• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Software program for zoning

John Cornetta

I am having a hell of a time cutting up the zoning maps of any county. I am trying to zone a very particular type of business that has to be 1000 feet away from residential, a church etc.. Is there a program that will locate those areas and things and basically show me where to go and build, rent or buy a building? If so , how can I get my hands on it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail me john@cornettaentreprises.com Thank you

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Adult book store, huh?

If the municipality you are locating in doesn't have their zoning maps encoded into a GIS (geographic information system), you've probably got to resort to a scale. With GIS-based zoning maps, an adept user can create a query to find parcels that meet the distance requirements.

As far as renting or buying a building goes, that's best left to a commercial real estate professional -- can't offer any help from this end. Sorry ...

Dan

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Perhaps the local planning/zoning office already has prepared such maps: ask them. They should be able to prove to you that sites are available or currently used.