• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

[SPLIT] A New Way to Prepare for the AICP Exam

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I found that it helped to actually work in the field and have a few margaritas the night before the test. If you've worked in zoning, you're in! Without expensive study aids!

PlanningPrep

Actually last year's exams focus was mostly on ethics and behavior in a public planning department/environment. Margaritas would have been helpful though. By the way, this site is not very expensive, considering the alternatives . . .

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Sorry, I should have signed this: Zoning Goddess AICP. Actually, the gist of my advice is really don't sweat it, it's not as hard as anyone thinks it will be. -- AICP Class of '92 (working in the sticks, pregnant, taking two graduate classes an hour away, bowling one nite a week, if I could do it, anyone can...)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
While I have not sat for the AICP yet, I did get my CEcD three years ago. I spent about a half hour thumbing through some books the night before I got on the plane. I passed. Nothing will substitute for experience and common sense.

mhale

unfortunately, the AICP exam isn't all life experience. My advice to anyone preparing for this exam is to buy Michael Waiczis study guides and if you're in the Boston area - by all means, take MIT's prep course - its very good.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Discussion regarding the upcoming AICP exam should be posted in the Make No Small Plans subforum. The Kiosk is intended for announcements only, such as that made by the OP.

I'll split the thread later. In the meantime, it's closed.

Dan AICP.