• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Single family to multi-family ordinance

tsheidler

I live in a 12,000 sq ft. old stone schoolhouse, State Historical designation,within the village limits. I want to convert it to condominiums & the village planning commission wants me to write an ordinance to do this. It is currently zoned single family housing & so it currently cannot be converted to condos. I tried for a use variance & a rezoning but I have been told that a new ordinance should be created to accomplish my objectives. It meets closely with their master plan criteria of diversifying housing types, preservation of historic buildings, consolidating driveways, etc. How should I approach this?

Jerry Weitz

Cyburbian
Determine your existing zoning district. Find the permitted uses section of the local code, and insert "condominiums." You might also want to propose adding a definition of condominiums since that term really applies to a form of ownership rather than building or use, so you might as well add apartments/multi-family in the amendment.

It might be a simple as that. If the town wants you to go into specifics, I'd try to shy away from that. Get a draft and run it by the local staff for their comments first--if you can get a meeting with the town attorney, he or she might be willing to help you put the change in amendment form.