• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

(Split Thread) Using Polls on Cyburbia

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mod hat on: Polls seem to be getting overused and passe. I dont think every discussion topic needs a poll. Discuss.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I agree with you Chet.

Polls actually suck, because they make the new post light come on, just by voting.

I say we should have a poll to poll our feelings on polls.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Mod hat on: Polls seem to be getting overused and passe. I dont think every discussion topic needs a poll. Discuss.
In my limited time here, there do deem to be alot of polls. Does that mean that they are overused? IMHO, no. It avoids some meaningful discussion. However, most people seem to post from work and it gives them a chance to weigh in on subjects quickly. As for passe, I think polls are forever chic. That being said I would agree that not every subject needs a poll, and I wish voting in polls didn't register as a new post.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
We sheet a poll summary sheet, to see how Cyburbanites feel on the hottest five subjects posted.

For instance on the Who Pays More Taxes? thread http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9222 the middle class is on top at 38.5%, while the rich and the poor are tied at 30.8% each.

On the Do well-designed homes double as fetish objects? thread http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9194 the question was asked "Why are we so obsessed with our homes?" Here are how Cyburbanites feel:

31.6% Aesthetics
26.3% We want our own Versailles, to be the king or queen or our little plots of dirt
15.8% To boost the value of our homes

On the City vs. City #4: Seaside, FL vs. Ford Heights, IL thread http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2122 Ford Heights wins at 58.3% and Seaside loses at 41.7%.

That kind of thing. We need an auto-summarizer

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Whats wrong with a poll? Polls are fun and indiscreet.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rumpy Tuna said:
Whats wrong with a poll? Polls are fun and indiscreet.
Yes RT, we know you have many indiscretions. ;)

[begin moderator brick to the head]

Perhaps thats my point. Many of us - especially moderators and lurkers - whom aid or view cyburbia from work for meaningful professional purposes. Lately, I have taken the tact to look at every thread I respond to and ask, "would my boss approve of this use of company time?"

Wanigas - as a result of that, I have not voted in nor followed any of the polls you mentioned. (sorry polls)

As a result, I have also scaled back - but not eliminated - my FAC participation to after hours and weekends. I know of several cyburbanites that feel the same way, several after IT scares that could have cost them dearly.

So friends, my point is, be wise, dont lose the colelctive sense of humor that has formed here, and dont ruin it for others.

[end moderator brick to the head]

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Polls actually suck, because they make the new post light come on, just by voting.
That's my only problem with polls... specially the old polls that get bumped back up just because someone voted...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm not much concerned about the number of polls or the topics they cover.Respond to them if you like, or ignore them. The annoying thing to me is when an old post gets revived because someone votes in it. These discussions went on months ago and came to a natural end. Polls can be made to time out, and I have lately set a closing date for every post in which I've included a poll. Maybe that needs to be a default?

H

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I am too tired to discuss, could just chose some limited options for me and put up a poll?

tsc

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Perhaps thats my point. Many of us - especially moderators and lurkers - whom aid or view cyburbia from work for meaningful professional purposes. Lately, I have taken the tact to look at every thread I respond to and ask, "would my boss approve of this use of company time?"

As a result, I have also scaled back - but not eliminated - my FAC participation to after hours and weekends. I know of several cyburbanites that feel the same way, several after IT scares that could have cost them dearly.
I strongly agree with you on this Chet... as of late... I have really cut down on my time during the work day.....especially in regards to FAC. I brushed upon this topic in another thread.

Some of the topics in FAC that are on front page under thread spotting really aren't appropriate from the professional prospective. I like coming to Cyburbia to get a quick check on the Planetizen newslines.. and see the boards... put my NY 2 cents in. But some of the images and lingo really isn't work/office appropriate... despite whether I find it humorous or not.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Chet said:
...several after IT scares that could have cost them dearly...
[paranoid chill of fear] Who got the poke? I hope no one got fired. [/paranoid chill of fear]

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wanigas? said:
[paranoid chill of fear] Who got the poke? I hope no one got fired. [/paranoid chill of fear]
Think about who changed their user names lately. I have been made aware that a number of us had issues.:)

Polls - I can live without them. I also hate it when old polls are revived when someone votes on them. Sometimes it's good to revive some discussions, while other times some discussions should just die and never come back - like Wal-Mart debates. As a mod, I'll close a poll depending on the timeliness of the subject matter.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
tsc said:
Some of the topics in FAC that are on front page under thread spotting really aren't appropriate from the professional prospective.
Yeah... if it were possible, the FAC threads could not appear in the Threadspotting in the main page... at least to hide the unprofessional side of Cyburbia :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planificador Urbano said:
I like the polls... its fast and fun.
Like a Hilton sister?

I don't really mind the polls. Although, I too have noticed their "overuse" as of late. My opinion reflects that of Cardinal. Vote if you like them, ignore them if you don't... Seems like a simple enough solution to me.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ugh... somebody just bumped like 5 polls from last year back on to the front page in the FAC!! How anoying!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Mike D. said:
Its all Xs Man.... they're everywhere.
The mods are trying to close the old polls to prevent them from being bumped again. The user that has been bumping them has been warned by PM.

In short....we're working on it.....