• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Some Questions about Schooling

stc888

Hi everyone, i'm a newbie on these forums, but had a few questions... i'd greatly appreciate it if maybe u guys could help me out on.

1.) Right now i'm going to a community college in Oregon, with plans to transfer to the PSU (Portland State Univ.) Community Development program, and hopefully work toward an MURP-Transportation concentration down the road.

Anyhow, right now I need to take a science course "with lab" for my BS, and i can take any one i want, but wanted to know if there was a specific one i should look at that might help with the planning (and specifically transportation planning) field?

I'm assuming Biology and Chem can get ruled out, but what about Physics? or Geology?

2.) Any other non science courses that are recommended? basically i've also completed all of my other BS requirements, so the rest are elective credits of my choice, but being that i still have to apply to the Urban Planning school, i want to make my transcript look applicable toward the field. I've signed up for a class in GIS, Oregon building codes, Sociology, Macro/Micro Economics and Local Government. anything i'm missing or should look into?

Thanks!

- Steve

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
IMHO
1. Geology - Physical or Landforms or Hydrology
2. Looks like you are on track
suggest taking enough geography to get at least a minor.
but this is from long ago geography major.

stc888

Hey thanks JNA! I appreciate the tip. I didnt even really think about a minor in geography, but thats something i'm definately going to take a look at now. Thanks again!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Why rule out biology or chemistry? Planners often have to deal with environmental isues, so these sciences can be a useful background. That said, as another geography degree-holder, I'd advise you to look closely at that.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
The environmental stuff can help you out. It is one more interconnection that it helps to understand when doing planning. My undergrad degree is in Wildlife Biology.

Jen

Cyburbian
I would definitely recommend extra natural science courses, at least a survey course covering flora, fauna and soils, hydrology , especially since as a transportation planner knowledge of minimizing impacts to the natural environment is important.

The One

Cyburbian
Computer Programming

You might consider taking at least on Computer Programming Language. This was one of the best decisions I made at undergraduate school. It has helped with all things computers since then....Visual Basic/C++ type stuff.......