• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sports Illustrated's "Sportstown" designations

jestes

Cyburbian
My home - Petal, Mississippi was designated as a "Sportstown" in the recent announcement. The City Fathers (Our Mayor is a former major leaguer) really made a big deal out of it.

Supertall

Cyburbian
Yeah, for Indiana it is obviously Indianapolis and for Illinois it is obviously Chicago.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Supertall said:
Yeah, for Indiana it is obviously Indianapolis and for Illinois it is obviously Chicago.
I believe the criteria for the "Sportstown" designation had more to do with community recreation programs than it did with what teams played there.

In NH it was Lebanon, which has a killer local recreation and sports program.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Having been raised in Oklahoma, I checked the Sooner State. Was sadly diappointed to see that Tulsa was selected as the "Sportstown." I really doubt that the Golden Hurricanes draw the crowds and # of fans that the Oklahoma Sooners (Norman, OK) do. Only 2 of the top 50 athletes were from Tulsa. And OKC has the hockey and baseball, etc.

Now I live in south Florida and the "Sportstown" is Clearwater. Huh? Miami is not my favorite city in the world but it definitely has a strong athletic presence...Miami Hurricanes, Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat...you get the idea.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Floridays said:
Having been raised in Oklahoma, I checked the Sooner State. Was sadly diappointed to see that Tulsa was selected as the "Sportstown." I really doubt that the Golden Hurricanes draw the crowds and # of fans that the Oklahoma Sooners (Norman, OK) do. Only 2 of the top 50 athletes were from Tulsa. And OKC has the hockey and baseball, etc.

Now I live in south Florida and the "Sportstown" is Clearwater. Huh? Miami is not my favorite city in the world but it definitely has a strong athletic presence...Miami Hurricanes, Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat...you get the idea.
See my above reply.....the designation is more about local sports and rec programs than the teams that play there. :)

Floridays

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
See my above reply.....the designation is more about local sports and rec programs than the teams that play there. :)
Oops...thanks! (another blonde moment here). :-$
(but you interrupted the start of a really good rant) kidding!