• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

So, what are we reading?

SGB

Cyburbian
I seems like many of us aren't reading HRC's book, so what are we reading in all of our spare time?

I'll start:

Currently: Hail Babylon!: In Search of the American City at the End of the Millennium by Andrei Codrescu

Up next: The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Back in February, I finished "Prozac Nation," by Elizabeth Wurtzel. Good fun! I actually loved that book - vivid, frank, and full of crazy fun!

BKM

Cyburbian
We've done this before, I think, but its fun.

I tend to browse more than one book simultaneously, so here is my current "list"

Roissy Express: An interesting "tour" of Paris' suburbs. A little twee in style, but still very perceptive.

Wonders of the African World (Henry Louis Gates Jr.) A companion to the PBS series of a few years back. - A fascinating (brief) survey of major African civilizations. I had no knowledge of the complex history of Ethiopia. Really interesting and accessibly written.

Next up: Bangkok 8- a "Thai Noire" Police Procedural-as soon as I can find a copy.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have been attempting to read Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" for about 4 months now, but I can't seem to get going on it. It is always so much easier to read a magazine, newspaper, or watch television.

I also have a book I got from a discount rack called "Please Kill Me: The Oral History of Punk Music" or something like that. I have read the first two chapters of that. Also trying to read a travel book on Montana since I am going there at the end of summer.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Radical Son, David Horowitz
Who's Your Caddy?, Rick Rielly

Every Tongue Got to Confess by Zora Neale Hurston. It's a collection of Negro folk tales from the Gulf South.

And a crapload of wedding planning magazines and books.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
One of Tom Clancy's 'net force" paperbacks. Its kind of boring so far...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The Dominguez - Escalante Journal, the third translation of the journal kept by Fra Silvestre Velez de Escalante of the expedition through the American Southwest in 1776.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Yikes, you are all so intellectual! OK, what are you really reading? :)

I just finished Basket Case, by Carl Hiaasen. Another great satire from the Florida-based columnist.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The last thing I read: The end of Eternity, by Isaac Asimov
What I want to read next: 1984, by George Orwell
;)

donk

Cyburbian
Just finished reading Phillip K. Dick's "Time Out of Joint".

Recently read Hunter S. Thompson's "Kingdom of Fear" and Dee Dee Ramone's "Chelsea Horror Hotel"

I am browsing through a couple of other books on religion and ethics.

I have a big stack of comics to pick up at the comic book store, next time I am down that way (2 hr drive away).

Will probably reread some of the Vonnegut books I have until I find something new to read.

Just finished The Beach House by James Patterson. Like Repo, I tried and tried to read the Corrections and just could NOT get into it.

I think I'm due to re-read the Outlander series again.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
"majesty of the law" the new book by Sandra Day O'connor

Very good, Im most impressed with her as a person even if i dont always agree with her.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I read Franzen's "The Corrections" last year and loved it. Repo and Downtown - stick with it, it's worth it once you plow through all that extraneous detail on that financial deal. I still laugh to myself when I think of Chip and the smoked salmon scene.

I finished "Fast Food Nation" a little while ago - actually talks about some planning issues. Great book. I also read "The Grapes of Wrath" and an autobiography by the writer Paul Monette. Both were terrific.

kms

Cyburbian
Fifth Avenue:The Best Address. About NYC's Fifth Ave's progression, with some description of life there and some of the people involved. The book would be better if it included some maps with the narratives, but I enjoyed it.

mcmplans

Cyburbian
Just finished reading "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold and am currently reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwan.

Repo Man and Downtown, I read "The Corrections" last year, had to force myself to finish it, and hated every last second of it. I think it is just one of those love it or hate it books. Not much in the middle.

mcmplans said:
Just finished reading "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold and am currently reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwan.
I loved "The Lovely Bones" - i highly recommend to everyone.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I just finished Ian McEwan's "Atonement". It was great. I haven't had a chance to hit the bookshops lately, so I'm just snoozing on the subway these days...

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I am reading "What to expect when you're expecting", month 8 and other baby books. Right now, my brain can handle only so much, such as People magazine.

Trail Nazi said:
I am reading "What to expect when you're expecting", month 8 and other baby books. Right now, my brain can handle only so much, such as People magazine.
I'm about maxed out on reading about the baby. Maybe the daily vomiting has made me a tad resentful, but if I have to read one more time about the second trimester being the honeymoon phase, i'm going to have to do some book burning. :)

The Irish One

ThEODORE REX by Edmund Morris

and I just finished reading a pair of mystery PI books by Laura Lippman. Charm City and Butchers Hill. They take place in Baltimore.

On the shelf waiting to be read are Dutch by Edmund Morris and Crashing the Party by Ralph Nader. Got those for nice price- 6 bucks each.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
I'm about maxed out on reading about the baby. Maybe the daily vomiting has made me a tad resentful, but if I have to read one more time about the second trimester being the honeymoon phase, i'm going to have to do some book burning. :)
You know that second trimester was no honeymoon for me. At least I got rid of the morning sickness, my brain just really started to go in that trimester - anything too difficult to intake just gets blocked out automatically. Therefore, I have to write down everything and keep my list on me because if I don't have it close by I forget that I even had a list with things to do. I wish you the best of luck and do not get the absent-mindedness that they love to talk about.

I can only handle so much reading about baby too. I am a bit maxed out myself, but I can tolerate a page about every 4 or 5 days. I will join you on the book burning ritual .

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I just finished "The Intuitionist" by Colson Whitehead. An OK book with an interesting premise. It takes place in an alternate world where elevators are the height of that world's technology, and elevator inspection is a somewhat prestigious position. And the inspectors come from two schools of thought: Intuitionists, who view elevator inspection in a new agey, "holistic" way; and Empiricists, the technicians and mechanics who control elevator inspection in this world.

It's kinda like planners vs. engineers.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Right now I'm reading:

Peloponessian War - Thucydides. Proof that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Seven Pillars of Wisdom - T.E. Lawrence. Starts off as a lark, but ol' Lawrence of Arabia is becoming more of a weirdo whacked-out freak the deeper I get into the book.

Project Girl - Janet McDonald. I'm not far enough along to have an opinion yet, but it's trending whiney, which bodes ill.

Runner

Cyburbian
You mean besides keeping up with all the e-mail that arrives from various listservs and articles posted on Planetizen? :)

The Experience of Place by Tony Hiss

up next

Home from Nowhere by Jim Kunstler

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Has anyone seen the latest edition of Economic Perspectives (one of many free publications through the Federal Reserve, including some very good ones on community/economic development)? Here's a couple I really can't wait to read:

"Temporary help services and the volatility of industry output"

"Testing the Calvo model of sticky prices"

carlomarx

Cyburbian
"Girlfriend in a Coma" -Douglas Coupland. Inspiring book, makes you want to love the world and fix it all.

"Last Temptation of Christ" -Nikos Kazantzakis (sp?). Because hey, we're ALL human.

"CHE: A Revolutionary Life" -Jon Anderson. Interesting, but not exactly laugh-a-minute bio of el Che.

It's hard to read with all this kayaking to be done. It is summer, after all.

Cheers.