• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

simply me

octa girl

hi - i am just getting to know the cyburbia forum this weekend - while i should be working. i'm a newly christened planner looking for my niche in the planning world. I'm hoping to work on housing development/policy eventually, but for now I just want to get my foot in the planning door with an energetic innovative organization that is working on sustainable development.

some loves:
mixed income development, low income housing policy, transit oriented development, public private partnerships, community organizing, public education about planning issues, hiking in the mountains, knitting, traveling the backroads, my bicycle, dancing, living in major metro areas, train watching,

some things that make me cringe:
starbucks, radio commercial voices, suburbs, commando style planning, snakes, big box development, emoticons (no offense), television, the mind-numbing fluorescent lights in big grocery stores, current us policies, politics, and politicians, NIMBYs, the word chick, SOVs and SUVs

Michele Zone

BANNED
Hi and welcome aboard. I don't live that far from you, actually. Maybe we will Do Lunch sometime. (Like right after BKM and I get around to having that cup of coffee he promised me, ;))

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Uh...Commando style planning?

Train watching! I like you already. We'll just have to work on the Starbucks thing a bit.

Welcome to Cyburbia!

SGB

Cyburbian
octa girl said:
......commando style planning
So, does this mean that re-use of industrial buildings for paintball are out of the question? (Insert anoying winking emoticon here)

Welcome from the netherlands of New York State.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
octa girl said:
hi - i am just getting to know the cyburbia forum this weekend - while i should be working.
Your gonna fit in great here.

Welcome and I look forward to your input on all issues from Housing Development/Policy to Bicycling.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
octa girl said:
starbucks, radio commercial voices, suburbs, commando style planning, snakes, big box development, emoticons (no offense), television, the mind-numbing fluorescent lights in big grocery stores, current us policies, politics, and politicians, NIMBYs, the word chick, SOVs and SUVs
-What, no Wal-mart?;)

Welcome aboard:b:

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
welcome aboard...i hate planning without underwear

Tranplanner: I agree on the Starbucks matter. B-) Off to freshen my cup at my local corporate coffee location...

again, welcome from NY's own L.A.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hello Octa Girl! You should fit in here very well, just beware of the single male planners who enjoy going on a long hike and then stopping by the locally-owned, shade-grown, organic, free-trade coffee shop to cap off the day.

So where are your hiking spots?

ludes98

Cyburbian
Yin to your Yang

Welcome from the Valley of Sun. Also known as a mecca for lack of transit, suburbs, big box power centers, SOV's,SUV's, and snakes!

martini

Cyburbian
Yay! Another biker to add to the list! Welcome from the broad expanse called the midwest. I think you'll fit in just fine....

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Welcome from the Flatlands! We love everything you hate here. But that's cool (we also love everything you love). Looking forward to your participation.

boiker

Cyburbian
welcome, the more the merrier!

you'll find plenty of usefull work related information at this site and absolutley no off-topic banter.

We're as straight-edge as they come.

I'm sure all will testify to this? <winky smiley>

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings. Make a wish!

Congratulations on your planning christening. BZA meeting go awry did it?

I have a Norfolk-Southern freight line 150m from my back door and at-grade crossings about 300m apart. I've gotten to know the engineers that don't mind being at work at 3:30 am and those who dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Welcome and have fun in Cyburbia!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from among the many Midwesterners who happens to be among the many bicycle riders here also.

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome.

Tell us what octa girl means - apart from not being octa chick (sorry octa chicks).

octa girl

thanks all.

I think I will hold my ground on starbucks.

no i don't ski - I did as a kid, and still like to cross country ski from time to time.

I hike any and every where.

My aversion to starbucks will not falter

octa girl has no literal translation.

H

Cyburbian
a belated hello. (as I sip on my hot cup of Starbucks coffee :))