• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Snapshot 7/3/19

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Describe your grilling gear.

• 22" Weber 'Jumbo Joe' charcoal grill
  • 14" Weber 'Smoky Joe' portable charcoal grill
  • some kind of Aussie two burner propane grill. I really don't care for this grill which I received as a gift, but can't get rid of it without offending the giver so it sits idle on the back porch

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Ooni pro pizza oven. I had a sidebox smoker for years (not a good one, a Char-Griller from Home Despot) but now I am grill-less. Last summer I decided to put the smoker out for free in the front yard before it rusted anymore and I had to take it to the dump. Some guy with a van grabbed it in about an hour.

HOWEVER, the Ooni fits my 18" cast iron pan and can burn charcoal. With the damper and a little watching, I can keep the heat pretty much wherever I want it and not have to babysit too much. It's still better at "fast and hot" than "low and slow," but I did some spare ribs a week ago (fast and hot at 450 for 45 minutes on charcoal with nothing but salt and pepper and olive oil on them) and they were great. Not falling-off the bone gelatinized, but super-meaty and terrific.

The local hardware store sells bags of royal oak for not too much money, so I'd probably like to get something to grill on at some point. I know I want it to be more durable than the char-griller, though.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Three-burner Weber propane grill. Sneer all you want, your purists, but with the number of times per week it gets used, it's worth the ease versus charcoal...

kms

Cyburbian
I have a small Weber charcoal grill, an Aussie grill that needs a little work and a gas-fueled smoker.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I don't even own a hibachi. Where do I go to surrender my Man Card?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've read good things about the Ooni pizza oven and was going to buy one when my son decided to get me a Bakerstone pizza grill box instead (as a gift). I'm kind of ambivalent about the Bakerstone. On the one hand, it's capable of producing pizza on par with what you get at the best wood fired pizza restaurants. But on the other hand, I've not had a great deal of success in getting the pizzas to slide off the piel and into the box and experience a high failure rate where the pizza crust gets all twisted and makes it impossible to rotate . That's kind of discouraging. So far I've chalked it up to inexperience, as I've only used it five times so far.

Gedunker said:
I don't even own a hibachi. Where do I go to surrender my Man Card?
Hey guys, we need a ruling here....obviously Gedunker needs to turn in his Man Card immediately, but does he bring shame upon two or is it three subsequent generations? I left the rule book at home and don't know off the top of my head.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Hey guys, we need a ruling here....obviously Gedunker needs to turn in his Man Card immediately, but does he bring shame upon two or is it three subsequent generations? I left the rule book at home and don't know off the top of my head.
I'm leaning towards two - he recognized and admitted his guilt. Any progeny rectifying his crime would of course help his case.

AG74683

Cyburbian
22" Weber Performer Platinum
14" Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 1200 Propane grill

The Performer gets used the most. I haven't touched the Smokey Joe in years. The Q 1200 was used last summer. I don't grill as much as I used to because of those food boxes I get. I need to get a cart for the Q 1200, I'd use it a lot more then.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Some sort of Weber 4 burner propane grill. I cannot recall what type. I've had it a few years and it works well and heats nice and evenly and I'm with Bubba in the ease of propane > using charcoal, especially if I'm using it a lot.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have a home depot special propane thing in the backyard, but it needs some cleaning and new propane so I'm between grills at the moment. I'm debating on getting a side smoker or vertical smoker. The vertical is more annoying to load charcoal in, but the side smoker is harder to maintain proper heat.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Some sort of Weber 4 burner propane grill. I cannot recall what type. I've had it a few years and it works well and heats nice and evenly and I'm with Bubba in the ease of propane > using charcoal, especially if I'm using it a lot.

View attachment 24706
Probably a Weber Genesis E-410. Those are great grills.

Gas is definitely easier, but not as satisfying. I'd use that Q 1200 every day if I had a way of easily setting it up. Alas, I don't yet.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I have a 4 burner charbroil propane grill. It was one of the cheaper grills at homedepot, but it does the job pretty well.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have a home depot special propane thing in the backyard, but it needs some cleaning and new propane so I'm between grills at the moment. I'm debating on getting a side smoker or vertical smoker. The vertical is more annoying to load charcoal in, but the side smoker is harder to maintain proper heat.
Not only are side smokers fuel hogs, but most of the affordable models tend to rust out after only a year or two.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I have a Big Lots Charbroil gas grill that's well past its serviceable life. I want to get a new grill, but probably not until I get a chance to put a roof over my patio to keep it out of the rain. (The structure is there but the previous owner put trellis panels in rather than roofing.)

shell_waster

Cyburbian
Kamado Joe classic. 18" of pure joy to cook with. Everything from baking, grilling, smoking. I'm looking forward to several racks of ribs that will be smoking on it tomorrow.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Some big round one that uses charcoal, and another one that can use charcoal on one side, and propane on the other (but that one is getting pretty rusty). :p I light the charcoal and then abdicate all grilling responsibility to the master grilling chef in my household.

Planit

Cyburbian
Weber 3-burner gas grill & I like it!

I have access to a cooker/smoker made out of an old 90 gallon oil tank. I think I mentioned before that 4 of us built - 2 have since moved away.

dandy - I think your grill might need more maintenance, but should last longer.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
...I've not had a great deal of success in getting the pizzas to slide off the piel and into the box and experience a high failure rate where the pizza crust gets all twisted and makes it impossible to rotate . That's kind of discouraging. So far I've chalked it up to inexperience, as I've only used it five times so far.
Here's my take, coming from somebody who had a failed launch that killed the glass pane on my ooni door (cold dough plus 700 degree glass = bang!) :

Stretch the dough on a butcher block/countertop or whatever, and use enough flour that you can get it slid onto a peel just before launching it into your oven/grillbox. there's no sense in assembling on a peel only to THEN find out it's stuck somewhere and isn't going to survive an attempted launch into the oven. Alternately, buy some pizza screens and assemble on those. Partway through the cook you can pull it and get it off the screen so you get nice scorch marks on the bottom of the crust!

Ooni replaced my glass for free, but told me I'd have to pay for the next one. I used my ooni to do a 5lb chicken in 45 minutes at 500 degrees on charcoal over the weekend and it was excellent.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 22" Weber Premium Charcoal grill with the built in thermometer in the lid. I really prefer a charcoal grill over a gas grill, using a chimney starter for the charcoal gets things going very quickly. I think I do pretty well :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have a 22" Weber Premium Charcoal grill with the built in thermometer in the lid. I really prefer a charcoal grill over a gas grill, using a chimney starter for the charcoal gets things going very quickly. I think I do pretty well :)

Ack! You display that image when I'm hungry - have you no conscience, woman?