• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Speaking of the 80's...

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
In honor of bturks badge photo - I think out next project should be to post a picture(s) of ourselves that best exemplifies the 80's. Who wants to go first?

((I have to get some from home, but would be happy to start us off))

el Guapo

Capitalist
Members Only - Please

Groucho Marx once said, “I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.” Maybe he would have changed his mind if he could’ve been a part of the cool jacket club called ‘Members Only.’

Owning a Members Only jacket promised entrance into the exclusive clique that even Groucho would have clamored to be a part of. Ultra cool, the Members Only jacket was a collarless jacket with ribbed knit cuffs. They came in a selection of fashion colors—from teal blue to red—but black was generally considered the coolest.

These cotton, casual, windbreaker-style jackets were popularized when David Hasselhoff of Knight Rider sported his leather version, and Ricky Schroeder of Silver Spoons strutted around in his rainbow selection, a different color every day.

The cool thing about the collarless jacket was that the collar of your Izod polo didn’t have to compete when it was flipped up, and the ribbed cuffs guaranteed that your sleeves wouldn’t fall down after you pushed them up to the mid-forearm, which was essential if you wanted to fit in. Just having a Members Only wasn’t enough—you needed to know the cool way to wear it.

Members Only manufactured many different styles of jackets, from leather bomber jackets to ladies athletic jackets, but the colorful, cotton, collarless style will always be remembered as the quintessential Members Only style.

El Guapo - owned 3

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
HEE! I'll have to post my college graduation picture (May 1990 was still technically the '80s to me). Poofy blond hair and GIANT tortoise shell glasses. I looked alot like Peter Scolari from "Newhart".

nerudite

Cyburbian
If we do this, I have the perfect picture. I was a tomboyish type through most of my youth, but my mom got her mitts on me for prom... and my god, if I wasn't the most 80s fru-fru sight...

We had a theme bulletin board at work at my last job, and one theme was bring in your prom photo... let's just say that my new nickname was "the material girl" after that one. I'll try to give you all warning before I post it so you don't snork coffee onto your screen from all the laughter.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Did anyone watch "I love the 80s" on VH1 last night? i stayed up well past when I should've, but it was great! :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
One of the nice things about working in a small town is that it is so easy to go home for lunch. Hmmmm. Me in the 80's. It's kinda scary. Except for a couple gray hairs and ten pounds, I have't changed much.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I don't have much from the 80's . My high school pic from 1975 would be interesting though.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Here's a treat for you guys...Senior pic's - 1991 baby!! 80's enough for me! I made my mom scan the wallets she has in her office to email me.

**Please note the high(er) hair (it was pretty short, but as high as I could get it), huge dangly earrings, the Ked's, and most importantly, the pegged pants.

OK, don't leave me hanging...let's see some more :p

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SW MI Planner said:
OK, don't leave me hanging...let's see some more :p
I have to go dig my scrap books out of storage, but I'll definitely post the more "fashionable" ones!

BTW - I have two words for you Christine--- BIG HAIR

prudence

Cyburbian
Let me preface this by saying...

...this picture is not real. see bottom picture.

My friend Erin--a graphic designer--put these together for our whole group of friends. I have never had a mullet. In fact, my hair has been as long as it is for 15 years (see top picture). But she did a hell of a job...

This will only be posted for a short time, btw.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Let me preface this by saying...

TexasPlanner said:

ha ha, but we can still save it! :)
Yes, and us moderators can "close" the thread, preventing him from editing his post.

BEWWWWHHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
One of the nice things about working in a small town is that it is so easy to go home for lunch. Hmmmm. Me in the 80's. It's kinda scary. Except for a couple gray hairs and ten pounds, I have't changed much.
And convenient... you can use this for black tie week!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Re: Where's the holiday spirit...

prudence said:
But you'll hurt my feelings.
It's not an honor that I would save your picture? I would take up space on my hard drive for you?!?

I'm hurt, real hurt.

:(

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
BTW, from SW MI Planner, in case you got an error message.

Everybody Wang Chung tonight!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ick!

but thank god i dont have a scanner on the new puter so i cant put my 80's picture up. lets say my style has improved 110%

PG

prudence

Cyburbian
I am keeping a copy of the picture with the Sore Loserman verbiage...OUTSTANDING. Thanks, Dan.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Found! A real picture of SW MI Planner from the 1980s.