• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Songs that shouldn't be re-made

Habanero

Cyburbian
I was watching the Today show this morning and Mariah Hoochie Carey has re-made "Bringin' on the Heartbreak" by Def Leppard. That's just wrong, and not only that, it's an awful sleepy time song now.

So, which songs do you think should not be remade?

SGB

Cyburbian
I heard a bluegrass cover of AC/DC's "Shook Me All Night Long" on radio paradise the other day.

The only way to describe it is disturbing.

biscuit

Cyburbian
SGB said:
I heard a bluegrass cover of AC/DC's "Shook Me All Night Long" on radio paradise the other day.

The only way to describe it is disturbing.
That was done by the amazing Hayseed/Dixie. They have a couple of albulms of bluegrass covers of rock songs. I don't know if they did it but, one of my favorites is the bluegrass version of "Gin & Juice"

Hell Yeah, boiiiiii!!!

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana" sung by Diana Krall in her sexy, come-hither voice. That would suck!

Can I include entire band's catalogs?

Please, oh please, dear lord...

Smite those that wish to do covers of anything Led Zep, AC/DC or Aerosmith, or any genetically engineered boy/girl bands, anything that is purely designed as a marketing ploy and not on talent.

I am so sick of hearing the same keeeeerapppp over and over again, I don't care WHO does it :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I would have said "Papa don't preach"... but too late on that! Ewww.

I think almost any remake can be fun, if it's done by Reel Big Fish. There version of Take on Me and some of the Duran Duran songs are hilarious. :)

donk

Cyburbian
Slightly off topic, but someone mentioned bluegrass remakes....

Luther Right and the Wrongs recently remade Pink Floyd's "The Wall" with a blue grass/country feel. Great album.

As for Def Leppard remakes, they sucked the first time round, remakes can't help but be better or as bad as the originals.

I have heard the Dolly Parton "Stairway to Heaven" remake and rather enjoyed it, partly for the humour of it and partly for her voice. A local radio show did a series of Stairway to Heaven covers.

SGB

Cyburbian
donk said:
I have heard the Dolly Parton "Stairway to Heaven" remake and rather enjoyed it, partly for the humour of it and partly for her voice. A local radio show did a series of Stairway to Heaven covers.
I heard a radio interview with Dolly Parton recently, and IIRC she said that Robert Plant even liked her cover of Stairway.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Aerosmith's "Dream On". Eminim absolutly butchered it by sampleing the whole song in "Sing for the Years"

One cover that I really, really like and IMO maybe better than the original is The Sundays version of "Wild Horses"

Madonna already blew out my ear drum with the American Pie remake. I also particularly hate that Don Henley pop remake.

Tom R

Cyburbian
fwm

RichmondJake said:
Anything by Fleetwood Mac....
Most of the '70 vintage Fleetwood Mac are over produced and over played. On song of the era I still like is Never Going Back Again, mainly because it is mainly Lindsey Buckingham.

Now, Fleetwood Mac is really two bands. The original was a blues band and did some cool stuff. The only thing the two bands had in common are the names and Mick Fleetwood.

prudence

Cyburbian
Don't Dream It's Over by Corwded House.

Neil Finn is an incredible songwriter, and a fluke band destroyed his legacy.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
One of the strangest is the cover of Dokken's "Alone Again" by a teen pop girl-band. I’ve heard lots of bad covers of Neil Young songs where people turn them into glossy pop or light jazz songs. There's also a string quartet called "Apocalyptica" which only does Metallica songs as chamber music.

My favorite cover artist is Richard Cheese, who does metal and rap songs in a lounge lizard style.

Tom R

Cyburbian
yeech

Has anyone ever heard the William Shatner or Leonard Nemoy songs. Trust me, don't try this after eating.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Madonna already blew out my ear drum with the American Pie remake. I also particularly hate that Don Henley pop remake.
When I heard the Don Henly remake I felt old- it's techno crap!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
My favorite cover artist is Richard Cheese, who does metal and rap songs in a lounge lizard style.
Richard Cheese is hilarious! I love his remakes of Sublime songs. :)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Johhny Cash doing a Nine Inch Nails cover of "Hurt"

TERRIBLE.

On another note, I listen to Radio Paradise all the time. I love it. (Surprisingly my dad introduced me to it....never thought I'd have the same taste in music as him....)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hotrod"

Don't mess with perfection, baby!

SGB

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
Johhny Cash doing a Nine Inch Nails cover of "Hurt"

TERRIBLE.
I've never heard the original, but I love the Johnny Cash version. He's got the power and emotion of the ages in his voice that the youngsters won't understand or appreciate for another 50 years.

donk

Cyburbian
Just heard a remake of Men at Work's "who can it be now", as sung from a females perspective, missed the artist, but it was pretty bad.

Other songs that we don't need a remake of are New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle or Blue Monday. They were perfect the first time around.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
"Because the Night" by Patti Smith (co-written by Bruce Springsteen). The Natalie Merchant cover was so lame, yet it's the one you hear most often on the radio.

I agree completely with SGB on the Johnny Cash cover of "Hurt." Beautiful.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Glen Campbell -

"Like a Rhinestone Cowboy"

or how about

"I am a lineman for the county..."

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Guess I will never understand then.....I can't stand it. Trent Reznor does it just a wee bit better. Age and experience don't make everything better.

Jesus Built My Hotrod is a GREAT song!!! I haven't listened to it in a while, and now that you mention it, I miss it. The void in my life must be filled ....(attempts to download)...

oulevin

Cyburbian
I have always been perturbed that Bette Midler's popification of "Hero" got more airplay and recognition than the more soulful James Ingram version.

People should just leave Stevie Wonder's songs alone!!!!!!

If I hear another version of Run DMC and Aerosmith's "Walk This Way," I'll scream for sure!!

I think Rod Stewart's last CD was full of covers.....listening to that should be as painful as listing to a Michael Bolton original.....speaking of which, will someone put HIM out of his misery????

Both Celine Dion and Christina Aguilera desecrated Etta James' "At Last."

SGB

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I feel that way about most SW covers, but you have to admit that Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of "Superstition" rocks.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Last night I heard a bad crunchy nu-metal-goth wanna-be guitar cover of Portishead's trip-hop "Sour Times" on the local alt-rock station. It sucked in ways I haven't heard sucking before.

donk

Cyburbian
Originally posted by Planderella

RHCP version of "Higher Ground" was pretty good too.

Can't see anyone doing "Sir Duke" any better though.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Nobody should cover any song by Nirvana, EVER. Same with Fugazi, Bad Religion, Radiohead, the Stone Roses, or the Pixies. Ok, so I am listing bands that I really like, so I am being selfish. Oh, I also hate that Orgy remake of New Order's Blue Monday. Totally horrible.

There are some cases where I think that the cover is better than the original too. 7 Seconds version of 99 Red Balloons is way better than Nena's and the Ramones cover of "Do You Wanna Dance" is classic.

Repo Man said:
. Oh, I also hate that Orgy remake of New Order's Blue Monday. Totally horrible.
By mistake, I downloaded that Kylie Minogue song "Can't Get You Out of My Head." When I played it back, it was a live version using the music from "Blue Monday."

Here's a couple more songs that shouldn't have been re-made:

The Counting Crows' remake of Joni Mitchell's "Yellow Taxi."
Uncle Kracker's remake of Dobie Gill's (I think that's his name) "Drift Away."

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Songs that shouldn't be remade:

Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - one version of this song is more than enough.

We are the World - done by today’s biggest pop stars this song would be even more annoying than it was 20 years ago. Picture all the Christina Aguillera-types extending the high notes.

Candle in the Wind – Elton John has already covered it enough himself.

Also, Why Don't We Do It In the Road by the Beatles (I can picture the Shakira video now)

Most classic rock stars still around today amount to poor covers of their former selves.

Another existing bad cover:

Faith by Limp Bizkit - Do you really need to show off that you sound tougher than George Michael?

Tom R

Cyburbian
taxi

The Counting Crows' remake of Joni Mitchell's "Yellow Taxi."

Actually, Joni covered "Big Yellow Taxi", written by Bob Dylan.

Best cover song? I have to go with Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" , also by Dylan. Followed closely by his cover of "Hey Joe."