• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Snow Day

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
So, I didn't get today off for President's Day... but we got so much snow they've declared a snow emergency and we are closed. This is the first time my office has closed due to snow since 1977.

Anybody else getting a snow day today?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
we had today off for Prez day but there is no way anyone could make it to work in the DC metro area. i figure i got close to 2 feet at my house. they are using front end loaders to move the snow. my street has not been plowed and i dont expect it to be till some time tomorrow. in the mean time i need to mark that the lump of snow is my car-there is no part of it visable! my little silver saturn is snow bound.

if the boss thinks im going in tomorrow hes gonna get a bit of my mind and then some!

its pretty though

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Again, thank you El Nino...

Here in SE Wisconsin we had a bout 6" of snow one day last week - our only "real" snow of the year to far. It's all melted already. My grass finally turned brown about 2 weeks ago.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
are you sure it's El Niño that's influencing the mild weather there?
Here at least whenever El Niño is around it doesn't rain.. IT POURS! Lots of floods and things like that...

Boy...I sure miss snow... We don't get snow here :( Although now it's summer, but in winter it doesn't snow either... just very rare exceptions... like in 1992 and 1995, otherwise it's just rain or frost.

donk

Cyburbian
I wish we had snow instead of the freezing temperatures we have had for the past 2 weeks. Today is the first break and it is a balmy -10 Celcius. Better then the -40's, with wind chill, we've been having.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We're supposed to be getting the tail end of the storm that hit Washington today, but it'll only be maybe 5cm worth of snow. That will probably double what's on the ground out there right now. Like Donk, we've been freezing for the past few weeks, but relief is supposedly in sight.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Got about 14 inches here, office closed, guys with a bobcat walking up and down the subdivision clearing driveways for 20 bucks a pop. They are making a killing.

Sledding this afternoon with my daughter Katie. After nap of course.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
are you sure it's El Niño that's influencing the mild weather there?
Here at least whenever El Niño is around it doesn't rain.. IT POURS! Lots of floods and things like that...
You'll find that many midwesterners (myself included) look forward to El Nino winters because they're usually so mild. Here in Chicago, we missed most of the big snow. We got maybe 2 in. over the weekend.

El Nino winters here tend to be one week of normally cold and snowy weather followed by one week of abnormally warm weather, and then back to the cold.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
pete-rock said:

You'll find that many midwesterners (myself included) look forward to El Nino winters because they're usually so mild. Here in Chicago, we missed most of the big snow. We got maybe 2 in. over the weekend.

El Nino winters here tend to be one week of normally cold and snowy weather followed by one week of abnormally warm weather, and then back to the cold.
Agreed! We also appreciate days like today when the file server crashes, the mail server crashes, the T-1 line stays connected! and both IS guys are out of the office :) Cyburbia time!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ok 18 inches i guess of snow. took me just over 2 hours to dig the ole saturn out, thank god some guys down the street had pitty on the bama girl with her little shovel and came to help. got it out and pulled off the street. the plows scare me!

but whats worse they are using huge front end loaders here to move the snow, the plows cant move it anymore there is no where to PUT it.

took the metro into the City-what a mess the roads are scary, metro was all kinds of screwed up. did lots of walking and i hope my toes unthaw here soon.

no work tomorrow-thank god, not real sure how id get there

PG

Cardinal

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
but whats worse they are using huge front end loaders here to move the snow, the plows cant move it anymore there is no where to PUT it.
What you need are wide rights-of-way with terraces, generous building setbacks, and parking lots between commercial buildings and the street. Then you would have plenty of room for all that snow. Aren't the suburbs great?

Runner

Cyburbian
No snow here in central Texas. The grass is growing and will unfortunately need mowing soon... :(

Last edited:
We had off yesterday, and got about 13". I'm just sooooooo tired of the snow and cold. However, I did hear that we may be getting into the forties sometime this week, for the first time in about 8 weeks! woo hoo! we've had very very minimal meltage here, and still have a good two feet left from the Christmas Storm. sigh.

Jeff

Cyburbian
2' of snow here, and my wife's car got plowed in by the a$$hole plow guy (he did it on prupose b/c we asked him not too).

I spent 8 hours shoveling yesterday nad still have to dig the car out from under a 6' high pile of snow :(

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
We got 18" total. The largest snowfall since 1950.

The shoveling wouldn't have been so bad if 3 of our neighbors hadn't been out of town. So we wound up shoveling a ton of snow.

But we still think its fun. It's only our 2nd winter since moving from Texas so we still think shoveling is a novelty.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm actually jealous of all you with lots of snow...we've got about 5cm in the past 24 hours. That sucks!

donk

Cyburbian
PG,

The proper response to a dork room mate during a snow storm is "If you want to work out, feel free to shovel my car out for me"

As for backs, remember to lift with the legs, and not the back and don't pivot throw the snow straight away from you.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
From Florida and now living in the frozen tundra of NoVA. Must move back to Florida because snow is not fun as soon as possible. Been trapped in the house for 3 days, finally got out today. First real experience living in snow and I don't like it. I think snow makes me grumpy.

ecofem

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
From Florida and now living in the frozen tundra of NoVA. Must move back to Florida because snow is not fun as soon as possible. ....
Move back to Florida! Trail Nazis are in limited supply here.... you should not have left!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
ecofem said:

Move back to Florida! Trail Nazis are in limited supply here.... you should not have left!

I am trying to get back. Must convince the stubborn husband that living in a frozen tundra is not for us, since he is from Florida too. However, everytime it snows here, I am left here and he is out of state in a warm place like Florida or Texas. Evil husband.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Gee, Trail Nazi, evil friends, too since we talked you into moving. Hope you have managed to dig yourself out by now...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
well this is my first full winter in NoVa too and darn if fla with my dad is not looking better and better but im told over and over this is NOT normal weather. so i plan to stick it out and see for myself. course im wondering what kinda drugs the city manager is on to say we gotta be there at 8 am tomorrow. my street is pretty much a parking lot

i hate snow

Seabishop

Cyburbian
A man in Framingham, MA assaulted a town plow driver with a shovel during the snow storm. He said that the driver was "mocking him" by repeatedly plowing the street and blocking his driveway.

nerudite

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
hrumph Id be happy just to see a plow down my street!
Yeah... no doubt! They don't plow Edmonton side streets, and we've had a few dumps of snow (but not as big as in DC). A guy is suing the City now because the P.O.S. car he was driving dropped it's muffler after hitting some ice ruts in his streets at a high velocity. It's sad because everyone is complaining about how bad the streets are, but then nobody moves their vehicles out of the street so the plows can actually work... dumbasses!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Trail Nazi said:
I am trying to get back.
You can take my old job. The position is still vacant, and the CM is looking for a planner with lots of Florida experience. Dealing with the DCA, you know. Friendly people, a huge variety of work, and the WOT literally a few steps past your door.

However the pay is so-so, the hours long, the budget non-existent, and the office space "Class D;" the roaches have first dibs. You sure you want to go back?