• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Snout Houses

ROBERT

I need a good example of regulations that address design to discourage snout houses. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

ROBERT

Well I guess since you are in Iowa that explains why the term is foreign to you . It is houses where the the majority of the garage sticks out in front of the remainder of the facade. Ugly, especially when there are 20 -30 in a row.

Last edited:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Thanks, I'd never heard that term before.

HilaryP

Try Phoenix or Chandler, Arizona - I think both cities have some kind of ordinances limiting snout houses.
Hilary

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A snout house is a house with a visually dominant garage. The following is language I'm proposing in the rewrite of my town's zoning code. The first paragraph is based on language in the Aurora, Colorado Zoning Code. (The adopted code will use both English and metric measurements.)

202.15.01 Avoiding garagescapes. New housing development should avoid front elevations that result in a streetscape consisting mainly of rows of garage doors ("snout houses,” tail pipe architecture," “garagescape”). A front-loading garage may occupy up to 50% of the house linear frontage. For each run of four or more houses (lots in a row along one side of a street between two streets), up to 25% of all lots may contain houses with street facing garage doors that project 8’ or more from the front of the dominant building line. Remaining lots must have alternately-loaded garages, such as recessed garage doors, side load garages, rear entry garages, recessed detached garages, and/or similar types of garage orientation where the garage doors are located less than 4’ in front of the building line.

202.15.02 Three car garages. Garages that are designed to serve more than two cars must be designed so garage bays beyond the first two are recessed by 4’ or more from the main garage frontage.