• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Smart Growth v. Affordable Housing

I just read Randal O'Toole's diatribe against so-called smart growth policies ("Housing in Smart Growth Cities: Is it Really Worth the Cost?"). While regulations certainly increase construction costs, there are some similarities between many of the booming, "affordable" cities that he referrences and their stage of development. How many of those communities are deferring certain costs now, which will not be felt for decades?

Where I work and live, development that occurred 20-30 years ago was not required to provide much of the infrastructure to support itself. Now the residents of those subdivisions are demanding that there are adequate roads, parks, water supplies and sewage treatment plants (and of course want the new development to pay for it.) No wonder the cost of housing is skyrocketting and most of the people who work here can't aford to live here. The booming cities of the intermountain west are simply repeating the history of San Jose in the 60's and 70's.

As an aside, as a former resident of Nevada, I can understand why housing is less expensive there than elsewhere. Have you ever been to Las Vegas? It's hideous! No one in their right mind would pay the same price for a house in Henderson or any of the similar burbs built on sagebrush flats as they would in Portland, the SF Bay area, or New England.