• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Smile...You're on Local Access TV

otterpop

Cyburbian
These dark clouds have been moving in for months. I knew it was coming. It cannot be avoided. Come the end of the month the local access TV station will begin broadcasting public meetings of the county.

Guess that gives me time to improve my wardrobe, drop some weight and see if the County will spring for cosmetic surgery.

Are any of you other Cyburbians on local TV? Any advice? I have to say that being on TV really bugs me.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
We are, and honestly, I don't think about it unless someone else mentions it, as in "I saw you on TV last night! What were you talking about??" It helps that we don't have cable, though, so I've never actually seen our hearings. Probably a good thing.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm on local t.v. for Council meetings, which luckily are rare for my position. Edmonton cable picks up our local meetings, so it gets to everyone in the Alberta capital region. People recognize me at the grocery store in St. Albert from time to time, but so far I don't have many people in Edmonton recognizing me. :) Luckily my main commission, the Municipal Planning Commission, do not have televised meetings (yet).

All of my previous employers had televised meetings. Oak Harbor was time delayed, Vancouver was live and Davis was live. Davis was a small enough town that people could watch Council on t.v., and still have time to rush down to City hall if they didn't agree with the overall comments of the rest of the public. Made for some long meetings.

The only advice I have about televising is that you now have to keep another audience in mind. You may have to change presentations to include information that can be seen on a television screen, and not just to the people sitting around in the Chambers. Otherwise, just try not to think about the fact that you are on t.v.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Like Nerudite, all of my past employers televised meetings. I never dressed special ot changed my presentations. If the camera operator cant pick up the exhibits to the viewers satisfaction, then they should be at the meeting if they are that interested. I blame (or should I thank!) cable tv for reducing turn out and public participation at many important meetings and hearings.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
At the place where I worked before (coughOlathecoughCoynesucks), I got a formal reprimand because the back of my shirt was wrinkled during a televised Planning Commission meeting. Of course, the fact that it wasn't wrinked before I came into work that day wasn't a factor, or the fact that I didn't umm and uhh my way through a presentation like my superior, weren't factors; I was expected to keep a change of clothes in my office for televised meetings.

Have a friendly co-worker count your filler words (umm, uhh, you know, etc) during a meeting, and do likewise with them. Keeping filler words to a minimum, using language that could be easily understood by laypeople, standing up straight, and keeping presentations brief yet not talking rapidly, will help you appear far more professional than designer clothes that are perfectly pressed.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My current employer televises Council (live) and Plan Commission meetings (delayed), but not my board (we don't like to have the public know what we are up to). I am happy to say that the meetings are pretty well watched. I can only attribute this to my commanding screen presence.

Do televised meetings contribute to poor attendance? Probably, but not much. On the other hand, many people watch from the comfort of their own home, who would never attend. I think it is a good way to help bring the workings of government to the people.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Not televised by my current employer; previous two did televise. I remember coming home from work a few years ago and my two sons greeting at the door giggling that they had seen me on TV that afternoon in a public hearing. The worst part of televised hearings is open forum with the public can speak on any item not on the agenda. The elected official get pretty long winded when election time approaches.

Rem

Cyburbian
Our meetings aren't televised - it is very rare in Australia for this to occur. I used to do a lot of TV interviews on planning issues which the kids and my extended family seemed to like. That is rare for me too now as I have become more the faceless bureaucrat.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
We are, and honestly, I don't think about it unless someone else mentions it, as in "I saw you on TV last night! What were you talking about??" It helps that we don't have cable, though, so I've never actually seen our hearings. Probably a good thing.
I don't ever watch since I'm one town over, but ours are televised. It weirds me out to have random people at the grocery store tell me they were flipping channels and saw me. :-\

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The City Planning Commission meetings are televised on local cable access tv in the Big Easy. I was proud to present my evaluations and recommendations on tv to those few who watched, while I was on staff with the Commission. I actually miss the limelight now that I'm no longer aboard there.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Governing body--televised; planning commission--not. I enjoy it, starts some interesting conversations. You soon forget the camera is there, just concentrate the professional presentation you make to the primary audience, the board.

Dan, remember that Olathe is not Kansas: it is la la land.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
If our meetings were televised I would probably change careers. It causes me great pain to even listen to myself on the tape recordings.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
YEP...

Our cameras are built into the walls, and the flat panel TV's are on each side of the board, along with monitors built into coucil table... Oh and some guy sits in the control room off the chambers.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Have a friendly co-worker count your filler words (umm, uhh, you know, etc) during a meeting, and do likewise with them.
Uh, Trail Nazi, are we still doing this? ;-)

I have been on local t.v. for about 12 years, between 2 employers. You really forget the cameras are there. I have had a lot of folks say "You don't have to tell me what you do, I've seen you on t.v." and I wonder WHY they are watching the government channel.

On the other hand, you must be very careful. A bunch of us got a laugh out of a newbie planner sitting in the front row behind the speaker, in a very short skirt, leg crossed WAY over the other, until another planner took mercy on her and ran to the commission chambers to tell her what everyone could see.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
On the other hand, you must be very careful. A bunch of us got a laugh out of a newbie planner sitting in the front row behind the speaker, in a very short skirt, leg crossed WAY over the other, until another planner took mercy on her and ran to the commission chambers to tell her what everyone could see.
Did you keep a copy of the tape that you can post here? ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planning Board, Town Council and ZBA are all live telecasts where I work.....and repeated several times a week. We've been cablecasting meetings since the early 90's.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My last two employers broadcast City and County Council meetings. I agree with most, you don't really think about it much. I've observed that being on TV invariably results in much longer meetings because certain elected officials definitely play to the cameras.

Big Easy King said:
The City Planning Commission meetings are televised on local cable access tv in the Big Easy. I was proud to present my evaluations and recommendations on tv to those few who watched, while I was on staff with the Commission. I actually miss the limelight now that I'm no longer aboard there.
Ditto, except I don't miss the limelight. I NEVER watched the replays of the meetings because I didn't want to become aware of the camera. I haven't worked there in almost 3 years and at times people still come up to me and say "I saw you on t.v."

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Plannerbabs said:
Plannerbabs speaks the gospel. I too don't have cable. I am not interested in watching myself and I am generally unaware that I am on camera and like to keep it that way. If I sat there thinking about being self-conscious on camera I am sure my verbal judo in front of Boards would suffer. I suggest you not think about it either.

Queen B

Cyburbian
We are taped by Access.

I am still not comfortable with it. They don't mention this in the interview at all.
At a previous position my board members read their information and the Chair ran the meeting. So I had very little input.
Here I have been told to read the staff report "for the viewing audience".
I hate to read out loud. So reading out loud and being on camera suck, but that doesn't mean I won't do it, that's why they call it work and pay me for it...

otterpop

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
If our meetings were televised I would probably change careers. It causes me great pain to even listen to myself on the tape recordings.
Seabishop hits the nail on the head as far as my concerns. It's not so much seeing me on TV that bothers me, it's listening to my voice and my slow speaking style with the hems and haws that make me self-conscious about the whole thing. :-c

BKM

Cyburbian
We've been "live" for some time now. It doesn't bother me that much, one really should dress up for a formal occasion like a commission or council meeting, and it means we got a lot of really cool audiovisual equipment for the City Council chambers that eliminated the dreaded "blue screen" from cobbled-together Power Point projectors and laptops. So, no complaints here.

I am actually already a television "star," :) because our (quite professional) government channel people put together a "magazine" show featuring different city departments, and an Economic Development guy and myself have a segment. We typically visit construction sites, interview new business owners, talk to developers, etc. Its kinda fun, actually, despite my occasional grousing about the time. We were able to film one time on the sixth floor of a new mid-rise government building now under construction. That was pretty interesting.

Floridays

Cyburbian
MD Planner said:
My last two employers broadcast City and County Council meetings. I agree with most, you don't really think about it much. I've observed that being on TV invariably results in much longer meetings because certain elected officials definitely play to the cameras.
This is true! When I used to give staff presentations that were broadcast on cable TV, I NEVER watched the replays. Public meetings would be much shorter if they were not aired on TV. Public officials love to listen/watch themselves talk. Take the camera away, and it would cut meeting times in half, at least. However, although I do agree that the public has a right to access them...I still say: So get off yer duff...lift yer butt off the couch...and go to city hall!

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
QueenB, I would never read a staff report. I hope you find a way to get away from that. The report is for the board, the applicant, and parties that showed an interest-- not the general audience. Provide a summary so the audience can follow your reasoning, but try not to read more than one paragraph.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Uh, Trail Nazi, are we still doing this? ;-)

No, ZG. I am no longer a shining star as I was once was in Florida. But actually, it is a good idea to practice your speach or write it out because it is really embarrassing how much we say um, yah, eh, etc.

The poor girl in the front row never sat there again and did wear longer skirts from thereafter.

Just whatever you do, don't wear white and all black (black tie, black shirt, black jacket). Those are horrible colors on television and do not make you look good.