• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sorry African Americans - There is a new majority-minority.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, or naive, but what exactly is the definition of "hispanic." Is it a person from or decended from any country in Central and South America, and since there are european hispanics, black hispanics, native indians and persons of mixed background in the region how exactly does that have bearing on race? To me "hispanic" seems to be more of a cultural designation as opposed to a racial one.
 

H

Cyburbian
Messages
2,850
Points
24
biscuit said:
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, or naive, but what exactly is the definition of "hispanic." Is it a person from or decended from any country in Central and South America, and since there are european hispanics, black hispanics, native indians and persons of mixed background in the region how exactly does that have bearing on race? To me "hispanic" seems to be more of a cultural designation as opposed to a racial one.



I might be ignorant as well, but you make a very valid point. There are many black hispanics in Miami and I am not sure how they filled out the census.?
 

SGB

Cyburbian
Messages
3,388
Points
26
biscuit said:
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, or naive, but what exactly is the definition of "hispanic." Is it a person from or decended from any country in Central and South America, and since there are european hispanics, black hispanics, native indians and persons of mixed background in the region how exactly does that have bearing on race? To me "hispanic" seems to be more of a cultural designation as opposed to a racial one.

Here's the definition of "hispanic" from the U.S. Census Bureau.
 

H

Cyburbian
Messages
2,850
Points
24
SGB said:
Here's the definition of "hispanic" from the U.S. Census Bureau.

It states ancestry not race; that is clear. However we really don’t know how people filled it out. It would probably depend on how many generations removed from immigration one is. Two or three generations down the line, the grandkids might fill the census out as only Caucasian or Black and Hispanic could drop (or rise).

My Great Grandmother immigrated from Deutschland but I don’t consider myself connected to that culture at all, although I will eat up a pot of kraut! ;)
 

Tom R

Cyburbian
Messages
2,274
Points
25
kraut

My Great Grandmother immigrated from Deutschland but I don’t consider myself connected to that culture at all, although I will eat up a pot of kraut! ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, I made a 5 gallon crock full last year and added a handful of cayanne peppers. It'l tickle your innards. (While typing this I found out how close in spelling crock and crotch are. I'm glad I cought the mistake.)
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
18,816
Points
69
My question ... most Hispanics are Caucasian. Why give them their own category in the Census? Why not Caucasian ethnic groups with similar pigmentation and a higher degree of cultural insularity than the norm, such as Italian-Americans and Arab-Americans? Are Portuguese-Americans Hispanic?
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,233
Points
52
I am Irish... Where is my minority classification? Living in a city that Hispanics are becoming the majority, although there may be distinctive cultural differences, we are all the same. (well, I don't speak Spanish, YET)
 

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Messages
1,046
Points
24
I think you guys have hit the point: why does it matter? If we are looking for a truely race neutral society, why are we keeping score via the census?

I for one never check the "race" box, on the census or in job or credit applications. For me, it simply is not relevant.
 
Messages
3,690
Points
27
There was a very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday or today about how France's immigrants are expected to assimmilate and become just "French". They don't keep track of race or ethnicity at all.
 

Tom R

Cyburbian
Messages
2,274
Points
25
minorities

michaelskis said:
I am Irish... Where is my minority classification? Living in a city that Hispanics are becoming the majority, although there may be distinctive cultural differences, we are all the same. (well, I don't speak Spanish, YET)

My understanding is that there remain a lot of Spanish sur names in Ireland from when Spanish Armada ships wrecked there after the botched invasion of England. If one of these individuals emigrated to the US, would the person be Irish or Hispanic? Curious.
 

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Messages
4,853
Points
26
This is funny.. I would be considered as Hispanic in the US, personally I don't fill in that group so well, I prefer Human. :D

I have like 75% german ancesters and the 25% left is Spanish...so that's why I don't feel Hispanic. Plus, culturally I'm quite near the regular American (with an obvious blend with Chilean Culture) but you wouldn't find me talking like an American-Mexican or American-Cuban :p
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,995
Points
31
SkeLeton said:
This is funny.. I would be considered as Hispanic in the US, personally I don't fill in that group so well, I prefer Human. :D

I have like 75% german ancesters and the 25% left is Spanish...so that's why I don't feel Hispanic. Plus, culturally I'm quite near the regular American (with an obvious blend with Chilean Culture) but you wouldn't find me talking like an American-Mexican or American-Cuban :p

I like to think of you as my little spunky buddy whose toilet spins the wrong way :)
 

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Messages
4,853
Points
26
I like to think of you as my little spunky buddy whose toilet spins the wrong way
ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D
hahahah good one ;)

It's a shame, and is quite ironic that Americans are becoming a minority :p Oh well, it's the cost of diversity, and freedom ;) :)
 

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Messages
4,898
Points
27
Dan said:
My question ... most Hispanics are Caucasian. Why give them their own category in the Census? Why not Caucasian ethnic groups with similar pigmentation and a higher degree of cultural insularity than the norm, such as Italian-Americans and Arab-Americans? Are Portuguese-Americans Hispanic?


I don't agree that most Hispanics are Caucasian. Many Hispanics from central America, for example, have Native American ancestry. And Puerto Ricans quite often have a mix of white, black, and Native American ancestors. The Hispanic designation is all "self-designated" according to the Census Bureau. It really depends on how multi-racial people identify themselves.

Is Jewish, or Italian-American, an ethnic origin? I don't know how you'd answer that -- but we advise our clients that when CDBG reporting forms request a breakdown of beneficiaries by race and ethnic origin, the latter refers only to Hispanic.
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,995
Points
31
SkeLeton said:
ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D
hahahah good one ;)

It's a shame, and is quite ironic that Americans are becoming a minority :p Oh well, it's the cost of diversity, and freedom ;) :)

I must rush to defend my ethnic brothers and sisters. We are all Americans here. It is just caucasians that have a declining birth rate. Once the our nation's minority population experience the same economic conditions it wil happen to them as well. And another ethinc group will fill the growth gap.
 

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Messages
216
Points
9
biscuit said:
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, or naive, but what exactly is the definition of "hispanic." Is it a person from or decended from any country in Central and South America, and since there are european hispanics, black hispanics, native indians and persons of mixed background in the region how exactly does that have bearing on race? To me "hispanic" seems to be more of a cultural designation as opposed to a racial one.

that's how the Census Bureau looks at it as well..they look at Hispanics as an ethnic group. they can be of any race.
 
Top