• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Song Conspiracy Theories

Big Owl

Cyburbian
This morning's topic of discussion that my 14 old daughter and I had on the way to drop her off at school was the conspiracy theory that has been circulating the internet that Jessie's Girl and Stacey's mom are the same person and her number is 867-5309. My daughter pointed out that the video for Fountains of Wayne's Stacey's Mom had a car that had the vanity plate that read "I ♥ RIC" and she felt that that tied it back to Rick Springfield's Jessie's Girl. Personally, I thought that ties it back to My Best Friend's Girl by the Cars, as the song was written by band member Ric Ocasek because Ric instead of Rick. Which, thanks to google, I found out that Fountain of Wayne asked Ric Osasek to be in the video for Stacey's Mom; however, he declined.

It's fun to think of all the random ways that these songs could be related and how one could be convinced that the conspiracy runs deeper than Jessie's Girl, Stacey's Mom, and Jenny/867-5309. One could argue that it's very possible that David Allen Coe might be Stacey's brother and Jenny is his mother who got run over by a damned old train as documented in his song "You Never Even Called Me by My Name".

What song theories does the throbbing brain have, Jenny related or not?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There was a religious zealot kinda guy I went to high school with that spent a great deal of time and energy trying to convince me that satanic backwards masking was a thing in popular music. Anywho, he was convinced Robert Palmer's song "Doctor Doctor Give Me the News" was about Satan. The way he explained it to me was "who do you suppose the DOCTOR is? Listen to the lyrics: 'doctor doctor give me the news I got a bad case of loving you. no pill is going to cure my ills. I got a baad case if loving you...." This makes perfect sense if you think of the doctor as being Satan.

I wasn't particularly convinced then, but didn't feel like getting sucked in to a protracted debate with the imbecile and just kind of nodded my head and said 'huh' Do you suppose he was right?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We all know You're So Vain is a mystery as to who it is about. But when you sing you probably think this song is about you. Then the song is definitely about you. Who else would it be about.
Well, actually Carly Simon has said that it's about three different men. One being Warren Beatty. The other two remaining unnamed at this point. She herself confirmed that a few years ago.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Well, actually Carly Simon has said that it's about three different men. One being Warren Beatty. The other two remaining unnamed at this point. She herself confirmed that a few years ago.
I heard it was about James Taylor

Planit

Cyburbian
Sync Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon & The Wizard of Oz...

The Dark Side of the Rainbow.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We all know You're So Vain is a mystery as to who it is about. But when you sing you probably think this song is about you. Then the song is definitely about you. Who else would it be about.
Similar stuff, but that song by Alanis Morissette "You Oughta Know" has always been rumored to be about Dave Coulier (yes, Joey from Full House....). The other rumor is that it's possibly about Matt LeBlanc (oddly enough, Joey from Friends).

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
I love all that backward masking tripped-out paranoia. Play Highway to Heaven backwards, and you get My Sweet Satan. I have the 80s cassette tape and associated book from evangelical Jacob Aranza. Classic stuff!