• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Speaking of urinals....

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I am so excited! What is this you say...excited 'bout a urinal???

((drum roll please))

Chad and I, along with a buttload (pun intented) of people, are going to the Trenary Annual Outhouse Races in the great ole UP of MI. It is the end of February, and there is about 15 of us going to stay in Marquette (where my sister lives) the whole weekend. Friday night we are going to the Up North Lodge for dinner and a flippen sleigh ride. Isn't that cool??? Only in the UP ay? Then, on Saturday, we are going to the races - our first time ever, and we are purty darn excited! We're not going to actually race them, just watch and drink lots to stay warm.

This is the entire town of Trenary (not including the steel structure fire hall and church shown in the next picture):

Fire hall, and Chad's favorite outhouse ((and probably Mikes too)):

Just had to share in my excitement......and show some of the hilljack/redneck side of myself :D

Around the end of February, I'll be knee deep into the Mardi Gras season, but that urinal festival sort of puts things into perspective for me. LOL :p

nerudite

Cyburbian
I think this weekend we are having concrete toboggan races. I have no idea what this is...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sure, you show a picture of downtown Trenary, but you left out their streetscape! Two banners, if I remember correctly.

There are some ice caves that form not far from there. If you get the chance you should make the trek to see them.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Wow, the things they will race. I've seen a bed race once, but that's about it. I've got to go find the good races-

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Sure, you show a picture of downtown Trenary, but you left out their streetscape! Two banners, if I remember correctly.

There are some ice caves that form not far from there. If you get the chance you should make the trek to see them.
Have you been there? Sorry, no pictures of the streetscapes - apparently I focused on the bars and the firestation. I'll take lots of pictures and post the clean ones ((hahaha)) when we get back. I'll ask my sister about the ice caves... that sounds cool too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I go to Pictured Rocks at least once a year, and have to pass through Trenary on the way to Munising. Have you been to the micro-brewery in Grand Marais?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Nope - haven't been that way in ages! We used to go to the UP every year for a week when we were little and we HATED it. We wanted to go somewhere "cool". Now, I would love to live up there - no. 1 to be closer to my sister, and no. 2 just because I love it up there.

Bucky alum

Ever been to the Apostle Islands

I love the U.P. and the Da Yoopers. When I was 10 or 11 I saw them in concern in Madison. They are great. Additionally, I have familiy in Bayfield and Washburn and have always wanted to sea kayak in the caves. I have walked along them in the winter but that is always a little nerve racking.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I'll try to get to see them - they look awesome! Where are they? How far from the Trenary/Marquette area? Definately will hit Lake Superior as my sister lives really close to Presque Isle - I love that place!

Pray for cold weather, because at this rate, we will be shat out of luck (pun intended again) for all winter activity. Actually, I think it's getting better though....