• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Springfield Il Photos

jordanb

Cyburbian
I took some pictures with my film camera while waiting for the train to go back to Chicago last time I was home. I just got them scanned. Note: They're not representitive of the city as a whole as I only took them of things around the Amtrak station and from the train.

At any rate, here they are: http://gallery.hafd.org

boiker

Cyburbian
the house you identified as built shortly after WWII in the springfield shots is underestimated in age by at least 20 years. The house was probably built in the mid-late 20s and clad with aluminum siding in the 50s-60s

jordanb

Cyburbian
Why do you say that? I based my estimate on the siding, the horizontal window on the front, and the unemphasized front door, but I admit I'm not an expert at dating buildings.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I would tend to agree with boiker on the age of the house. It has been extensively remuddled, but there are clues. Some of these include the lot size, the style (two-story, likely two-flat), and the neighboring house, which is clearly older.

Habanero

Cyburbian
boiker said:
the house you identified as built shortly after WWII in the springfield shots is underestimated in age by at least 20 years. The house was probably built in the mid-late 20s and clad with aluminum siding in the 50s-60s
OT:
Hey! Long time no posts! How are you and the family? : )

jordanb

Cyburbian
Ok, I've updated the caption.

I also want to apologize for the quality of these images. These were the first batch of pictures I've taken with this camera in years and I'd fogotten much about how to use it, in particular that setting the focus to infinity and forgetting about it while taking outside shots dosen't work because the knob has a tendency to work out of that position.

Also, I just got my scanner last friday and I'm not very good at scanning film yet. The main trouble seems to be that when I tried to equalize colors by hand (which must be done because the images come off the scanner with their colors being in a very poor state and Gimp's auto-equalize function is flaky), I don't correct for my monitor's tendency to de-emphasize green. In the past I've launched a gimp window on my laptop and did the proofing there but I didn't bother with these.

I'll try to eliminate the green tinge in these images but I can't do anything about the slightly out-of-focus ones.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I like the way you assembled the photos. Easy to navigate and good for viewing. Thanks for sharing...

jordanb

Cyburbian
nerudite wrote:
I like the way you assembled the photos. Easy to navigate and good for viewing. Thanks for sharing...
Thanks. :)

A lot of the organisation is done by the gallery program. I'm actually most proud of the captions. I think images are more interesting when there's a story attached, but they often take quite a bit of work. I have a huge backlog of Chicago pictures so hopefully I'll have another batch out this week.

BKM

Cyburbian
Chicago still has the best everyday residential vernacular in the country, imo.

garethace

Cyburbian
If you are looking for some nice European shots of dense urban living, try the Amsterdam and Rotterdam sections here:

http://www.iruditek.com/hedaweb/mod_hedavisor.php

Having visited these places myself, i am amazed at just how densely populated a place like Holland actually is nowadays. But also how nice a place it can be to experience, despite of the densities. In the other old Italian medieval photo collections, you can compare the extremely dense medieval urban environment of pedestrianisation with the broader streets and public areas in your Chicago collection. In fact, without seeing Hector's great couple of shots of Ravena streets, i simple would not have ever believed that streets could be that narrow! I don't think any city in the whole world though, is as interesting from a point of view of bridges, and their relationship with the city, as the city of Venice is. Normally in our Western culture bridges merely become objects of infrastructure - scaleless and designed to get the most cars over the river as possible. The pedestrian is nowhere in the picture at all.

Sometimes you have to go back to the time before mechanisation to find out what pedestrian movement should be all about. In fact, i would be very interested in seeing your photos, Jordan, if you were to travel around Europe some time. Of course, there are others parts of the world too, of which photographers have given time and energy to. My post here includes links to places like Mexican peasant villages, Japanesse spooky dereliction and so on.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?threadid=2039

If you have Quicktime 6.0 installed, i am sure that i liked a couple of VR websites too. The Dutch photographers Dennis Bouma / Monique Westerhof have absolutely brilliant views of urban life in Vietnam and the Phillipine Islands. A density of urban population, that could be very similar to the medieval cities of Europe in their heyday.

Check out some real dereliction, chaos and abandonment in 'Lost in America' or Spooky Japanesse dereliction web sites. Weither it is a motel straight out the Vampires movie, lost in the vastness of Americas mid-west. Or the passing of old regimes, old infrastructure, old religions in Japanesse Islands - i think your 'ugly' Chicago stuff loves quite good by comparison.

Last edited:

boiker

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
OT:
Hey! Long time no posts! How are you and the family? : )
OOT:

Great! We're setteled in fairly well, the baby is now 6 mos old. It's really crazy.

i'm just glad the job hunt ended quicker than i expected it to.

how's everything in AZ? Chandler still?