• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

So it's Edwards afterall

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Being a NC girl I cant tell you how thrilled I was when the news hit this AM on the way to work. Im sure the other drivers thought I was having some sort of attack-jumping around in my car all excited. :-D

Im looking forward to voting Bush out of office!

Floridays

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
DITTO! Living in one of the "swing states," it should be interesting. Especially since South Florida has had some "election malfunctions" (to put it gently) in the past. :-$
Bush has no original ideas in that empty little head of his. Watching him speak is like seeing a puppet dangling from strings. I mean, look at his EYES sometime. They are just...blank.
And the war? Don't even get me started. What a sham.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Wow, that's a long shot, don't you know that Kerry and Edwards will be detained before the election for some violation of the Patriot Act?;)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
Watching him speak is like seeing a puppet dangling from strings. I mean, look at his EYES sometime. They are just...blank.
Our Register of Deeds is up for reelection, and one of her ads has a picture of her and W in it. I should see if I can't get it scanned. He seriously looks like Manson - with that blank penetrating stare.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Gotta give the man credit, Edwards will enhance the ticket.

If the Republicans are smart (and I'm not saying they are) Cheney will resign "for the good of the ticket," Rumsfeld will also fall on his sword and take over as Whitehouse Chief of Staff and W should pick J.C. Watts for his running mate. J.C. would kick ass and out charm Edwards as well as capturing the 10 to 20 person black Republican vote. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm glad for Kerry's sake that he picked Edwards over Gephart. Gephart did so poorly in Iowa and his past tries that he has "loser" written all over him, whether its fair or not. Edwards has the common-man charm and working class background that Kerry lacks.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A good solid pick for the Dems. Kerry needed a southern charmer, and this one has credibility to boot.

I agree with EG - Bush should shed some deadwood and liven things up in his camp or the conservatives may let this one slip through.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I agree with EG - Bush should shed some deadwood ...
I thought the was the deadwood (Cheney, Rumsfeld) that was keeping him afloat and got him elected in the first place. How many times did I hear from my Republican friends that, "Yes, Bush isn't sharp, but look at who he has around him"? Let's not forget Gail Norton. She scares me.

The Irish One

There is only one way for the Republicans to win, put Arnold in for VP.

The Aryan Brotherhood -sorry I meant Republican party will finally admit that Austrians know how to run the world -I meant country. ;-)

made some edits.

BKM

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
What blank look? You mean this one?
<-----------
I have to admit that I have never noticed Kerry's eyes. My glance just can't rise above that CHIN! :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that it was a good choice. However, I do feel that Bush is strong enough that he will still win this one. I think that Kerry’s lack of a firm stance on any issues will hurt his chances too much. Regardless of who win’s it will be a close vote, and I think that it will once again come down to one state.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Gotta give the man credit, Edwards will enhance the ticket.

If the Republicans are smart (and I'm not saying they are) Cheney will resign "for the good of the ticket," Rumsfeld will also fall on his sword and take over as Whitehouse Chief of Staff and W should pick J.C. Watts for his running mate. J.C. would kick ass and out charm Edwards as well as capturing the 10 to 20 person black Republican vote. ;)
Oh no, my friend. The association known as the Brothers Looking At Conservatives to beat Kerry Soon (BLACKS) has a solid membership that is 70 strong and growing. ;)

BTW, while I think Edwards is a great choice, my guess is that he won't help Kerry much in the South. He will help him most with the Midwest Swingers like Ohio, Iowa and Missouri, and Pennsylvania as well.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Also Edwards will help Kerry by having the ability to attract crush votes from female voters. Something which I'm afraid will be quite impossible for Kerry. ;-)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
jordanb said:
Also Edwards will help Kerry by having the ability to attract crush votes from female voters. Something which I'm afraid will be quite impossible for Kerry. ;-)
Jeez -- what would old Abe Lincoln have to say about this?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
J.C.(Watts) would kick ass and out charm Edwards as well as capturing the 10 to 20 person black Republican vote. ;)
With a little research, I found out that J.C. Watts belongs to an even larger group than BLACKS.

J.C. is a founding member of Conservatives Organized against Liberals and Orchestrating a Republican Election Despite our Skin (COLOREDS). ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
pete-rock said:
With a little research, I found out that J.C. Watts belongs to an even larger group than BLACKS.

J.C. is a founding member of Conservatives Organized against Liberals and Orchestrating a Republican Election Despite our Skin (COLOREDS). ;)
I'm dying here, man.....you're killing me.

Pete - you are a genius.........brilliant. :-D

The One

Cyburbian
NC.....Not......

PlannerGirl said:
Being a NC girl I cant tell you how thrilled I was when the news hit this AM on the way to work. Im sure the other drivers thought I was having some sort of attack-jumping around in my car all excited. :-D

Doesn't it bother you that Edwards won't be able to deliver North Carolina to Kerry?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
... I agree with EG - Bush should shed some deadwood and liven things up in his camp or the conservatives may let this one slip through.
There are many conservatives, or at least Republicans, who are very upset over Bush's handling of the economy. Frankly, my attraction to the Republicans was for the most part attributable to their traditional fiscal policies (or at least rhetoric). Clinton actually did a much better job than Bush has on controlling federal spending. Bush is seen by many Republicans as profligate in spending and irresponsible in pushing through his tax cuts. He may find very lukeward support among many in his supposed base.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
There are many conservatives, or at least Republicans, who are very upset over Bush's handling of the economy. Frankly, my attraction to the Republicans was for the most part attributable to their traditional fiscal policies (or at least rhetoric). Clinton actually did a much better job than Bush has on controlling federal spending. Bush is seen by many Republicans as profligate in spending and irresponsible in pushing through his tax cuts. He may find very lukeward support among many in his supposed base.
True, but for every fiscal conservative who cringes over the Administration's handling of the economy and federal budget, there's at least one social conservative who's more concerned with having a President who projects an international image of strength, is guided by a strong moral compass, and fights abortion and gay marriage vigorously.

I don't think many Republican fiscal conservatives will vote for Kerry in protest of Bush's economic policies; many will just not vote. However, social conservatives will be out in full force in November. I think of them as Bush's real base.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The One I never said Edwards would carry NC but I think he stands a damn strong chance of it. Edwards is anti NAFTA and NAFTA has destroyed so much of NC's economic base. The Textile plants have gone to Mexico and India, many of the tech companies that were NC's hope for the future have also gone overseas.

I think many workers out of jobs in NC will see that about Edwards and think long and hard on it. Many many people in NC are military or prior military or depend on the military for their incomes and with the war things are again hurting. More and more vets, active miltary and familes are turning away from Bush and again this will only help Edwards appeal.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Gedunker said:
Jeez -- what would old Abe Lincoln have to say about this?
Well, John Edwards' ability to talk to dead people, he should be able to find out.

Oh ... wrong John Edwards. Sorry.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Well, John Edwards' ability to talk to dead people, he should be able to find out.

That is not fair... dead people should not vote. I know that they have in the past, and it is illegal, but it is not fair if he or anyone who may say that he is John Edward's can talk to dead people.

If he says vote for me, they are just going to see the name on the ballot... and not know that it is another John...

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
True, but for every fiscal conservative who cringes over the Administration's handling of the economy and federal budget, there's at least one social conservative who's more concerned with having a President who projects an international image of strength, is guided by a strong moral compass, and fights abortion and gay marriage vigorously.......
That is called not shoring up your base. And gw has not done that yet.

It is now known that some large GOP business leaders have been in contact with the Kerry camp discussing support despite Kerry's record of not being overly business friendly. Why does this matter?

Because business feels it can out lobby the next democrat, while they are unhappy with how bush is operating his fiscal policy, and business also does not want to be shackled by the morality police leading the GOP. Also, the GOP is NOT good for the state of education in this country. Therefore, business is better off under Kerry than gw.

So just keep reminding yourself that if the race is within the margin of error, Kerry wins when there is a high percentage of undecideds who want change.

Best outcome, Dems hold the whitehouse and the senate. GOP holds the house. Why? GRIDLOCK is a wonderful thing! :-D

otterpop

Cyburbian
Edwards is a good choice. Hopefully the Democrats can send the President-Select back to Crawford, Texas, after the election.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Edwards is a good choice. Hopefully the Democrats can send the President-Select back to Crawford, Texas, after the election.
Well, not right after the election. There is the Lame Duck amendement after all, with emphasis on "lame". Sorry, ducks.

The One

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
The One I never said Edwards would carry NC but I think he stands a damn strong chance of it.
I never said you said this B-) ....just wanted to know if it bugs you like it bugs me :-\ , that chances are bad for this state going to Kerry......Similar to when Gore gave up Tennessee in 2000 :-c .....although, by then he was really a D.C. kind of guy.....

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I've heard the talking heads state that Edwards will help in swing states in the midwest (Ohio, Mich, Ill, Mo, and IA), and as we have a lot of members from these states I'm wondering what the impression may be?

Interestingly, Indiana hasn't been carried by a democrat since LBJ... :-|

boiker

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I've heard the talking heads state that Edwards will help in swing states in the midwest (Ohio, Mich, Ill, Mo, and IA), and as we have a lot of members from these states I'm wondering what the impression may be?

Interestingly, Indiana hasn't been carried by a democrat since LBJ... :-|
Illinois here. Edwards isn't specifically helping me out.. neither is Kerry.... but I can't vote for Dubya. So by default, Dems win my vote.

jordanb

Cyburbian
By Ill do you mean Illinois? We're not a swing state at all anymore. :) Which is somewhat unfortunate because I would have liked to get Dan to reinberse my 9/11 ticket. I'm poor so I could use the money. ;-)