• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Smallpox

Take the Smallpox Vac

• I'll take it right off

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • maybe

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • no way

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Other I'll tell ya about below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
So will you be willing to take the smallpox vac when it comes out for the general public?

Why?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I personaly will be first in line, i was born in 1973 the year after they stoped giving it, i dont have that lovely scar on my arm. I know it can make you sick or even kill but living in DC it seems far more of a risk to wait and hope than play the odds with the innoculation gun. And i HATE needles!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
I'd take it if I had to, but I'd rather not.
Same here....I was another 1973 baby...

Jeff

Cyburbian
I will get it, as a volunteer FF/EMT and Haz Mat Technician on the county Haz-Mat team, it only makes sense too.

Will it still make that scar? It's gonna mess up my tatoos...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
yes it will, apparently from what im reading from the NIH they do a bunch of pin pricks and they get puss filled and swell up for a week or two, "But the vaccine has side effects. One or two people out of a million could die after receiving it, according to health officials. Also, one in 10,000 could suffer severe side effects that range from running sores to severe aches and pains, organ failure and even death. "

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/smallpox_vaccine021211.html

living in a huge metro area that is the prime target for terrorist im all about getting that shot asap. i dont like the idea i could get it and not know im sick till its too late to stop it

nerudite

Cyburbian
I just had yucky reactions to my flu shot... I'm not ready to contemplate smallpox...

Living where I am now, with my current profession, I don't think it's a necessity. But If I moved to a bigger metro area in the US, I would probably do it.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
The most IDIOTIC part of all this...

The felching sons of motherless goats had the damned thing DEAD! It was determined to be eradicated in 1980, but some brilliant bastards decided to keep some "stock" around to study the damned thing.

kms

Cyburbian
I already survived the vaccine once, and I heard somewhere that I'd need a booster. I'd worry about my kids and side effects, and I'd worry about my kids' getting smallpox. They would get the vaccination, after I learn as much as I can about it. At some point, it would be required by dept. of health and they'll need it to stay in school.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike DeVuono said:
I will get it, as a volunteer FF/EMT and Haz Mat Technician on the county Haz-Mat team, it only makes sense too.

Will it still make that scar? It's gonna mess up my tatoos...
You can get it on your bum, or are there tattoos there too?

Jen

Cyburbian
no pox on you

NO, i don't know, I'm not worried about it, I'll let ten or twenty million other people go first.

Maybe i am uninformed but I think the risk is over hyped-

West Nile and the disney cruise flu critters have me more worried

Jeff

Cyburbian
bturk said:

You can get it on your bum
I'M NOT MESSING THAT UP....It's just too damn good looking...so I've been told. By girls. Real girls. Not figments of my imagination.

*Going back to my corner now*

Runner

Cyburbian
I'll take it again. I've got my scar indicating I can safely take the vaccine. All the peers in my cohort that had the bad reaction have already been culled from the gene pool.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Not a big fan of needles but if I thought I were likely to get the pox anyway, I'd have the innoculation. It's also a chance for all my school mates to have a minor laugh, as I did when I turned out to be the only one who had the TB jab and didn't get either a pus filled arm or a scar... Maybe I'll have a tattoo over the scar if I have the jab.

Jeff

Cyburbian
You can get the scar tattooed into a cool looking crater filled moon, to go along with your mullet and high-top white reeboks.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Government Managed Health Care

I'll never trust the government to offer me a vaccine again. When they explain why my units medical records all got lost in the Gulf War. When they explain what exactly was in the cocktail they shot us up with three days before the ground war. When they pay off every victim of Agent Orange or their surviving family members. When they release the medical records and top secret documents about the veterans forced to march through a freshly nuked test area. When they hang, by their neck until they are dead, the people responsible for the syphilis testing on black men in the South. When they explain why they are ducking and covering on Gulf War Illness I might reconsider. In other word you have to be a huge chump to trust your government with your medical care, or you're Canadian

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Government Managed Health Care

El Guapo said:
In other word you have to be a huge chump to trust your government with your medical care, or you're Canadian
Nah...we just test chemical and nerve agents on unsuspecting soldier "volunteers".

We may have government-run medicare, but that doesn't mean the government can stick you with whatever needles they want, whenever they want. They just foot the bill for all the hypochondriacs (my big word for the day) clogging up the healthcare system.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Shrugs

they filled us with all sorts of stuff in Panama' we have all had strange health problems that no one can explaine

or what some of the shots where (that worries me)

and i was not even a GI but it seems if your the kid of one they own you too
pg