• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Spalding Gray missing

otterpop

Cyburbian
Spalding Gray "The Talking Man" has been missing for almost a week. It is presumed that he may be dead, most likely a suicide. I've so enjoyed his monologues. He was a wonderful, witty, and insightful speaker. I attended a live performance of "It's a Slippery Slope" and it was fabulous. "Swimming to Cambodia," "Gray's Anatomy" and "Monster in the Box" were some of his other monologues. He held an audience's attention without the benefits of special effects, car crashes, or gunfire. All he needed was his words and gestures. Seated at a desk with a pitcher of water, a glass and his spiral notebook, he would spin fabulous tales.

I hope he will return, but it seems most unlikely. He is gone and we've lost one of the most entertaining writers and speakers.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yeah, I saw that he was missing a few days ago. I hope he's okay... he's one of my favorite entertainers. :(

otterpop

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Wow... just heard that he's dead. He was one of the most talented performance artists/comedians IMO and I'm really bummed he's gone. :(
I am really bummed too. I really enjoyed his movies. So glad I got the chance to see him in person. I know he was suffering mentally and physically since his car accident. I hope he is in a better place now. Rest in peace, Spuddy.

Last edited by a moderator: