• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Smoking = R Rating?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Anti-smoking activist wants to see an R Rating for any movie showing tobacco use, with the exception of historical figures.

This seems exactly like something Hollywood would go for, despite all the explicit sex, violence and stupidity marketed at teens.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Pretty soon you'll see an "R" rating for fast food consumption. What a joke this country is becoming :-@ :eek:|

BKM

Cyburbian
Amazing. I hate breathing second hand smoke, but the degree of namby pambyism by some "activists" is pretty funny.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Hmmm. the article mentions one famous figure who was well known for smoking cigars. It is a poor example. What about films set in the early 20th century when a very large portion of the population smoked? Can you imagine a movie set in the 20's or 40's and there is no smoking?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This is, as everyone has said, such a silly, relativistic campaign. The ratings system is simply a set of values that are imposed upon us by some holier-than-thou busy-bodies. What a complete waste of breath.

To get slighlty off-topic:

I live in Lincoln Park in Chicago with many Trixies and Chads. Most of these people are approx. the same age as I am (22-30). So we all have had, I assume, the same level of media messages thrown at us over the years. I see many of these people smoking, and I makes me wonder why? For practically their entires lives they have been told by TV, radio, school, church, parents, etc that smoking is one of worst things you could do. Yet, they smoke. It makes no sense to me.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, because it's a social phenomenon I don't understand.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
2 out of the 3 movies they criticize, Seabiscuit and Chicago took place before 1950. The third, Matchstick Men, involves shady con artists. Its not like wholesome, contemporary people are smoking. Even in family movies its probably the bad guy or the dumb slob.

I think too many movie characters smoke, but my criticism is only because its a stupid movie cliche, like the way every cool guy drives a '57 Chevy.

The ratings system, for better or for worse, is supposed to help parents know which movies feature things most parents don't want their kids to see (sex, violence, drugs etc.) This would be more of an example of special interests dictating what you can't see.

Edit: Oh crap, my avatar is smoking! Don't ban me, I promise to stand outside in the cold!