• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Spring Break

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It is "Spring Break" week here and all the local schools are closed, many staff people have left for warmer climes, others are putzing around the house. It is, in a sense, a sacrosanct holiday for many as no one would think of scheduling meetings this week.

Some of us, alas, are working / slacking :-D

So, Cyburbia, do you have "spring break"? Discuss.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Spring Break for me will happen twice....once at APA in DC, the second in May at the NH Planners Assn spring conference at Waterville Valley (I organize the golf tournament. ;-) )

ludes98

Cyburbian
No. It is already 90F+ here in Phoenix. Many people do take off for a spring training game or two though.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Spring break was back in February, when Mrs. Tranplanner and I headed down to the Dominican Republic for a week. Last week was Spring Break for the schoolkids.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Gedunker said:
It is "Spring Break" week here and all the local schools are closed, many staff people have left for warmer climes, others are putzing around the house. It is, in a sense, a sacrosanct holiday for many as no one would think of scheduling meetings this week.

Some of us, alas, are working / slacking :-D
Same here except;
No Children = No Spring Break.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Last week there were some parents missing from the office during the public schools' break. My kid's school won't have spring break for another 2 weeks, but they offer "day care" instead of classes that week, so I'll keep on working and save my vacation for summer.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
This is a college town. The local schools schedule their breaks to coincide with the college. No one has any meetings. I like it.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
No break, we only meet once a month and I'm almost broke so I can't take off time from work. Its crunch time 8-! :eek:|

biscuit

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Last week was Spring Break for the schoolkids.
I was going to ask if last week was Spring Break in Canuckistan. I was driving south on I-79 a couple of weekends back and it seemed that every tenth vehicle on the road was either a minivan or motor home with Ontario plates. Does the entire province empty out to Myrtle Beach during the second week of March?

I never really got to do the Spring Break thing. During high school it was often during the week after Easter and my college's Spring Break was the last week of February - way too early to do things with people from other schools.

boiker

Cyburbian
I never had the cash to spring break in college. Money, while I was in college, was worth more than a road trip to the gulf coast.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Definitely alive and kickin here in south FL. (Even though Cancun seems to be the hot spot anymore...I think because the kids can drink legally even if they are under 21.) Apparently the County has discouraged a lot of "spring break" behavior on the beaches here, so I think students are headed more for Daytona Beach & Panama City. However, I have already seen news stories where kids are falling off hotel balconies, etc.

My favorite spring break was in Jamaica. How about yours? :cool:

Dragon

Cyburbian
I chose to join the spring breakers last weekend in New Orleans :b: :b: . My friend and I had a good time hanging out with the partying people down there. Then he had too much to drink :-# , and I had to drag him back to the car so we could go home |-) .

Last year, my birthday fell on Spring Break, so I had to do something :-D . I called my best friend, and we met at his family’s place in Florida. We had a great time. Universal Studios, and Island of Adventure were a great experience. So was snorkeling off the coast of Key West. I can’t wait to go back.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
What is this Spring Break of which you speak? ;-) Working here, no breaks, no kids, longer lines at Blockbuster. Sigh. Maybe I should have a kid so I'd have an excuse for a vacation...

SGB

Cyburbian
No spring break here, yet.

I'll be taking a few days off sometime within the next 2.5 weeks, though, when offspring #2 decides to make his/her presence known. :-D

Plannerbabs said:
What is this Spring Break of which you speak? ;-) Working here, no breaks, no kids, longer lines at Blockbuster. Sigh. Maybe I should have a kid so I'd have an excuse for a vacation...
Take from me, on behalf of all those who have kids: you ARE on vaction, every day. :-D

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
Take from me, on behalf of all those who have kids: you ARE on vacation, every day. :-D
Hear, hear, MZ. As the father of 2, I know no one could have said it better. :-D

Around these parts, it makes no difference whether you have or have not. Spring break is a rite, with the right to take time away from the office (as well as the school).

vaughan

Cyburbian
Last week was our spring break. I'm desperately trying to finish school and get a real job, so i spent the time pounding out my NINETY EIGHT PAGE thesis. I actually had to scale the walls and climb into the department computer lab through the second story bathroom window on both weekends, since the entire school was shut down saturdays and sundays. Four days is valuable time, though, so I figured I was breaking in or it simply wasn't getting done.