• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

small hello

Habanero

Cyburbian
In an effort to stay anon. I've been reluctant to post here, but today I've just got to say this: I'm not going to be TexasPlanner anymore! Well, I'll keep the name, but I'm moving to Arizona to pursue the bigger and brighter unknown that Texas doesn't offer. (Okay, the truth is that the love of my life got an amazing job and I followed suit by landing a planner position in a growing community)
I'm excited, this is my first "big time" gig, and any advice that anyone of you more experienced planners may have is welcome.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Congratulations Tex!

Will we become a Coyotes fan now? Your bf did check out the hockey opportunities first, right? right?

How 'bout "zonaplanner"?

Habanero

Cyburbian
Actually

He's playing drop in on Thursday and Sundays right now, but when the next season starts up he'll be playing tons again. As far as being a Coyotes fan.. well, we're looking into getting season tickets, but when the STARS play, I'll be one of the only fans yelling "STARS!!!" during the Star Spangled Banner. On a side note, we're getting a weimeraner puppy, a little boy, and we're naming him Hatcher, so obviously I'll still be loyal to my Stars. We're even getting a house big enough that we can have a hockey room, with all hockey, including his new collection of little "toys" including his newest figurine of Cujo. Ah, to love hockey- it's a great life!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Congrats!

TexasPlanner wrote:
...we're getting a weimeraner puppy, a little boy, and we're naming him Hatcher, so obviously I'll still be loyal to my Stars.
I love those dogs! Ever see the movie "Best in Show"? GET YOUR BUSY BEE! GET HER! GET HER!

Hope all works out for you there.

Habanero

Cyburbian
and another side note

That movie was hilarious!

but the real side note: my secretarial woes are OVER! I shouldn't be ranting for quite some time, unless it's to cry help in such a busy place.

Question: how soon would you (implying those of you that have the power in your department) start giving the new planner projects? Just a little nervous if I'm going to be fed to the sharks the first week or the second-

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Usually - after the mound of new hire paperwork is off to HR - I will give the Newbie all of the Code chapters and local Plans to read over for a day or two, then do policy matters and customer contact orientation for the rest of the week. Easier, less political, or no-baggage projects come within 4-10 days depending on the person. Lots of questions are expected from the Newbie (and it's not a sign of weakness) so the supervisor should try to avail themselves for 30 minutes once or twice per day.

One presumes that an expereinced planner can can skip the "yellow = residential, red = commercial" part of training and pick up local nuances pretty quickly. In your case, you've got new State Statutes to deal with too, and that can skew things!

Planners can become managers; but managers rarely become planners. Keep that in mind when dealing with your new supervisors. I my humble experience, you need to find out - early on - how your bosses got to where they are. It truly impacts how your expectations and you relate and adapt to the environment.

Congratulations Tex! Good luck with the move and good friends of ours has a weimer also, such a sweet dog. She looks just like the William Wegman Dogs. And enjoy the luxary of space in the new house. Fenced in yard?

Anyway, Bturk gave good advice. I think it also depends on what kind of planning you're doing. Your first day should be mostly HR, but if you're doing Code Enforcement, try to tag along on as many inspections as possible, so you'll know to what degree you need to nit pick. Also, plan review can be miles apart different between different states, christ, between neighboring towns. So don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!

Good luck!

Kelly

Habanero

Cyburbian
THANKS!

I'll be doing current planning, so all new development. Is it okay if I went ahead and asked to be sent a copy of their development standards since they aren't online? I'd like to get a head start so I don't feel completely lost when I get my first project, as well as needing to feel comfortable telling people what the process is. For this job I made charts and a reference quick list for frequently asked question and I'd like to do the same for the new place.
I'm also getting an office at home, which will be nice. I'm going back to school soon too, so I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Although I love planning I have always wanted to go to back and I'm looking at a dual degree in Law and something else (nothing like commiting, right) and perhaps practice land use law later, when the joys of being a civil servant wear me down.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
As "Timmy" mentioned...

...read the planning related sections of the state statutes concernings planning and land use. Being familiar with those is huge when moving to a new state.

Just my $.02

I've been in this job for over a year, and I still have a chart posted on my wall with setbacks and parking space reqs.