• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Spring Fever

H

Cyburbian
Living in FLA I should not get the Spring Fever because it only means that it is about to get H-O-T. But I got it. Got it bad. All I can seem to do as of late is listen to Jimmy Buffet, and other similar artists while dinking a beer or rum, and wishing I were in Mexico, Guatamala or somewhere (and the crazy part is that I am seriously thinking of going).

CPAs just arent as exciting as they use to be. :p

I am spending too much money and not enough time doing the things I outa.

Does anyone else have the Fever?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Since I am also in the Florida's-about-to-get-HOT situation, I am trying to plan a summer vacation (somewhere near water, of course), wondering if we can afford a cruise, and convincing the child that a week at sleepaway summer camp would be FUN. Oh, and looking forward to a FL lae-fest sometime down the road. Normally at this time of year I am working in the yard, not surfing the 'net for travel bargains. So yeah, I guess I've got it, too.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I love winter, even though the winters in southern Indiana aren't much to write home about. Come late February -- early March, when it's pretty obvious we aren't going to get any significant snowfall, I get spring fever. Everything has budded and leafed out now, temps have been warm (although it's supposed to get down to 40F tonight). We have a black cherry tree next to the deck that is covered with bagworms. The kids are having a blast as caterpillars crawl all over their arms, legs.

But I get over spring fever once the temps get into the upper 80s lower 90s and the humidity is about equal to ambient air temps. Then I get "Fall Fever" and long again for a good, deep snowfall:-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
H said:
Does anyone else have the Fever?
Would that be allergy-induced?

Well, I am getting the gardening itch. I have already planted a couple pots and cleaned last year's dead stalks and leaves out of the gardens. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's, which would be a great excuse to leave work early and begin weeding and thinning the perennial beds.

As for Saturday, I will probably hit the farmers market early, then join some friends for a hike among the spring wildflowers at Wildcat Mountain.

Spring ends too early, and then we are into the heat, humidity and mosquitos of summer.

JNL

Cyburbian
:( [flipv]No spring fever here since our seasons are upside-down [/flipv]

But I do get to look at pretty Autumn colours

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's been in the high teens C, 60s F here the past few days. It was rainy today, which I loved. My grass is just sucking up all the moisture.

Spring means vacation soon! Only a few more weeks now until we have a whole week off together.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Well, I am getting the gardening itch. I have already planted a couple pots and cleaned last year's dead stalks and leaves out of the gardens. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's, which would be a great excuse to leave work early and begin weeding and thinning the perennial beds.
I'm with you, Cardinal. I ordered some new plants to add to my perennial garden, and I can't wait for them to arrive. Meanwhile, I've been weeding and mulching and watching the spring migrants (birds) show up at my feeders. I LOVE this time of year!

I worked my *** off in the first quarter of the year, so I plan to take some afternoons off in the coming weeks.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
H said:
L All I can seem to do as of late is listen to Jimmy Buffet, and other similar artists while dinking a beer or rum, and wishing I were in Mexico, Guatamala or somewhere (and the crazy part is that I am seriously thinking of going).
Day before yesterday, it was 70 outside (21 degrees, for those livng in civilized parts of the world).

Yesterday afternoon, I drove home from work in the snow.

Now, I'm looking outside my office window,. The skies are sunny, leaves are budding on the trees, and flowering crabtrees (for those south of the Equator, they look like jacarandas) are in full bloom. The temperature? 32, or as they say on the weather forecast of television stations with call letters beginning with the letter C, "zeru deegrees, eh?"

The place might be called "Cleveland," but the weather here is definitely that of Buffalo.

JNL said:
But I do get to look at pretty Autumn colours
I wonder what would happen here if I took North American nursery stock, and planted them in an area of New Zealand or Australia with a similar climate. Would the trees die? Would you see fall foiliage prematurely? Would the tree experience the flora equivalent of jet lag?

JNL ... one thing to consider when you prepare for your trip here is allergies. North America has the highest incidence of allergies in the world, because it's so heavily vegetated and/or cultivated. Big trees are everywhere, even in some desert areas. Some over-the-counter products, like Claritin, are pretty good, but see if you can get a doctor to write you a prescription for Zyrtec, or whatever its might be called in your part of the world, just in case. It's the only pill that has enabled me to breathe almost perfectly during prime allergy seasons.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Spring Fever???

Got it.

I want to get out on my bike, but my rear wheel is out of true, and I haven't been able to get it straightened.

This weekend is supposed to be nice, but I will be moving my mother-in-law out her mammoth mini-Mcmansion to her condo, so I'll at least I'll be outside some.

I really want to get my kayak here and go out on Lake Michigan.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I've got it bad. To make it worse my brother and his family are planning a big road trip to Florida and Memphis. I been itching to go to Montreal, or Baltimore/DC.

My one year old doesn't appreciate long road trips though. Its like she doesn't even appreciate urban geography.

One of these days I'll be commuting to work and just keep driving and driving . . .

Definitely. Sadly - Can't start planting until about Memorial Day here, but I did start weeding my beds, and my tulips and daffodils look AWESOME. Also, regardless of how windy it is, as long as it isn't precipitating, we've taken Jack and the dogs for walks every night after dinner. LOVE spring.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
In New Orleans, spring fever kicks in high gear with events such as the Crescent City Classic 10K race, the French Quarter Festival, the Jazz and Heritage Festival, and many other local and regional festivals. The fever is upon us and it feels good! :-D

Queen B

Cyburbian
Yes oh Yes, Spring Fever abounds here.

It has been an early spring here which has made us all cautious but planting none the less.

Last year I had a lady come into the office for a CUP for a greenhouse. It was issued and during the process I told her I would happily help she said thanks but did really expect me out there.
Well I surprised her two weeks ago and showed up for her to put me to work.
It has been the very best Mental Health thing I could do for myself. Dr ordered me away from the stress at work and told me to go find something fun to get my mind off things. It has been a wonderful outlet.

Yesterday I saw a Peonnie (sp?) bush in full bloom. Those don't bloom here until Memorial Day, that is how early spring has sprung.

SGB

Cyburbian
OMG - it's contagious

Got it here, too.

For me, spring fever means getting the yard in shape, buying attachments (read "toys") for the lawn tractor, and cleaning out ruins from last season in the planting beds.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I've got it...oops, it's gone. No, it's back again! Crap - gone. That is what spring has been like so far this year around here. It snowed briefly last night. It's supposed to be 20c tomorrow. Make up your freaking mind so I can take all the weatherstripping off the damn house already!!!!!

biscuit

Cyburbian
H said:
Living in FLA I should not get the Spring Fever because it only means that it is about to get H-O-T. But I got it. Got it bad. All I can seem to do as of late is listen to Jimmy Buffet, and other similar artists while dinking a beer or rum, and wishing I were in Mexico, Guatamala or somewhere...
I am with you my brotha. I am so sick of this cold weather (it freaking snowed here yeasterday!) and would like nothing more than to be sitting outdoors in the warm spring air with a drink in hand.

It's finally warming up and the sky is uncharacteristically clear here in the often cloudy 'Burgh. The problem is that, other than my walks to and from the office, I hardly have the time to get out and enjoy it

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Oh yeah, I got it bad. I have been eagerly rushing home when it is nice out so I can grill out, ride my bike, or just hang out on the deck drinking beer and reading. I have been going to the driving range or a nearby putting green during my lunch house just to get outside.

Definitely yes!!! I've planted my flowers for the season, started compiling old clothes and junk to be thrown out and am trying to go to as many festivals and outdoor events as possible. :-D

ludes98

Cyburbian
Yes! I hard time coming back from lunch. Wanted to go home and do some yard work. Pool should be warm enough soon.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
or just hang out on the deck drinking beer and reading.
Now you are talking!

Well, the tulips are just now starting to fade, and friday is Free Tulip Day! Guess who's mom is going to get a ton of Bulbs! The flowers that are remaining are going to go to several friends of mine.

otterpop

Cyburbian
H said:
All I can seem to do as of late is listen to Jimmy Buffet, and other similar artists while dinking a beer or rum, and wishing I were in Mexico, Guatamala or somewhere (and the crazy part is that I am seriously thinking of going).
You can't go very wrong listening to Buffett. I do it all the time and I live in Montana. Just ask yourself, "What would Jimmy do?" There is a man who has made few bad life choices.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I've got it...oops, it's gone. No, it's back again! Crap - gone. That is what spring has been like so far this year around here. It snowed briefly last night. It's supposed to be 20c tomorrow. Make up your freaking mind so I can take all the weatherstripping off the damn house already!!!!!
No freakin' doubt. It snowed about a foot last week and then it has been in the mid-50s to mid-60s ever since. It almost feels like autumn today... cool and crisp.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I wish it was still snowing so all the crazy (AKA normal) people were not out. There is something about walking around in the snow with not that many people in your way that makes life more enjoyable.

Actually got the porch thing going a couple weeks ago until this week when they decided to replace the porch roof. Man they could't have picked a worse time for it, they better hurry it up before the real heat arrives. :eek:| ;) :-b :b:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As beautiful as it was today, I did not get to work in the garden. Instead, when my meeting finished at 2:00 this afternoon, and I found myself in Madison, I stayed. There were some wonderfully small bikinis on the lake shore. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I wonder what would happen here if I took North American nursery stock, and planted them in an area of New Zealand or Australia with a similar climate. Would the trees die? Would you see fall foiliage prematurely? Would the tree experience the flora equivalent of jet lag?
Hmm... not sure. I know we import palm trees and they do alright.

Dan said:
JNL ... one thing to consider when you prepare for your trip here is allergies.
Thanks for the tip. I sometimes get a bit of hayfever, mainly from grass pollen. Didn't get any hayfever last season, I think because I live in the inner city now, away from all the green stuff :) Well, away from fields at least.

Zyrtec we do have here but you don't need a prescription for it.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
As beautiful as it was today, I did not get to work in the garden. Instead, when my meeting finished at 2:00 this afternoon, and I found myself in Madison, I stayed. There were some wonderfully small bikinis on the lake shore. :)
This is the time of year when a fellow planner and I start walking the stair streets behind the office up to the Duquesne University campus to check out the co-ed eye candy. A nice walk on a clear, breezy day surrounded by Catholic college girls in skimpy clothes makes for a great way to treat that Spring fever 8-!...... Geeez, I'm turning into a dirty old man before I'm even thirty.