• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Special Use Permit question

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Our ordinance does not address this at all, so I am curious how this works.

Say you have a gas station/car wash on a piece of property. The car wash required a special use permit, which they received when the constructed about 5 years ago. Now they want to add on another car wash lane onto same property, which would require site plan approval. But, would they need to get *another* special use permit?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
How about just amending the previous permit? That's how it's been handled everywhere I've worked.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We would typically amend the prior permit.

EDIT: BTW, Welcome back :)

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Perhaps amend, but they should go through the same process. Right or wrong, the ordinance made this a special use, and now it desires to expand. The expansion could create issues that were inconsequential with a single bay.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I think it would depend.. how much is the expansion going to affect the site? If it's in substantial conformance and there were no stipulations regarding expansion not being allowable without re-application I would lean towards reviewing the site plan but allowing the use to continue.

Welcome back, how is your lovely little girl?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Like Chet said, we would handle this as an amendment to the original conditional use. It might get dicey, as the whole car wash could be reviewed, and we are stricter now than we were five years ago. It might end up costing them some better access, curbing, landscaping, etc.

Another "welcome back!" It seems we have several prodigals returning this week.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
Like Chet said, we would handle this as an amendment to the original conditional use. It might get dicey, as the whole car wash could be reviewed, and we are stricter now than we were five years ago. It might end up costing them some better access, curbing, landscaping, etc
---which is a great reason to handle it this way. Thanks for elaborating!

Budgie

Cyburbian
As has already been stated, we would review the existing permit. Within your code you may want to clarify the following:

When a change is minor enough to warrant only administrative review;
Is the entire use up for review or only reviewable within the context of the change;
What review standards or limitations must the reviewing body observe;
Does an amendment require an application fee; and
Clarify that violations of the original permit may warrant permit review.

One thing I've seen is mandatory permit review after a set period of time to address any unforseen nuisances or other situations that may occur. Keep in mind that things must be reasonable.