• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

So last night a bartender at Applebee's...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
.....talked on her cell phone to friends while customers stacked up waiting to place orders. When confronted with this fact, the bartender exclaimed, "tell it to the hand!"

Planit

Cyburbian
...kept talking to the fly boy at the end of the bar trying to get a hookup. My glass had been empty for a while.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
There's no such thing as a "bartender" at an Applebee's. There may be people who pour drinks in some indiscriminate manner but to call them bartenders is really an insult to honest-to-God professionals everywhere.

Shut down this thread now.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no such thing as a "bartender" at an Applebee's. There may be people who pour drinks in some indiscriminate manner but to call them bartenders is really an insult to honest-to-God professionals everywhere.

hahahaha there are people that hang out in bars in chain restaurants though - I think it's a thing!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
...audibly farted, gestured with a fanning motion, and said "WHEW! DO NOT COME OVER HERE!"

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
...traded her MG for a Chrysler LeBaron.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
...signed a lucrative tell-all book deal after being fired.

Bubba

Cyburbian
hahahaha there are people that hang out in bars in chain restaurants though - I think it's a thing!
Well, yeah, for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it actually is the best option in town...sometimes it's simply within walking distance of one's abode...and sometimes on work travel (and we've discussed this before, I think) all you want to do at the end of the day is walk to the closest restaurant (whatever it may be) and sit at the bar.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
....revealed he had no previous experience or training whatsoever qualifying him to be an actual bartender.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh it absolutely is, and it's depressing as hell. I dated a girl for a while a few years ago. She works at a local restaurant (no chain) but her sister works at a large chain, Kick Back Jacks. The sister had a ton of regulars. One was an older man (70's I think). He showered her with gifts. Jewelry, cash, gift cards, etc. I mean she took it because she's a single mom and sometimes it was extraordinary stuff, like 1k cash. It's not like she was giving him anything on the side, just bartending, that was all.

I have a friend of a friend who posts pictures on his Facebook of his regular Friday exploits to, surprise! Kick Back Jacks. He goes every Friday, without fail, sometime around 4 PM. He's younger too, maybe mid to late 40's or early 50's.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Kick Back Jacks
Had to look that one up - there are actually two chains with that name (the one you're speaking of in NC and VA, and a separate concept with a couple of locations in CA). I'm not so sure I would lump that in with the nationwide fern bar chains like Applebee's - it seems more akin to a couple of smaller regional chains here in the ATL area that are also considered the neighborhood watering holes at some locations.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Had to look that one up - there are actually two chains with that name (the one you're speaking of in NC and VA, and a separate concept with a couple of locations in CA). I'm not so sure I would lump that in with the nationwide fern bar chains like Applebee's - it seems more akin to a couple of smaller regional chains here in the ATL area that are also considered the neighborhood watering holes at some locations.
I didn't even realize it was that small of a chain. I love it though, definitely my favorite place for wings.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I didn't even realize it was that small of a chain. I love it though, definitely my favorite place for wings.
There was an outpost of a similarly-sized local chain around the corner from my old house that was my regular spot for wings and beer for almost two decades. There's another location of the same chain in my new 'hood...and it's terrible. I've been there three times in the last two years and been unhappy with the experience every time. Go figure.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
It's not a chain (at least not yet), but I like my local DFW Bills Backers bar, a place called Buffalo Bros. The guy who started it, Ed, is from Buffalo. He was a chef for one of the nicer restaurants in town. The owner of that place is a local restaurateur who has several high-end restaurants. Anyway, Ed pitched his concept for a Buffalo bar deep in the heart of Texas and his boss decided to back him on the venture, located in the midst of the TCU campus. Earlier this year they opened a second location in downtown Fort Worth and it's doing very well, so it could become a chain.

The original location is part neighborhood bar, part college hangout, part sports bar, and part Buffalo "old man's tavern". The downtown location is a little more ambitious, more of a premium level sports bar with the same Buffalo-heavy food selections (more than just wings).

In addition to watching Bills games there, I also typically get pizza there on Mondays when they have a half-off pizza special. They know me pretty well, and even sometimes answer the phone, "Hello, Paul... the usual?" because a lot of them recognize my phone number.

DVD

Cyburbian
...filled out an application for that other restaurant/bar across the parking lot.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
A group of us regularly carpooled to grad school classes when they were remote location in Austin. There was a Chili's about two blocks from the building that also happened to have a great deal on beer pints during happy hour immediately before class. More than once we all were trying not to giggle & laugh after deciding to go for "just one more won't hurt us."

michaelskis

Cyburbian

No truer words have ever been spoken...

They can't always be like this though:

Back on topic, So last night a bartender at Applebee's spent 15 minutes out back on a cigarette break and didn't bother to tell anyone. When they did return, they talked smack about how the manager does not give her god appointed breaks on a regular basis and how she needs to go back to Chilli's.