• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Songs you knew would end up in commercials the first time you heard them

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Blur - Song Two. When I first heard it, I didn't know which band was responsible, or what the title was. All I knew was that the "Woo-Hoo Song," as many called it, would probably end up accompanying an SUV commercial someday. Sure enough, six months later, I heard the song in an SUV commercial, and a commercial for a ski resort.

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away. Just like "Song Two," when I first heard it, I immediately thought "that was definitely written to have the rights acquired for an SUV commercial." Yup ... heard it in a commercial for Xterras or 4Runners or something similar a short while after it made the charts. Like "Song Two," this song also accompanied commercials for some ski area in Colorado.

BKM

Cyburbian
Black Sabbath Song

Since getting stuch driving behind the typical Cadillac owner makes one curse and call for the devil, that would be very appropriate, EG.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
"Get this Party Started" by Pink. I've lost track of how many commercials I've heard use it.

green lizard

Talk about commercilizing songs...
What about what M. Jackson did after
He bought the Beatles catalog?

Habanero

Cyburbian
Geggy Tah's "Driving in my Car"- as soon as I heard it nearly 5 years ago and then it's in a Mercedes commercial.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think that Moby licensed every single song off of "Play" If you listen to the CD the whole thing sounds like a commercial. I guess he didn't like that, so on "18" he wouldn't license any of them.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Joplin doing "Oh Lord wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz" only took 30-some years, but it was in an M-Class commercial a few years ago.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I think Pete Townsend must need help paying off his legal fees because Who songs are everywhere now, from CSI Miami, movies, car commercials and allergy medication commercials. Didn't the Who mock this sort of thing over 30 years ago with the "Who Sell Out" album cover?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
"Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve. You've all heard it, it kind of rips off a awesome Rolling Stones intro.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Wolf in Commercials

My favorite classic rock group---Steppenwolf---somehow gets basic tunes like Born to Be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride into commercials through the decades, for the past 35 years.
Also lesser known songs of theirs like Rock Me.
John Kay said in an interview one time that at any given time, Born to Be Wild was playing somewhere in the world.
Talk about globalization. He didn't seem to mind that the song is in commercials ---welcomed it.
And he has written and performed songs like "The Endless Commercial." Have it both ways?
Get your motors running.
Earl

nerudite

Cyburbian
Bohemian Like You -- Dandy Worhols I still like it, even though I've heard it way too much in those car commercials.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Katrina and the Waves----a great group--at least for Walking on Sunshine. And commercials.
Going way back, I remember a commercial that used "West Side Story" music-overture---I think it was a deodorant.
Can anyone help me out here? Jets forever!!!!
Sharks too!!!!!!!!
Earl