• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Since we're sharing recipes...

nerudite

Cyburbian
A friend just bagged a moose a few days ago, and will be giving me some moose stakes. I've never prepared moose or any other wild game before... what do you all think I should make with it?

I had wild boar goulash before in Hungary that was delicious... so I was thinking about making goulash from it. But I don't know what else. Suggestions?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm....depends how much moose you get, and what cuts. Moose steaks are great - I don't have any recipes right now I can share though. I've never heard of moose goulash...sounds interesting though. Might be a bit gamey, but then again if they can make it with boar...

If you have the tools at hand - ground up some of the moose meat and make burgers with it.

donk

Cyburbian
If they are good cuts of steak cook them like beef on the BBQ, just watch out, they tend to be really lean and tend to dry out. Cook them really slow and don't poke or cut them once cooking.

Goulash is good for the poorer cuts (think stewing beef).

My step father cans it with some success.

I like the way moose tastes, but can't stand teh smell.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I agree with donk...BBQ them. I usually marinade thesteaks in Italian Dressing with garlic for a couple of hours before grilling them. I really enjoy moose steaks.

Well...back to the "vacation" up here in Maine.

donk

Cyburbian
thinking of NHPlanner's rsponse, I think dad marinade's them too. Helps with the moisture/dryness part.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The moose goulash worked out really yummy... now i just have to figure out what to do with about another 8 lbs of moose (including ribs)... eek!

donk

Cyburbian
The trick for ribs is to steam them first (or microwave) then BBQ them. This cooks the meat and locks in most of teh fat and flavour, then teh BBQ browns it and adds the smoke flavour.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Take my advice with moose steaks....

Make jerky out of them. I've had moose before and I almost broke a moler on them, they are really tough.