• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Snapshot 8/12/19

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What was the last thing grilled outdoors at your house?

Me? Baby back ribs yesterday.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
At my house, hamburgers and hot dogs on Friday. I grilled boneless skinless chicken breast and thighs at my parents house.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
hamburgers and boneless pork ribs this past Friday for dinner.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Curious: is back yard grilling strictly a guy thing?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife has used our grill a few times. At her parents house, it's generally her dad who does the grilling though her mom does maybe 20% of the time (FWIW, my wife says she's never seen her dad cook an actual meal or even really help in the kitchen or do dishes other than just a random pot or two). At my parents house, my dad always cooked about 30-40% of the meals in the kitchen and if he wasn't making the main course, he almost always helped with something or other. But I've NEVER seen my mom use the grill outside.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Chicken thighs.

My mom was the household chef, which included doing all of the grilling. I cook/grill because I learned to love making food from her, not because of some sort of gender expectation that I should grill.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Strictly? No, but I imagine more things on any given day are grilled in the backyard by men than women. Doesn't make it an exclusive thing, though. For us, it's more of an efficient division of labor during dinner prep when we want something grilled as part of the meal - I handle the outdoor cooking portion, and Mrs. Bubba handles the indoor part of it.

Mrs. Bubba did as me to walk her through a couple of things on our grill last night (she's only used this particular grill once) - I'm going to start traveling for longer periods than usual for work next month, and she wanted to get more familiar with the quirks of this grill for when I'm gone.

kms

Cyburbian
Nope. I rarely use air conditioning, and have used the grill when I didn’t want the house to get any hotter.

The last thing I grilled was steak. Well, two of them.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Nope. I rarely use air conditioning, and have used the grill when I didn’t want the house to get any hotter.

The last thing I grilled was steak. Well, two of them.
Two steaks? You must have had company. That, or you're a growing girl ;)

I suspect the reason grilling is such a popular summer activity has much to do with getting out of hot kitchens. The folks grilling outdoors during winter, early spring, and late fall, however, are a different breed with different motives.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The folks grilling outdoors during winter, early spring, and late fall, however, are a different breed with different motives.
One of the few meats my oldest eats are hamburgers and grilling in January in 10F temps isn't that bad. :)

Bubba

Cyburbian
One of the few meats my oldest eats are hamburgers and grilling in January in 10F temps isn't that bad. :)
Urf. My general guidelines for "when I won't grill if asked" are lightening in the area, raining too hard (and I didn't get the grill relocated under cover in advance), or below 40 degrees. I have grilled when its been colder, but I am not a fan of it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Pfft. Between 25-40F is still shorts weather. Maybe I'll put on a hoodie. Maybe.

Now...I do have the grill on my deck which I can pull right up to the sliding glass door in our rec room, so it really just becomes grilling with the slider closed and periodically opening the door to flip the steamed hams.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Tri-tip last night. . . yummmmmm

Yeah, my SO does all the grilling. . . he's an expert so I just leave it to him.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Now...I do have the grill on my deck which I can pull right up to the sliding glass door in our rec room, so it really just becomes grilling with the slider closed and periodically opening the door to flip the steamed hams.
Not bad. I generally have mine positioned on the deck so it's about four steps straight out the door from the eat-in part of the kitchen - makes it easy to keep an eye on the temperature from inside.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Rain and thunderstorms are a deal killer as I don't want my equipment to rust, but will frequently grill when there's snow on the patio and just shovel out enough space for a grill and a lawn chair. And if its over 40 then, yeah, it's shorts and tee shirt time!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Rain and thunderstorms are a deal killer as I don't want my equipment to rust, but will frequently grill when there's snow on the patio and just shovel out enough space for a grill and a lawn chair. And if its over 40 then, yeah, it's shorts and tee shirt time!
I've grill in the snow a grand total of once (I think the most times its snowed in a season since I've been in Atlanta has been four). We had some flurries on Christmas Day a few years back - we were hosting a bunch of family members, and I had committed to grilling up several things for the dinner. It wasn't an unpleasant experience at all, but I have no urge to replicate it..

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Pfft. Between 25-40F is still shorts weather. Maybe I'll put on a hoodie. Maybe.

Steamed hams? Is that an Albany expression?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We only grill with charcoal at Chez Maister.

I have read reports where human beings have been documented grilling outside WHILE NOT consuming beer, however, I'm not one of those crazy daredevils, and am incapable of grilling without beer. One of the great things about winter grilling is that can keep your beer cold without a coozy, ice chest or any of that stuff - you just stick your can or bottle into the snowbank located next to you and - viola - ice cold beer!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's definitely a colloquialism from Upstate NY.
Well, I'm from Utica and I've never heard it.

I have read reports where human beings have been documented grilling outside WHILE NOT consuming beer, however, I'm not one of those crazy daredevils, and am incapable of grilling without beer. One of the great things about winter grilling is that can keep your beer cold without a coozy, ice chest or any of that stuff - you just stick your can or bottle into the snowbank located next to you and - viola - ice cold beer!
On the rare occasion I fire up the grill and don't have a beer next to me, my wife usually (rightly) assumes we must be all out.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm not a beer drinker, but a good bourbon based cocktail refreshes me while I grill.

Well, I'm from Utica and I've never heard it.
The Aurora Borealis? This time of year? In this part of the country?. Etc, etc.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
On the rare occasion I fire up the grill and don't have a beer next to me, my wife usually (rightly) assumes we must be all out.
I've always wondered how does that work? I mean you've got a beer in one hand and a spatula or tongs in the other and they logically balance each other out.....
But if you try to grill WITHOUT a beer you'd have a spatula in and one hand and...I don't know, what, a support post or some sort of suspension system to keep you from tipping over imbalanced?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I assume you're familiar?
For sure.

My 10 year old loves The Thompsons and I'm glad I never disposed of the various dvd season box sets I acquired over the years prior to his sentience.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The last thing I grilled was BBQ Chicken. It was slow roasted with a hickory filled smoker box. By the time we ate, the meat fell off the bone.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The last thing I grilled was BBQ Chicken. It was slow roasted with a hickory filled smoker box. By the time we ate, the meat fell off the bone.
Do you have an off-set smoker? or maybe an electric smoker? Tell us about your gear.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have a 6 burner gas grill and a weber smoker box that I put over the one burner that I turn on high on the far left or far right. [political joke] (Far left if it is pork far right if it is chicken) [/political joke] The box is filled with hickory, pecan, or cherry wood chips that are soaked for at least 24 hours to allow them to smoke instead of burn.

I put a cookie sheet under the grates to catch the grease from the chicken (whole chicken) and I put that in the middle burners that are turned off while the outer two are turned on and slow roast for at least a few hours.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably leans more towards guys, but there are plenty of women who grill.

My husband is inept at cooking anything on the grill and hates my Weber kettle charcoal grill. He doesn't mind eating what's cooked on it though.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I do pretty much all the grilling.

I've been told that I have a sixth sense for perfect meat cooking/grilling.

Apparently, similar to my one grandmother that was generally a pretty pedestrian cook, but was always excellent with meat prep/cook.

I have yet to do any long term smoking/roasting though. Mainly because I'm too lazy to wait around for it even though 'sitting around waiting' is pretty easy for me, in general.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have yet to do any long term smoking/roasting though. Mainly because I'm too lazy to wait around for it even though 'sitting around waiting' is pretty easy for me, in general.
Here's what you're missing out on with the long term smoking or roasting.....all the time you spend "monitoring" the grill you get to sit by in a lawn chair drinking a beer (or in your case a dry martini). "Yeah, I'd love to help you [do whatever] but I have to keep checking on these [ribs, brisket, kebabs, etc.]"