• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Social Justice warriors: do they earn their reputation?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don’t know about you, but the phrase Social Justice Warrior (SJW) carries negative connotations in my experience. That said, I have seen the phrase used by some individuals as if it were a positive thing (e.g. saw someone self-identifying as one on a dating site ad years ago) but I think the term is generally viewed as being a pejorative nowadays.
What do you think the term means now, and do you think it meant something different 10-15 years ago? Have you ever encountered someone acting like a SJW, but refused to identify themselves as such?

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Social justice as a concept in itself isn't bad but the addition of 'warrior' is, imho, what made things problematic.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Social justice as a concept in itself isn't bad but the addition of 'warrior' is, imho, what made things problematic.
I agree, it's the 'warrior' part that's problematic. Everyone can agree that social justice is a desirable thing, but how we as a society achieve it is where there's wide disagreement. SJW's are infamous for correcting others on their use of various speech conventions, such as insisting upon hyphenating people's identity when multiple cultural sources of identity exist (e.g. African-American), or introducing new terms like 'cisgendered' in order to get people to think differently about issues related to sexual orientation. Many people are annoyed by such efforts and feel SJW's have no right to expect others to adopt new speech patterns, simply because doing so might result in heightened social justice awareness.

How do societies or cultures change their values over time? What mechanisms or agents cause those changes to occur?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
How do societies or cultures change their values over time? What mechanisms or agents cause those changes to occur?
Cataclysmic used to do it pervious eras. Nothing like an invasion, volcano, climate, war, population explosion, etc to spur on changes. In America, what we are seeing is the continuing echos from the baby boomers and their wild shift from idealism to conservatism when they had to start raising families.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Is this a chicken or egg thing? If everyone would just get woke, then we wouldn't need SJWs, ergo, we need SJWs so that everyone can get woke. I guess I'm guessing that it's an education thing. SJWs want change to happen so fast that they're not ashamed to stand up or get in your face, or, because of a mike-dropping meme they saw on Facebook they feel emboldened to spew their zeitgeist all over you.

DVD

Cyburbian
The big questions is if SJWs will become like vegans. Those annoying people that think they're better than you because they are doing a thing and you're not.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The big questions is if SJWs will become like vegans. Those annoying people that think they're better than you because they are doing a thing and you're not.
It's probably the stereotypical smug moral superiority that many SJW's radiate that puts folks off more than anything.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok, this is a loaded question. One one hand, I think that there is a lot of work to do when it comes to social justice. However, when I hear social justice "warrior," it makes be think of materialistic or anarchy style actions that are taking not to bring about a sense of equality, but to disrupt the system in a way that punishes others.

For example, those who attack people who have a MAGA hat on. Does the action of wearing the hat automatically justify the actions by the SJW? Or those who riot in the streets looting businesses in the name of economic or racial equality.

As for the vegans, I have no problem with people being vegan as long as they told tell me that I can't eat meat. It seems that there is a form of SJW that has taking a moral crusade to prevent harming animals and has promoted the idea of a plant based diet as the perfect solution... Oh they happen to also be funded by Monsanto...

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
It might sound stupid, but I think you have to distinguish between a person who is engaged in activities that promote social justice and equity and a self-declared SJW - who may or may not actually give a true damn about social justice. For example, a great majority of people using Cyburbia are urban planners, which in turn probably means that at some point you consciously or unconsciously decided that you would work in a job that would pay you less for your talents and abilities, but would allow you to be a real part of the solution (equity in housing, due process for property rights, providing transit options, better environmental practices, etc.)

People that knock MAGA hats off people's heads are posers. People who sit at a Starbuck's and update their dating profiles to declare themselves SJdubs are wannabes. The real warriors for social justice will never declare themselves such. They just fucking do it.