• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Snapshot 7/10/19

Maister

Chairman of the bored
How good of a swimmer are you? How would you rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10? How old were you when you learned to swim?

Planit

Cyburbian
Dad threw me in the pool at about 3 months old. Mom made a mandate that when they moved to Florida, all kids would know how to swim ASAP.

On swim team for a couple years as a kid, scuba lesson & certification for my 13th b-day (1st year eligible). I can't rate myself because I really haven't kept up with it in many years.

The Girl is better. I started her swimming @ 6 months. She made HS Regionals in the backstroke this year.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Learned as a kid...maybe 4 years old? 5? Anyhoo, I'm a functional swimmer, and can tread water. That's about it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I learned at a neighborhood pool when I was maybe 5 or 6. I could have taken lessons at the Y but that was clear on the other side of town. I remember looking upon the instructors at the time as being some sort of aquatics professionals, but looking back I realize now they were just a couple of teenagers doing a summer job. My son learned to swim at the local Y and I was impressed with how well taught the classes were.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Had swim lesson at the Y.
Earned Swimming & Lifesaving Merit Badges and did the Mile swim when I was in the Scouts.
Grew up on the Jersey shore swimming in the ocean.

Probably back in the day I was an 8, not strong/fast enough for competitive swim team or to be lifeguard.
Now because I haven't swam in awhile, I might say I am a 4.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm not a particularly strong/fast swimmer and never had lessons but I'm proud that I earned "WSQ2" when I was in the Marines.

I was barely able to swim the 500 meters in the required time but luckily had no problem with the other tasks: tread water with a loaded rifle above my head for an extended period, drag an unresponsive body to the shore, etc. and do this all while having to undergo random submersion drills interspersed in there. I tried to pass the Water Survival Qualification 1 but failed miserably right away as the swimming distances increased substantially while the time requirements got shorter.

My wife grew up on a lake, her grandparents had a big pool, and she had private swim lessons. When we're at the lake or in a pool and she isn't worried about getting her hair wet, she can easily swim laps around me, even if there's quite a current.

Even though they live on a lake and have a pool at their winter house in Florida, I had never actually seen my FIL swim until this past winter when he decided to put on his bathing suit and get in the pool with us. He's an even better swimmer than my wife.

DVD

Cyburbian
I used to be a decent swimmer like a 7 or 8, but now I'm more like a 4 or 5. Of course you need examples. In boot camp I tried for the entry test to divers, EOD, SEAL. The first test is a 500 yard swim in 14 minutes (SEAL was like 10 minutes). I made it just over 10 minutes. Sounds similar to WSUs WSQ2 qual, but I didn't have to tread water with a rifle. I tried for rescue swimmer on the ship, but didn't get picked for the job.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I used to be a decent swimmer like a 7 or 8, but now I'm more like a 4 or 5. Of course you need examples. In boot camp I tried for the entry test to divers, EOD, SEAL. The first test is a 500 yard swim in 14 minutes (SEAL was like 10 minutes). I made it just over 10 minutes. Sounds similar to WSUs WSQ2 qual, but I didn't have to tread water with a rifle. I tried for rescue swimmer on the ship, but didn't get picked for the job.
I knew people who tried for rescue swimmer qualifications and they said it was some of the hardest training they ever did. Same thing with folks in the Marines who wanted to become swim instructors. When I was on a MEU we had a lot of people who would try to go on to more specialized units and we always had more people come back to us after washing out from Swim Instructor school than from Recon training or SERE school or jump school or anything like that. It sounded like the training to become an actual swim instructor (they might not be "Operators", but these were the folks who went on to train the Recon Marines (now "Raiders") and work at BUDS school) was absolutely brutal.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I forgot about the boot camp swimming thing. I wouldn't characterize myself as ever being a particularly strong swimmer, merely adequate. I mean I know all the different strokes and feel perfectly comfortable in water and had no trouble treading water for the required 20 minutes or however long it was or meeting any of the other requirements to earn a WSQ2 rating. But I've never loved swimming. I don't like opening my eyes under water and too many times I've accidently swallowed either nasty lake water or heavily chlorinated pool water. When I was young I used to naturally sink without making an effort to tread water, but noticed the last couple times I got in a pool I've become much more buoyant than I used to be and can actually float now. Good to know my beer gut is good for something other than storage.:(

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner

Despite growning up effectively on the shores of Lake Huron with many nice inland lakes within 30 miles of town.

I'm a terrible swimmer. Playing in the lakes never required learning to swim as most beaches are at spots with large expanses of shallow areas for wading and playing.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
I could probably save myself if rescue was not too distant/delayed.

Truth is, I was dropped in a lake when I was very young when my sister tried to hand me from a boat to my brother on a floating dock. My brother had to dive in to rescue me because I basically sank like a stone. Still, I enjoyed the water (both the ocean and lakes) when I was younger, but obviously never felt terribly comfortable with either.

I can very much relate to not liking to open my eyes underwater.

kjel

Super Moderator
Probably a 7-8/10.

I learned how to swim when I was 5. Growing up pretty much every good weather day was spent at the pool. I still love to swim.

RT was about 7 when she could swim by herself proficiently but we always had a convenient pool so she had a lot of practice. Bella is 7 and has a small group swim lesson every Saturday morning, she spends every summer weekend mostly in playing in the Barnegat Bay. She's learning to swim very quickly and is very comfortable in water whether it's the pool or the bay.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I would rate myself at a 3 or 4. I grew up with a pool and always remember being able to swim, and my ability allows me to swim well enough to have fun in water. That said, I cannot swim with proper form and speed (e.g. breast/butterfly strokes) to have ever been on a swim team, nor would I feel comfortable to swim a distance out from shore. We are going to do the infant swim lessons for our daughter so she can safely play at my mother in law's pool.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I was 4 or 5. I got thrown off the end of a pier by my family. I eventually learned at the Y. I'm a better underwater swimmer. I'm about 4 or 5 as a swimmer.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I would rate myself a 5 on skill, and a 7 on style. I am a graceful manatee in the water - it's something to behold as I lurch and roll, breach and dive, all with a big stupid grin on my sunburned face. If Buddha and Aquaman adopted a half-manatee, that abomination would be me.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Had swim lesson at the Y.
Earned Swimming & Lifesaving Merit Badges and did the Mile swim when I was in the Scouts.
Grew up on the Jersey shore swimming in the ocean.

Probably back in the day I was an 8, not strong/fast enough for competitive swim team or to be lifeguard.
Now because I haven't swam in awhile, I might say I am a 4.
I too earned Lifesaving & Swimming merit badges. I never did the mile swim but I did row a boat to support the mile swimmers for several years. I lifeguarded a little bit at scout camp which was insane because I couldn't see while I swam because I couldn't wear my glasses or contacts. I did one rescue and nobody drown on my watch. So that was pretty good for a blind guy. I haven't swam much since other than falling out of a raft or kayak.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I was one of those waterbabies who could swim before I could walk. Mom took me to the Y as a baby and I've been swimming ever since. I'd say I was probably an 8 and now maybe a 6 just because of not doing it as much as I'd like.