• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

songs NOT to plan by

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Okay, we've covered the music that we love, now what about those damned sonds that get stuck in your head and drive you crazy?

How's this:

*I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key...*

Tom R

Cyburbian
tune-outs

Anything by Kenny G, Yanni or anything remotely sounding like disco.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Right now I have that Limp Bizkit "Nookie" song in my head...and I can't stand them.

"I did it all for the nookie, the nookie, come on
so you can take the cookie and stick it up your..."

I also listen to the Tony Kornheiser show and he has this dumb "Tony's Mail Bag" song that he plays at the end of his show and every day when I hear it, it sticks in my head for a good 1/2 hour.

"Here comes tony's mail bag, got your e-mails, faxes, and your notes.
Here comes tony's mail bag, gonna read some for all of you folks."

I have that "She F***ing Hates Me.... la la la la la" song stuck in my head. i don't know who sings it, but its on the Rules of Attraction trailer.

Songs that I hate: most men country singers.... they are just way too smarmy and seemingly insincere.

All of the hip hop/rap songs put out by Murder Inc. but i did like Jimmy Fallon's rendition of Hot in Here at the music awards.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Any Kylie Minogue song. Oh yeah... and that Sheryl Crow song about soaking up the sun. ewwwwww.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I have the "thong song" going in my head and its driving me crazy!

but fitting to our earlier posts

Anything by Creed, Kenny G, Enya or any other new-age artist. Also, anything that's in heavy rotation on the radio, a la Top 40 pop, ESPECIALLY songs by the "Brunnette Brigade" (aka Anti-Britneys) Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton. I agree with Kelly on the Murder Inc music. All of their music is first place crap - an aberration of hip hop music.

Habanero

Cyburbian
thong tha thong thong thong?

Oh yeah, hate that.. and "Stupid Girl". I never liked that song.

"Hot in here"- ick, I heard that a gazillion times on the drive from TX to AZ.

the Avril Lavene song- and all the techno remakes- blargh-

Oh, and the coconut song..

I've got a love-e-ly bunch of coconuts. deddle de dee-

el Guapo

Capitalist
Ha, I piss on your boots TranPlanner!

Canadian Music like Helen Ready, Celine Dion and on and on.

However, they do get points for Rush and BNL. Thanks, Eh!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Ha, I piss on your boots TranPlanner!

El Guapo said:
Canadian Music like Helen Ready, Celine Dion, Alinis (I uckin nuts) and on and on.

However, they do get points for Rush and BNL. Thanks, Eh!
Three words... Crash Test Dummies.

el Guapo

Capitalist
More

I wish there was a way to blame Debbie Gibson and Amy Grant on Canada!

nerudite

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
No, but we sure can blame Celiene "whale-calling" Dion on them! ha ha ha!

:)
Of course, I detest Celine. But I still don't find her voice as bad as Mariah "I sing in a range only dogs can hear" Carey. She has the same effect of ambulance sirens to my friend's dogs.

If you ever want to hear a little retribution on Celine... try listening to another Canadian band called the Arrogant Worms. They do a funny song about stalking Celine... it has a lot of underhanded digs.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm not wearing any boots...

Helen Reddy's Canadian? I had no idea.

Embarrasing fact#1:

As a very young kid, I used to like listening to my mum's Helen Reddy LP... "I am woman hear me roar"!

Tom R

Cyburbian
I'd die first music.

I forgot - Michael Bolton (memory loss has its advantages).

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: I'm not wearing any boots...

Tranplanner said:
Helen Reddy's Canadian? I had no idea.

Embarrasing fact#1:

As a very young kid, I used to like listening to my mum's Helen Reddy LP... "I am woman hear me roar"!
My secret shame is the Neil Diamond Double Live Ablum - Singing Gypsy Rose at the top of your voice is wrong for any young man. Perhaps that explains things.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Comoserate with me, El Guapo

I confress to listening to Mom's Bobby Vinton polka LP's

My poor little brother -as kids we made up dance routines, most notably to Barry Manilow's Copa Cobana. And my grandmother wonders why he's gay.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Not Music But.....

Those annoying Howard Stern wannabe's Don & Mike.

I can not stand them.

Tom R

Cyburbian
tunes

Add Manalow....definately add Manalow and bubble gum (or head) Britney too.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Comoserate with me, El Guapo

bturk said:
I confress to listening to Mom's Bobby Vinton polka LP's
I can listen to Hank Williams (Sr.). so I don't point fingers. Just don't ask me to watch the Lawrence Welk reruns on PBS.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Comoserate with me, El Guapo

Tom R said:

I can listen to Hank Williams (Sr.). so I don't point fingers. Just don't ask me to watch the Lawrence Welk reruns on PBS.
And I thought Milwaukee was the only place they aired Lawrence Welk reruns. Do you also have a radio station that plays polka music? There are worse things to plan by.

Re: Not Music But.....

Mike DeVuono said:
Those annoying Howard Stern wannabe's Don & Mike.

I can not stand them.
I think Don and Mike should be on my guilty pleasure list. Rob and I actually went through withdrawal after moving to a non-Don and Mike city. On our ride home from work, we would turn to each other and say "I wonder what Don and Mike are doing right now?" sigh.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Comoserate with me, El Guapo

Michael Stumpf said:

And I thought Milwaukee was the only place they aired Lawrence Welk reruns. Do you also have a radio station that plays polka music? There are worse things to plan by.
There are a couple of them that play some kind of slavic music part of the time. Even the announcers speak whatever. Easy listening is also bad along with new wave. I remember a Far Side cartoon showing a man listening to new wave "music". The caption was "Charlie Parker in Hell."

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
For our French speaking friends...

A song NOT to plan by:

Artist: In Grid

Title: Tu Es Foutu

Look it up on Kazaa Lite, then grad a French to English Dictionary... ;)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Can't stand boy bands, they are just as bad as the girl bubble-gum bands/singers. Argh, their songs really get stuck in your head. Like in the movie Josie and the Pussycats, there must be a machine that embeds subliminal message tracts on the songs and that is why we feel inclined to keep singing the songs over and over in our head or buy stupid trendy things we don't need.

Must agree that Michael Bolton is really bad to have trapped in your head. Just thinking about this subject, I now have awful songs popping up in my head. Mariah Carey too. Plus that song that the umpaloompas (?) sing in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
Plus that song that the umpaloompas (?) sing in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
Just so you know, I was an Oompaloompa in my school's production of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (the book, renamed "Willie Wonka..." for the movie. I am proud of that!

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
For me:

Barracuda by Heart?

More than a Feeling, Boston

Money, Pink Floyd

I guess any "Classic" Rock from the 70's and 80's

I'll share. I grew up in the Hudson Valley of NY and there is (was?) this Classic Rock Station called WPDH and its moniker was "The Home of Rock and Roll"

Makes my head explode.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Just so you know, I was an Oompaloompa in my school's production of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (the book, renamed "Willie Wonka..." for the movie. I am proud of that!
NO, you are a munchkin not an Oompaloompa. Those things scare me, I can't watch that movie because of those icky creatures. Plus, that song is so hideous and it gets stuck in your head!

I want to drive nails into my head everytime the kid rock/sheryl crow song comes on the radio. way too over played.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
I want to drive nails into my head everytime the kid rock/sheryl crow song comes on the radio. way too over played.
AMEN!!!

That has to be one of the worst songs on the radio, period. I also can't stand to hear Creed or Puddle of Crap.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
True, true Sister! I do too.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Not to mention the fact that neither of the "singers" is in anything remotely resembling a key. That song is truly horrible!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I want to see what would happen if you took a planner right out of grad school and made him listen to nothing but Rage Against the Machine for weeks while he developed a comprehensive plan for a large city like LA or Detroit.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Sometimes I like listening to rap and punk when I work, the only problem is 1) the lyrics are laden with naughty words, and 2) when someone comes into my office and hears rap or punk music they look at me like I am crazy. Yes indeed, I work with a bunch of stiffs.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the draftsman whose office is across the hall from mine likes to listen to Enya once every blue moon. Sometimes I want to go over there and smash his computer into little pieces.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I'm not sure if I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the draftsman whose office is across the hall from mine likes to listen to Enya once every blue moon. Sometimes I want to go over there and smash his computer into little pieces.
The guy across from me blares the "lite rock" station daily. I think Celine & Mariah have a far more detrimental effect on sanity than does Rage Against the Machine.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
At my former place of employment I had a supervisor who listened to that horrible "smooth jazz" like Kenny G and it drove me nuts when I had to go into his office and hear that crap.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I get some funny looks around here because I like to listen to classical, jazz or NPR while 'm working. I'll admit I'm a classcial music geek. :)

At home it can be any sort of indie rock, punk, hip hop or folk - but I think there's nothing like classical music to set a pleasant atmosphere, relax me, spur creativity and drown out others' typing and chatter.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I want to see what would happen if you took a planner right out of grad school and made him listen to nothing but Rage Against the Machine for weeks while he developed a comprehensive plan for a large city like LA or Detroit.
Here's the new plan, sir, it's called "killing in the name of.."

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I'm not planning yet but I could imagine I would go crazy listening to country music while working. In fact, country music anytime....I'd rather hear nails on a chalkboard.