• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Spring vacations???

Where is your next spring vacation?

• A cruise to the Caribbean

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Go camping with the family

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Go to a zoning/planning seminar

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Romantic weekend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anywhere if you are away from the job

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other to be explained below

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
OK, soon the kids will have a week or so off from school. Or, if you are kid-free, maybe the winter winds will subside and it will be time to hit the road. Where to???

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I tend not to go on vacation in spring. If I do, I may just head to Florida for a few days. But then I do try to get away during January or February (California and New Orleans, in recent years) and I do go hiking/camping in Southeastern Utah every May.

Runner

Cyburbian
No plans for spring vacation here. Our next vacation will be this summer, although we haven’t quite decided where to go yet.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow for a week of golf...I'm going crazy in all this cold weather....oh, how I miss my home state of California....

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
I'm going to the bahamas. Hopefully. I have my time booked of work, but I haven't booked my flights yet as I have to hear from the family friends I intend to stay with. I may end up just going even if I don't hear from them.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
My best friend and I were planning on flying to St. Louis (half way for both of us and the cheapest airfare) next month for a girls weekend.

However, she just got engaged this weekend so I offered to fly to Dallas and do wedding shopping/massage etc.

Either way I'll have a good time.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A friend of mine just bought a house walking distance to the beach in Ft Lauderdale. I'll be going down sometime after all the college kids get out of there.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife and I are hoping to go to the UK for a couple of weeks once she finishes school in April. She's going up north to visit her family for her spring break (this week actually), so I'll be a bachelor for a few days later this week.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I'm hoping to go to Ireland in May. I told my husband to go ahead and plan it, because I just don't have the time. We often wait until the last minute to make our travel arrangements, and as a result, end up with something far less ambitious -- like a long weekend in the mountains...

Hopefully this year we will get our act together. We've only been talking about going to Ireland for 3 years!

Who needs to go anywhere when Mardi Gras is in early spring, the French Quarter festival in April and the Jazz and Heritage Festival in late April through early May? I might squeeze a quick weekend in Gulf Shores but for the most part, I'll be homebound enjoying local festivals and such.

donk

Cyburbian
Planderella,

You are lucky try living in a place where the local festivals are as follows:

1) Rogersville Brussel Sprout Festival, it is so popular it is even mentioned in our MDP.
2) Folksong Festival
3) Irish Festival
4) Pumpkin Festival

5) Other festivals and events

If I can find some web links I'll edit these.

I could go on and on....

For my spring vacation I'll probably be heading to Toronto area for a friend's wedding in June. Until then I'll be nursing a severely frostbitten toe and trying to stay warm.

[EDIT] Added some links to these cultural events [/EDIT]

Last edited:

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
*This weekend, up north to Marquette for the outhouse races.
*Denver for the conference

Can I be be anymore exciting ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I used to go on a trip for my birthday every year, but this year I'll be in Denver.

No other plans really... I will probably end up going to the CIP conference in July in Halifax, so I'll extend that conference into holidays in Nova Scotia. Otherwise, nada!

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I know where Trail Nazi wants to go. Anywere but D.C. with snow "up over my knees"; poor Florida girl. My break will be taking my 9 year old to Boca Raton this week to see the Colorado Rapids (pro soccer team) play the University of Central Florida in an exhibition match. For a school project.

No spring break plans - just lots of weekend road trips to visit friends and family that are dispersed across the state. Maybe to Geneseo for Spring Weekend with a bunch of my sorority girls to pretend we're 20 again for a weekend. Its hard though, to make concrete plans, when I'm pretty much chained to my R.E's office until I get knocked up.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I know where Trail Nazi wants to go. Anywere but D.C. with snow "up over my knees"; poor Florida girl. My break will be taking my 9 year old to Boca Raton this week to see the Colorado Rapids (pro soccer team) play the University of Central Florida in an exhibition match. For a school project.
The Zoning Goddess is very much correct. I would love to be any place that it is not snowing, has snow, or is colder than 75 degrees. Must go back to where it is warm. Snow is not pretty after a day on the ground.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
ecofem said:
Vacation? You mean people are allowed to take vacations?
I have a thought from the "recovering attorney" phrase. You wouldn't happen to be working for a county government just north of Orlando, would you? Our jurisdiction has a former atty in an interesting position.

Richmond and Williamsburg

I'm still in school so have a traditional spring break...but my boyfriend and I are intentionally avoiding typical college spring break locales.

He's flying down from New York and then we're going to take the train to Richmond and then on to Williamsburg - spending two days at each. We're both history buffs and love to wander around different places...plus its more affordable than other vacation options we considered.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I was stationed down there and I believe Plannergirl also has some experience with it. There is a great drive from Williamsburg down to Yorktown. I forget the name of the parkway right now. Yorktown is a nice visit.

kms

Cyburbian
Yorktown is one of the best places I've visited. The guide was so animated and enthusiastic. There is a parkway that connects Williamsburg to Yorktown and Jamestown; I want to say it's called Colonial Parkway. If you can spare time and drive to Monticello, you'll enjoy it and the Charlottesville area, too.

jestes

Cyburbian
Were going to take the kids and head to New Orleans for a few days. Hopefully we can squeeze in the Aquarium, the zoo, the Louisiana Children's Museum, and a few hours wandering aimlessly in the French Quarter. I also have an old family friend who owns a gallery in the Quarter. I hope to be able to catch up with him.

ecofem

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:

I have a thought from the "recovering attorney" phrase. You wouldn't happen to be working for a county government just north of Orlando, would you? Our jurisdiction has a former atty in an interesting position.
Nope. But I just moved from Orlando to Northeast Florida. I'm a planner/lawyer... whatever that is. I knew an attorney who moved from private practice to become a County attorney in Seminole. I think she advises P&Z Boards. Met her at the annual Growth Management conference a couple of years ago....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
ecofem said:

Nope. But I just moved from Orlando to Northeast Florida. I'm a planner/lawyer... whatever that is.
There's a planning firm in Denver ... name escapes me ... which hires only planners with JDs. Clarion Assiciates, I think.[/ot]

As far as my spring break ... after Denver, it's on to Las Cruces for a few days to visit some friends. I don't have any real vacation time for the first six months of employment, so I"m going to be using lots of comp time.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg area is indeed nice, spring or fall is best :) The parkway is indeed nice and easy to navigate-im at a loss for the name as well, its been a few years. There is a kick hinny Maritime meuseum down near Norfolk and many other fun things to do. IF and thats a HUGE IF you can get on Ft Eustis check out the Transporation Meu it has some...intresting things to check out-like UFOs etc. *you think im kidding and im not*

Spent many happy years there.

i dont get "spring break" as such anymore but Scott just got another Microsoft case so im begging him to take me out to Seattle with him next month. Ive got a few friends out that way and could surely keep myself busy while he does his lawyer thing. Any of you guys near Seattle?