoning ordinance was reduces from 150 pages or so to 13 pages. I hear they are working on developing a zoning ordinance for the rest of the city that is just as simplified.