• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Site visits are great for seeing wildlife!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Yesterday, I was on a site visit to one of the old shopping centers here and as I was going back to the car I saw this:

It was in the tree of an adjacent residential property. This bird of prey was munching away on some small animal.

I really love how these types of birds have no problem living alongside us humans. It's really a beautiful bird, and we were in the middle of built-out suburbia.

Has anyone else had such an experience with the more interesting of the animal world while on a site visit.

Squirrels, pigeons, and seagulls don't count. :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Has anyone else had such an experience with the more interesting of the animal world while on a site visit.

Squirrels, pigeons, and seagulls don't count. :)

They don't? I saw this on a site visit once;)
homelesnessmaximus

I've seen a peregrine falcon in the city before. Plus turkeys down by the grain elevators, as well as deer by the tracks near concrete central.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Deer, bald eagle, alligators, very large snakes, armadillos, sandhill cranes, and my favorite, the gopher tortoise (which quite often must be rescued from the middle of roadways).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I had a hawk clear a path for me as I walked down State Street in downtown Madison yesterday. It is not too unusual for me to see cranes in my business park, or deer in my yard.

H

Cyburbian
Last week I almost stepped on a snake during a site visit. He was a jerk, that snake. But I got him because his house was just approved for a subdivision. :-D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
I don't know if domesticated animals count but I have had some comical experiences with dogs in the field.
I recall my first day on the job as a zoning administrator, the old hand of the office was showing me, the 'new guy', all there was to know about code enforcement. We get out of the car to post a notice at this one address and are approached by two mangy mutts. Old hand says, "there's an art to dealing with dogs - watch a master at work". One of the dogs makes a beeline directly at him, jumps, and while sailing through the air collides with his groin (dog was running full speed)......10 minutes later as I regained my ability to breathe and the spasms of laughter subsided I helped him up off the ground x| .

biscuit

Cyburbian
I've seen the occasional falcon in our downtown, where they are kept to help control the pigeon population. Other than that the only wildlife I've seen while out on site visits have been lots and lots of turkey and deer out by the Parkway.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
No More Goats...
shhhhh Michaelskis......you don't want to shame our community in front of all these other planners. If they found out our fair city faces a serious goat infestation problem we would become the laughingstocks of the world. Instead of "badgerbadgerbadgerbadger mushroom mushroom" they'll be creating websites like "goatgoatgoatgoatgoat tin can tin can" but with our city's name on it.....

There's a family of about 5 ducks that hang around the 2 block area of my office building, which is the only one in the area with green space. They just waddle along the green space, the parking lot and the canal that is behind the building's parking lot. There are so cute. I worry that some crazed driver is going to hurt one of them.

Floridays

Cyburbian
On my way to a site visit I encountered a HUGE iguana crossing the road. At first I thought it was a baby alligator. It was just cruisin along...even though it was in the middle of a very busy road. Very cool!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Nothing much other than squirrels and pigeons. Think I saw a falcon once, high up on a building.

I know Donk likes the two-legged wildlife seen around these parts ;)

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I know Donk likes the two-legged wildlife seen around these parts ;)

And I can't wait to participate in the hunting of them. Will I need a license?

Normal things to see around here moose, bear, deer, the odd porpoise/whale, vultures, hawks, bald eagles, osprey.....