• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Home stuff 🏡 Some houses make you scratch your head and wonder...

Real estate, home improvement, DIY, gardening, appliances, tools, moving, etc.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
"Remuddle Revival"

Remuddle Revival.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Its a group home. I think I counted 5 kitchens. My favorite room is the pink walled bathroom. The window treatment looks like it unfurls from two rolls of toilet paper.

That was my thought as well. If it wasn't specifically a group home, my guess was that it was a family with a crap ton of adopted and foster children (there was a home like that in these parts that I saw a few years ago where it was sectioned off almost exactly like that with separate living areas for the foster kids based on age and gender.

That particular house (the one out this way) made the local news because the parents were running the foster care like a work camp and "homeschooling" all the kids but really making them work like 12 hour days doing farm work (I will say the house they put them up in was pretty kick ass though, at least according to the pictures that were in the paper).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Okay, I know this one is just for sale for the land, but somebody had some fun writing the property description:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Okay, I know this one is just for sale for the land, but somebody had some fun writing the property description:

That's more creative than the now hackneyed "handyman's dream" listing.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian

Some houses are just better torn down. Not worth the rehab on this one.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Unrelated side note: Habitat 67 is truly an iconic development. I recall a picture of this model community adorned the cover of my 6th grade social studies book in 1975.
That's pretty neat. Habitat is one of my favorite vistas of the Montréal skyline and often I drive or bike down there to just stare at it while listening to the sound of the rapids of the Pied-du-Courant that are behind it. Peak brutalism, If I were rich, I'd live there.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Unrelated side note: Habitat 67 is truly an iconic development. I recall a picture of this model community adorned the cover of my 6th grade social studies book in 1975.
My recently married parents visited it during the 67 Expo as they were living in Buffalo at the time.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I can't have a stove without a decent hood over it, that's crazy!

like this

View attachment 50779

Speaking of hoods over the stove, how about installing a hood in a back room so you can move your bbq grill inside? This house hit the market near us recently and this photo really made me scratch my head. I've never heard of doing this before:.

1614267621424.png

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Speaking of hoods over the stove, how about installing a hood in a back room so you can move your bbq grill inside? This house hit the market near us recently and this photo really made me scratch my head. I've never heard of doing this before:.

View attachment 50781
C'mon....it's MI. Grilling outdoors in the winter is mandatory and a point of pride.

Same as I do. My grill is on my deck and I just pull it close to my sliding door and grill outside from inside.

It's not that hard. :nerd:

Bubba

Cyburbian

View attachment 50781
I move my grill inside the screened porch if it's raining hard or lightening is in the area - otherwise get over it and grill outdoors as the good lawd intended.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I move my grill inside the screened porch if it's raining hard or lightening is in the area - otherwise get over it and grill outdoors as the good lawd intended.

This.

I was standing in 15" of snow the other night to drink a couple beers and grill some burgers and sausages for dinner. It was 8º and I felt perfectly fine grilling that way.

FWIW though, if I had a bit more space in my garage, I'd wheel the grill into there in the winter so I could open the garage door and just wheel the grill into the driveway if I wanted to use it that time of year.